PDA

View Full Version : FS2004/FS9 and ATI Radeon 9800 Pro

October 16th 03, 12:30 PM
I have upgraded my earlier system (1,8G CPU, 500Mb Mem and Nvidia
Gforce 3) which gave stuttering when flying with FS2004.
I have now 2,4G CPU, 1Gb memory and ATI Radeon 9800 Pro (256mb
video ram), and I managed to get the firm to download and install the
latest driverpackage (Catalyst ver. 3.8) which came out october 8th
before I got the PC home.
Last night I hat some test flights. I was able to turn all levers
in the displaysettings to MAX without any visible reduction in
framerate, thas is, no stuttering, feeling that the plane floated
through the air.
Just a little information to the group
from
Gunnar Graff
Tromso, Norway

FlyingAxx
October 16th 03, 08:00 PM
wrote:

> I have upgraded my earlier system (1,8G CPU, 500Mb Mem and Nvidia
> Gforce 3) which gave stuttering when flying with FS2004.
> I have now 2,4G CPU, 1Gb memory and ATI Radeon 9800 Pro (256mb
> video ram), and I managed to get the firm to download and install the
> latest driverpackage (Catalyst ver. 3.8) which came out october 8th
> before I got the PC home.
> Last night I hat some test flights. I was able to turn all levers
> in the displaysettings to MAX without any visible reduction in
> framerate, thas is, no stuttering, feeling that the plane floated
> through the air.
> Just a little information to the group
> from
> Gunnar Graff
> Tromso, Norway

Congratulations Gunnar but just a question: does your Catalyst
recognise the antialiasing settings of your flight sim? Mine doesn't -
as for all previous versions unfortunately.
Please try to set the driver (3D tab) to "Appliction Preference" in
SMOOTHVISION setting (this is default) and set up antialiasing within
MSFS. Compare screenshots taken before and after this specific
setting. I do see no difference (and I zoomed in). The only thing I
can do ist to override the application by customising the driver.
--
Regards
Axel

John Hall
October 18th 03, 06:07 PM
I let the ATI catalyst driver handle antiailising because it does a much
better job. I use a custom setting for all Direct 3D apps of 4 x aa and 8 x
af. FS2004 looks and runs great. I just set it in the driver and forget
it. All apps work very well with the 9800 pro at these settings.

JK

"FlyingAxx" > wrote in message
> wrote:
>
> > I have upgraded my earlier system (1,8G CPU, 500Mb Mem and Nvidia
> > Gforce 3) which gave stuttering when flying with FS2004.
> > I have now 2,4G CPU, 1Gb memory and ATI Radeon 9800 Pro (256mb
> > video ram), and I managed to get the firm to download and install the
> > latest driverpackage (Catalyst ver. 3.8) which came out october 8th
> > before I got the PC home.
> > Last night I hat some test flights. I was able to turn all levers
> > in the displaysettings to MAX without any visible reduction in
> > framerate, thas is, no stuttering, feeling that the plane floated
> > through the air.
> > Just a little information to the group
> > from
> > Gunnar Graff
> > Tromso, Norway
>
> Congratulations Gunnar but just a question: does your Catalyst
> recognise the antialiasing settings of your flight sim? Mine doesn't -
> as for all previous versions unfortunately.
> Please try to set the driver (3D tab) to "Appliction Preference" in
> SMOOTHVISION setting (this is default) and set up antialiasing within
> MSFS. Compare screenshots taken before and after this specific
> setting. I do see no difference (and I zoomed in). The only thing I
> can do ist to override the application by customising the driver.
> --
> Regards
> Axel

FlyingAxx
October 18th 03, 07:07 PM
John Hall wrote:
> I let the ATI catalyst driver handle antiailising because it does a much
> better job. I use a custom setting for all Direct 3D apps of 4 x aa and 8 x
> af. FS2004 looks and runs great. I just set it in the driver and forget
> it. All apps work very well with the 9800 pro at these settings.
>
> JK

<...>
John, this seems the only way to handle it, because ATI doesn't care
about any AA setting within MS FlightSim. I got a corresponding answer
to a related question in an other NG meanwhile.
--
Regards
Axel

Google