PDA

View Full Version : Joystick recommendations?

Demonpenta2
September 27th 03, 02:51 PM
OK...To explain my situation:

I'm a newbie to flight sims. Not sure about em. Flying FS2k2 Pro, got it for
Xmas last year, then figured out I needed a joystick. Been slow in getting
one.:-)

I have the reflexes of...er....a snail under relativistic time dilation, and no
hand-eye coordination.:-)

I'm also a college student. Fortunately, I have a single dorm room (just me!
Yay!), but that means I have Not Much Space.

In fact, minimal space. I practically live in a closet.:-)

I'm also, ah...kinda broke. Curse of the College Student.:-)

So...recommendations for cheap joysticks that are...frugal on how much space
they take up?

Brett Holcomb
September 27th 03, 08:59 PM
CH Products makes good joysticks.

--
Brett I. Holcomb

Microsoft MVP
AKA Grunt <><
Remove R777 to email

Paul Hirose
September 28th 03, 08:14 PM
Here's what I had to say on the subject:

http://www.google.com/groups?as_umsgid=3F2EBB8C.34DA78AD%40earthlink.net

Recently I saw these joysticks at Best Buy, so apparently they're
still in production.

--

Paul Hirose >

Doug
September 29th 03, 06:19 AM
I was in the same situation as you, so I got a Microsoft precision 2
joystick off of ebay for less than $15 US. The reason I wanted this
one was its one of the cheapest you can get that has a twist handle
for rudder/ground steering/helicopter control. It was real easy to
install and has preset buttons for FS2002 for elevator trim, flaps,
gear, kneeboard, and of course throttle is built in. Its actually the
one pictured in the Before you fly manual that comes in FS2002. If you
want force feedback you pay alot more for that model. Logitech extreme
is almost the same but less money, but i cant speak for its ease of
installation... good luck!!

Doug

(Demonpenta2) wrote in message >...
> OK...To explain my situation:
>
> I'm a newbie to flight sims. Not sure about em. Flying FS2k2 Pro, got it for
> Xmas last year, then figured out I needed a joystick. Been slow in getting
> one.:-)
>
> I have the reflexes of...er....a snail under relativistic time dilation, and no
> hand-eye coordination.:-)
>
> I'm also a college student. Fortunately, I have a single dorm room (just me!
> Yay!), but that means I have Not Much Space.
>
> In fact, minimal space. I practically live in a closet.:-)
>
> I'm also, ah...kinda broke. Curse of the College Student.:-)
>
> So...recommendations for cheap joysticks that are...frugal on how much space
> they take up?

John Penta
September 29th 03, 01:58 PM
On Sat, 27 Sep 2003 12:49:07 -0700, Biffo >
wrote:

>"Microsoft Precision Pro 2", make sure it's a 2 and not the first one.

Does it do USB?

Brett Holcomb
September 29th 03, 10:54 PM
Pricewise - not bad for a good setup. You can get cheaper if that's what
you want. Twist stick - I can't stand (my Saitek had it and I had a
Sidewinder FF with it) - my feet have to have rudder pedals.

Is your space that limited that the CH HOTAS won't fit?

--
Brett I. Holcomb

Microsoft MVP
AKA Grunt <><
Remove R777 to email

Doug
September 30th 03, 05:08 AM
Im glad you mentioned this John, I was mistaken! The stick I bought
was a MS Precision Pro, the one with the round throttle thats a few
years old, the Precision 2 is the one on store shelves now with the
paddle type throttle. Both are USB, not sure if there are other
differences... There is one model with twist handle thats older than
mine that has a slider throttle and 4 buttons facing the user, that
one is not USB compatable, too old.

Doug

John Penta > wrote in message >...
> On Sat, 27 Sep 2003 12:49:07 -0700, Biffo >
> wrote:
>
> >"Microsoft Precision Pro 2", make sure it's a 2 and not the first one.
>
> Does it do USB?

Jack Straight
March 1st 04, 08:03 AM
(Demonpenta2) wrote

> I'm also a college student. Fortunately, I have a single dorm room
> (just me! Yay!), but that means I have Not Much Space.
> In fact, minimal space. I practically live in a closet.:-)
> I'm also, ah...kinda broke. Curse of the College Student.:-)
> So...recommendations for cheap joysticks that are...frugal on how much
> space they take up?

The author wants a joystick which saves space? That's funny IMO. Maybe
cordless would help, but that's not cheap.

Debug
March 2nd 04, 10:17 PM
"Jack Straight" > wrote in message
s.com...
> (Demonpenta2) wrote
>
> > I'm also a college student. Fortunately, I have a single dorm room
> > (just me! Yay!), but that means I have Not Much Space.
> > In fact, minimal space. I practically live in a closet.:-)
> > I'm also, ah...kinda broke. Curse of the College Student.:-)
> > So...recommendations for cheap joysticks that are...frugal on how much
> > space they take up?
>
> The author wants a joystick which saves space? That's funny IMO. Maybe
> cordless would help, but that's not cheap.

I would say get a Logitech® Extreme™ 3D Pro.

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/products/details/CA/EN,CRID=12,CONTENTID=6954

You can get them cheaper than their web price shows.

Oceanier
March 7th 04, 08:51 AM
I have a Logitech Extreme 3D Pro and it works great. I first started
playing FS2004 with a gamepad. What a nightmare!

I wanted the MS Precision 2 but you can't find it anywhere on the
shelves. At least here in Colorado, Best Buy and Compusa don't
seem to carry the Microsoft joysticks anymore. The Extreme 3D Pro
was my 2nd choice and I'm very happy with it.

Oceanier

SimRadar.com - Search Engine, Downloads, Videos, News and more

John Doe
March 7th 04, 12:15 PM
Oceanier <Oceanier@forums_no_reply> wrote

> I have a Logitech Extreme 3D Pro and it works great. I first started
> playing FS2004 with a gamepad. What a nightmare!
> I wanted the MS Precision 2 but you can't find it anywhere on the
> shelves. At least here in Colorado, Best Buy and Compusa don't
> seem to carry the Microsoft joysticks anymore. The Extreme 3D Pro
> was my 2nd choice and I'm very happy with it.

In case you are wondering why, that might be because Microsoft has stopped
making them. No more Microsoft gaming devices for the PC.

Google