PDA

View Full Version : Moller skycar still kicking

Harry K
May 14th 04, 02:53 AM
http://www.moller.com/

I read the first link and skimmed the second. Couldn't take any more
as my sides were splitting. Ceiling 29,000, speed 350.
No...please...stop it!

Harry K

Mike Beede
May 14th 04, 03:37 AM
In article >, Harry K > wrote:

> http://www.moller.com/

Check out <http://www.moller.com/purchase/purch_info.html>. Only $100K
to secure a delivery slot! And the "car" will be priced at (slightly) less than
a million smackers! If you're willing to wait till after position 250 (I think it
was), you only pay $10K and a final price of $500K.

I think I'll wait till postion 100K and pay $10,000....

Mike Beede

B2431
May 14th 04, 04:29 AM
>From: Mike Beede
>

>In article >, Harry K
> wrote:
>
>> http://www.moller.com/
>
>Check out <http://www.moller.com/purchase/purch_info.html>. Only $100K
>to secure a delivery slot! And the "car" will be priced at (slightly) less
>than
>a million smackers! If you're willing to wait till after position 250 (I
>think it
>was), you only pay $10K and a final price of $500K.
>
>I think I'll wait till postion 100K and pay $10,000....
>
> Mike Beede
>
>The article also says something about the recent hover. IIRC that was 2 years
ago. Amazing how a project he has been working on for 30 years still can't
hover out of ground effect let alone transition to horizontal flight. I bet a
few million dollars worth of investment will fix that.

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired

Dillon Pyron
May 14th 04, 03:13 PM
On 14 May 2004 03:29:43 GMT, (B2431) wrote:

>>From: Mike Beede
>>

>>In article >, Harry K
> wrote:
>>
>>> http://www.moller.com/
>>
>>Check out <http://www.moller.com/purchase/purch_info.html>. Only $100K
>>to secure a delivery slot! And the "car" will be priced at (slightly) less
>>than
>>a million smackers! If you're willing to wait till after position 250 (I
>>think it
>>was), you only pay $10K and a final price of $500K.
>>
>>I think I'll wait till postion 100K and pay $10,000....
>>
>> Mike Beede
>>
>>The article also says something about the recent hover. IIRC that was 2 years
>ago. Amazing how a project he has been working on for 30 years still can't
>hover out of ground effect let alone transition to horizontal flight. I bet a
>few million dollars worth of investment will fix that.
>
>Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired

Be my guest :-)

I'm waiting for the exciting computer animation of what it will look
like. That should only take 3 years and a couple million, but it's
all in the name of progress.
--
dillon

When I was a kid, I thought the angel's name was Hark
and the horse's name was Bob.

Sam Byrams
May 14th 04, 11:41 PM
> >The article also says something about the recent hover. IIRC that was 2 years
> ago. Amazing how a project he has been working on for 30 years still can't
> hover out of ground effect let alone transition to horizontal flight. I bet a
> few million dollars worth of investment will fix that.

I bet it wouldn't.

B2431
May 15th 04, 03:20 AM
>From: Dillon Pyron
>Date: 5/14/2004 9:13 AM Central Daylight Time
>
>On 14 May 2004 03:29:43 GMT, (B2431) wrote:
>
>>>From: Mike Beede

>>>Check out <http://www.moller.com/purchase/purch_info.html>. Only $100K
>>>to secure a delivery slot! And the "car" will be priced at (slightly) less
>>>than
>>>a million smackers! If you're willing to wait till after position 250 (I
>>>think it
>>>was), you only pay $10K and a final price of $500K.
>>>
>>>I think I'll wait till postion 100K and pay $10,000....
>>>
>>> Mike Beede
>>>
>>>The article also says something about the recent hover. IIRC that was 2
>years
>>ago. Amazing how a project he has been working on for 30 years still can't
>>hover out of ground effect let alone transition to horizontal flight. I bet
>>few million dollars worth of investment will fix that.
>>
>>Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired
>
>Be my guest :-)
>
>I'm waiting for the exciting computer animation of what it will look
>like. That should only take 3 years and a couple million, but it's
>all in the name of progress.
>--
>dillon

I should have engaged sarcasm mode :)

I am surprised the con artist hasn't made any form of animation let alone 3D.

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired

George Vranek
May 15th 04, 09:50 PM
"Sam Byrams" > schrieb im Newsbeitrag
om...
> > >The article also says something about the recent hover. IIRC that was 2
years
> > ago. Amazing how a project he has been working on for 30 years still
can't
> > hover out of ground effect let alone transition to horizontal flight. I
bet a
> > few million dollars worth of investment will fix that.
>

> I bet it wouldn't.

I bet this could fly from point A to point B without speed limits. See
www.vranek.ch/aerocar.htm

George

Richard Riley
May 15th 04, 10:26 PM
On Sat, 15 May 2004 22:50:36 +0200, "George Vranek"
> wrote:

:I bet this could fly from point A to point B without speed limits. See
:www.vranek.ch/aerocar.htm

Maybe. http://www.fordpinto.com/mitzar1.htm

Bill Daniels
May 15th 04, 10:27 PM
"George Vranek" > wrote in message

> "Sam Byrams" > schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> om...
> years
> > > ago. Amazing how a project he has been working on for 30 years still
> can't
> > > hover out of ground effect let alone transition to horizontal flight.
> bet a
> > > few million dollars worth of investment will fix that.
> >

> > I bet it wouldn't.
>
> I bet this could fly from point A to point B without speed limits. See
> www.vranek.ch/aerocar.htm
>
> George

On no, the flying car again.

Building a flying car is hard. Building a flying ONE CAR GARAGE is easier
and you can put anything in it you like. I like a Mercedes limo in a C-130
although someone suggested that a skate board duct taped to the strut of an
ultralight would work too.

bildan

David O
May 16th 04, 01:05 AM
Richard Riley > wrote:

>>I bet this could fly from point A to point B without speed limits. See
>>www.vranek.ch/aerocar.htm

>Maybe. http://www.fordpinto.com/mitzar1.htm

Thanks for the link, Richard. From the "update" section of that web
site, "The wing struts were attached to the Pinto's body panels with
sheet metal screws and everything was really bad. The guy died over
Oxnard when the struts detached and the wings just folded."

And from http://www.airspacemag.com/ASM/Mag/Index/1996/DJ/ccsf.html

In the 1950s and '60s, Leland Bryan produced a series of
highway-certified folding-wing Roadables that used their pusher
propellers for both air and road power. Bryan died in the crash of his
Roadable III in 1974. And in 1973, Henry Smolinski, mimicking the
ConVairCar rental unit concept, fastened the wings, tail, and aft
engine of a Cessna Skymaster to a Ford Pinto. The wing struts
collapsed on its first test flight, killing Smolinski and the pilot.

David O -- http://www.AirplaneZone.com

Kyle Boatright
May 16th 04, 01:41 AM
"David O" > wrote in message
> Richard Riley > wrote:
>

> >>I bet this could fly from point A to point B without speed limits. See
> >>www.vranek.ch/aerocar.htm
>
> >Maybe. http://www.fordpinto.com/mitzar1.htm
>

> Thanks for the link, Richard. From the "update" section of that web
> site, "The wing struts were attached to the Pinto's body panels with
> sheet metal screws and everything was really bad. The guy died over
> Oxnard when the struts detached and the wings just folded."
>
> And from http://www.airspacemag.com/ASM/Mag/Index/1996/DJ/ccsf.html
>
> In the 1950s and '60s, Leland Bryan produced a series of
> highway-certified folding-wing Roadables that used their pusher
> propellers for both air and road power. Bryan died in the crash of his
> Roadable III in 1974. And in 1973, Henry Smolinski, mimicking the
> ConVairCar rental unit concept, fastened the wings, tail, and aft
> engine of a Cessna Skymaster to a Ford Pinto. The wing struts
> collapsed on its first test flight, killing Smolinski and the pilot.
>
> David O -- http://www.AirplaneZone.com

And now for the NTSB report:

http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief.asp?ev_id=84720&key=0#

KB

Mike Potts
May 16th 04, 08:50 PM
"Mike Beede" > wrote in message
> In article >, Harry K
> wrote:
>
> > http://www.moller.com/
>
> Check out <http://www.moller.com/purchase/purch_info.html>. Only $100K
> to secure a delivery slot! And the "car" will be priced at (slightly)
less than
> a million smackers! If you're willing to wait till after position 250 (I
think it
> was), you only pay $10K and a final price of $500K.
>
> I think I'll wait till postion 100K and pay $10,000....

I presume most of the investors would not lose sleep over the loss of
$100K... they probably consider these payments as purely assisting an R&D
effort. It's the same concept as people kicking in $5 for a worthy cause...

Ernest Christley
May 18th 04, 04:53 PM
Mike Potts wrote:
> "Mike Beede" > wrote in message
>
>>In article >, Harry K
>
> > wrote:
>
>>>http://www.moller.com/
>>
>>Check out <http://www.moller.com/purchase/purch_info.html>. Only $100K
>>to secure a delivery slot! And the "car" will be priced at (slightly)
>
> less than
>
>>a million smackers! If you're willing to wait till after position 250 (I
>
> think it
>
>>was), you only pay $10K and a final price of $500K.
>>
>>I think I'll wait till postion 100K and pay $10,000....
>

> I presume most of the investors would not lose sleep over the loss of
> $100K... they probably consider these payments as purely assisting an R&D
> effort. It's the same concept as people kicking in $5 for a worthy cause...

The key word there is 'WORTHY' cause. If you're going to invest in R&D,
invest in something that has some hope of succeeding. The 4
computer-controlled engines supporting 4 corners concept is a
technological safety nightmare that makes the Marines V-22 Osprey look
as safe as a tricycle. Just ONE of those 4 engines goes south and you
DIE since the car itself has the aerodynamic signature of an old boot.

Circus showmen like Moller need to be exposed for what they really are
so that people who are doing research with some hope of success instead
of looking for publicity can find funding.

--
http://www.ernest.isa-geek.org/
"Ignorance is mankinds normal state,

Regnirps
May 18th 04, 10:20 PM
Do they sell their rotary engine for aviation applications?

-- Charlie Springer

Chris W
May 19th 04, 03:15 AM
Bill Daniels wrote:

> Building a flying car is hard. Building a flying ONE CAR GARAGE is easier
> and you can put anything in it you like.

hmm.... I wonder how big of a car you could get in a DC-3 through the
standard cargo door.

Chris W
--
Bring Back the HP 15C
http://hp15c.org:8080

Not getting the gifts you want? The Wish Zone can help.
http://thewishzone.com:8086

Harry K
May 19th 04, 03:21 AM
Ernest Christley > wrote in message >...
> Mike Potts wrote:
> > "Mike Beede" > wrote in message

> >>Check out <http://www.moller.com/purchase/purch_info.html>. Only $100K
> >>to secure a delivery slot! And the "car" will be priced at (slightly)
> >
> > less than
> >
> >>a million smackers! If you're willing to wait till after position 250 (I
> >
> > think it
> >
> >>was), you only pay $10K and a final price of $500K.
> >>
> >>I think I'll wait till postion 100K and pay $10,000....
> >

> > I presume most of the investors would not lose sleep over the loss of
> > $100K... they probably consider these payments as purely assisting an R&D
> > effort. It's the same concept as people kicking in $5 for a worthy cause...
> >

> The key word there is 'WORTHY' cause. If you're going to invest in R&D,
> invest in something that has some hope of succeeding. The 4
> computer-controlled engines supporting 4 corners concept is a
> technological safety nightmare that makes the Marines V-22 Osprey look
> as safe as a tricycle. Just ONE of those 4 engines goes south and you
> DIE since the car itself has the aerodynamic signature of an old boot.
>
> Circus showmen like Moller need to be exposed for what they really are
> so that people who are doing research with some hope of success instead
> of looking for publicity can find funding.

The second key word is 'VOLUNTARY'. I don't recall being asked for my
approval before the gummint kicked in what? 5 mil? Twice? of my tax
money.

Harry K

Wright1902Glider
May 26th 04, 05:16 PM
Chris,

If its a C-47, then the answer is a WW2 Jeep. I'm guessing a Mini, Metro, or
VW Bug-sans-fenders might also go. Even better would be an old Austin Healey
or Triumph, etc... then you could work the whole "Look what I brought back
from England after the war" angle.

I also once saw a photo of Martin Caidin (sp?) rolling a Harley chopper out of
a JU-52.

BTW, Moller's current incantation (incarnation? incarceration?, inceneration?)
looks an aweful lot like an XV ship that was built about 40 years ago. Four
vectored engine/props hung on the corners of what looked like a Lear fuselage.
Suffice to say that it didn't work. Ditto for Piasecki's (sp again?) Helistat
(blimp bag w/4 Sikorski helicopters welded to its keel).

I had a chance to see Bell's XV-15 in 1984 when it was on its way to Ft. Rucker
for Army trials. When it stopped in at Lafayette, LA, it taxied up to the PHI
ramp, shut down, and then spent the next 5 minutes being toweled off inside.
Apparently, it had a healthy hydraulic leak that we weren't supposed to see.
It was an impressive ship, extremely quiet, and faster than a Citation 4...
But I'd be willing to bet that transitioning in thinking from flying
rotary-wing to fixed-wing, and back again is very hard to master. After
driving my truck all day, its very hard to jump in my car and remember not to
shift out of park by pulling on the windshield-wiper stalk.

Fun stuff,
Harry

Google