PDA

View Full Version : Landing into a short field with obstacle on Final-The "window" method

May 11th 15, 03:31 PM
I remember John Good (?) mentioning somewhere that when landing out he plans his pattern so that on final he passes through an imaginary window a bit above the final obstacle, at the right speed and aligned with the runway.
Wonder if someone has more information or can expand ?
Dan

May 11th 15, 04:10 PM
On Monday, May 11, 2015 at 10:31:29 AM UTC-4, wrote:
> I remember John Good (?) mentioning somewhere that when landing out he plans his pattern so that on final he passes through an imaginary window a bit above the final obstacle, at the right speed and aligned with the runway.
> Wonder if someone has more information or can expand ?
> Dan

The description sounds self explanatory to me.
UH

jfitch
May 11th 15, 04:16 PM
On Monday, May 11, 2015 at 7:31:29 AM UTC-7, wrote:
> I remember John Good (?) mentioning somewhere that when landing out he plans his pattern so that on final he passes through an imaginary window a bit above the final obstacle, at the right speed and aligned with the runway.
> Wonder if someone has more information or can expand ?
> Dan

The sill on the window isn't so imaginary...

Jonathan St. Cloud
May 11th 15, 04:54 PM
On Monday, May 11, 2015 at 7:31:29 AM UTC-7, wrote:
> I remember John Good (?) mentioning somewhere that when landing out he plans his pattern so that on final he passes through an imaginary window a bit above the final obstacle, at the right speed and aligned with the runway.
> Wonder if someone has more information or can expand ?
> Dan

Dan take a look at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXImj2rGkf8&spfreload=10 I think the most important thing is to always have an aim point, for every landing on your home field. This way when you land at another airport or field you will be able to spot land. Remember an obstacle on final will shorten your landing area by 8 times the height of the obstacle. For many pilots the aim point is the runway!

May 11th 15, 06:41 PM
I thought your aim point should be the bottom sill of that "window" and than another aim point on the runway.
On Monday, May 11, 2015 at 10:31:29 AM UTC-4, wrote:
> I remember John Good (?) mentioning somewhere that when landing out he plans his pattern so that on final he passes through an imaginary window a bit above the final obstacle, at the right speed and aligned with the runway.
> Wonder if someone has more information or can expand ?
> Dan

Tango Eight
May 11th 15, 06:57 PM
On Monday, May 11, 2015 at 11:54:24 AM UTC-4, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:

> Dan take a look at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXImj2rGkf8&spfreload=10

That is an *excellent* presentation!

T8

May 14th 15, 02:02 PM
Thank you Jonathan great video.
Dan
On Monday, May 11, 2015 at 10:31:29 AM UTC-4, wrote:
> I remember John Good (?) mentioning somewhere that when landing out he plans his pattern so that on final he passes through an imaginary window a bit above the final obstacle, at the right speed and aligned with the runway.
> Wonder if someone has more information or can expand ?
> Dan

Google