PDA

View Full Version : ATI 9600XT owners unite! :-)

FaxCap
November 28th 03, 07:02 AM
Hi All

How about we all share some of our info like settings and what drivers
we are using? :-)

I just installed my 9600XT and sure would like to know what others
have their settings at.

Right now I have the drivers that came on the Asus CD. This is an
Asus 9600XT by the way. I did find drivers on the ATI site the
Catalyst 3.9's but haven't installed them. Has anyone out there
installed the 3.9 drivers?

Thanks
FaxCap

Bill
November 28th 03, 12:35 PM
I will whenever I get mine.

Did you try it with FS2004 using the drivers on the CD?
Bill

"FaxCap" <not@address> wrote in message
> Hi All
>
> How about we all share some of our info like settings and what drivers
> we are using? :-)
>
> I just installed my 9600XT and sure would like to know what others
> have their settings at.
>
> Right now I have the drivers that came on the Asus CD. This is an
> Asus 9600XT by the way. I did find drivers on the ATI site the
> Catalyst 3.9's but haven't installed them. Has anyone out there
> installed the 3.9 drivers?
>
> Thanks
> FaxCap

John Hall
November 28th 03, 09:02 PM
I'm using the 3.9 drivers on my 9800 pro. If you fly with FS2004 these
drivers are a must because they fixed several problems with the sim. My
resolution is 1024x768, 4XAA and 8XAF, and all runs as smooth as butter.
Looks great too.

JK

"FaxCap" <not@address> wrote in message
> Hi All
>
> How about we all share some of our info like settings and what drivers
> we are using? :-)
>
> I just installed my 9600XT and sure would like to know what others
> have their settings at.
>
> Right now I have the drivers that came on the Asus CD. This is an
> Asus 9600XT by the way. I did find drivers on the ATI site the
> Catalyst 3.9's but haven't installed them. Has anyone out there
> installed the 3.9 drivers?
>
> Thanks
> FaxCap

FaxCap
November 29th 03, 03:19 PM
On Fri, 28 Nov 2003 07:35:47 -0500, "Bill" > wrote:

>I will whenever I get mine.
>
>Did you try it with FS2004 using the drivers on the CD?
>Bill

Yes, FS9 and the CD drivers right now but I have the ATI 3.9 driver
sitting here.

I have the Asus version and ATI's card will be here in Vancouver
this week by the looks of it. The Asus card was $5CAN more expensive.
:-)

FaxCap
November 29th 03, 03:24 PM
On Fri, 28 Nov 2003 21:02:08 GMT, "John Hall" >
wrote:

>I'm using the 3.9 drivers on my 9800 pro. If you fly with FS2004 these
>drivers are a must because they fixed several problems with the sim. My
>resolution is 1024x768, 4XAA and 8XAF, and all runs as smooth as butter.
>Looks great too.

I have the 3.9's on my drive but not installed yet. I think I'll do
that later today.

This A7V motherboard only has AGPx4 do you think that will affect my
settings at all?

So AA=4X and AF=8X.....Do you have your FS9 settings at Ultra HIGH or
just HIGH?

With these CD drivers (which can be that old as the board was made
less than 6 weeks ago) I don't like the water textures at all.

FaxCap

John Hall
November 29th 03, 07:37 PM
I don't have all of my settings turned up to max. Scenery Density is a max,
aircraft textures are a max, and I have set the slider for clouds so that
they always look nice and fluffy. If you turn it down too low, the clouds
in the distance take on a 2D look. I found that there is a sweet spot in
the settings which allow for max graphics quality combined with excellent
performance. In some cases maxing out the sliders does nothing for the
scenery, but can affect performance. I'd suggest playing with it a bit
until you hit the sweet spot on your system.

JK

"FaxCap" <not@address> wrote in message
> On Fri, 28 Nov 2003 21:02:08 GMT, "John Hall" >
> wrote:
>
> >I'm using the 3.9 drivers on my 9800 pro. If you fly with FS2004 these
> >drivers are a must because they fixed several problems with the sim. My
> >resolution is 1024x768, 4XAA and 8XAF, and all runs as smooth as butter.
> >Looks great too.
>
> I have the 3.9's on my drive but not installed yet. I think I'll do
> that later today.
>
> This A7V motherboard only has AGPx4 do you think that will affect my
> settings at all?
>
> So AA=4X and AF=8X.....Do you have your FS9 settings at Ultra HIGH or
> just HIGH?
>
> With these CD drivers (which can be that old as the board was made
> less than 6 weeks ago) I don't like the water textures at all.
>
> FaxCap

FaxCap
November 29th 03, 08:12 PM
On Sat, 29 Nov 2003 19:37:39 GMT, "John Hall" >
wrote:

>I don't have all of my settings turned up to max. Scenery Density is a max,
>aircraft textures are a max, and I have set the slider for clouds so that
>they always look nice and fluffy. If you turn it down too low, the clouds
>in the distance take on a 2D look. I found that there is a sweet spot in
>the settings which allow for max graphics quality combined with excellent
>performance. In some cases maxing out the sliders does nothing for the
>scenery, but can affect performance. I'd suggest playing with it a bit
>until you hit the sweet spot on your system.

Hi again, John.

I am with you on the clouds....I found the same thing this morning.
I ended up using a setting that looks to be about 65%-70% area where
the clouds look very real and no performance hits.

I will try the Ultra High settings on aircraft or Scenery in the next
day or two and see what happens.

FaxCap

Randall
December 18th 03, 02:56 AM
FaxCap <not@address> wrote in message >...
> Hi All
>
> How about we all share some of our info like settings and what drivers
> we are using? :-)
>
> I just installed my 9600XT and sure would like to know what others
> have their settings at.
>
> Right now I have the drivers that came on the Asus CD. This is an
> Asus 9600XT by the way. I did find drivers on the ATI site the
> Catalyst 3.9's but haven't installed them. Has anyone out there
> installed the 3.9 drivers?
>
> Thanks
> FaxCap

The drivers on the cd at this time is by far your best bet....I have
tried several including the new ones on the Asus website....Only the
original ones work without problems.....Hope this helps

FaxCap
December 18th 03, 05:51 PM
On 17 Dec 2003 18:56:39 -0800, (Randall) wrote:

>The drivers on the cd at this time is by far your best bet....I have
>tried several including the new ones on the Asus website....Only the
>original ones work without problems.....Hope this helps

My new 9600XT and I are settling in quite well. :-)

I have had good luck with the latest drivers on the Asus Web site.
No problems at all. I understand they are Asus tweaked 3.9 ATI
drivers. I had some problems with the ATI 3.9 but whatever Asus did
to tweak them for their cards worked great.

Bill
December 19th 03, 12:42 PM
Well just got my ATI 9600XT and install was a breeze. The eye candy in
FS2004 is much nicer but frame rates around real clouds still quite bad. Out
side of this frame rates did improve 10 or more when clouds not around. Sort
of disappointed but I guess my P4 /1.9 is too old now.
Bill

"FaxCap" <fly@noon> wrote in message
> On 17 Dec 2003 18:56:39 -0800, (Randall) wrote:
>
> >The drivers on the cd at this time is by far your best bet....I have
> >tried several including the new ones on the Asus website....Only the
> >original ones work without problems.....Hope this helps
>
> My new 9600XT and I are settling in quite well. :-)
>

> I have had good luck with the latest drivers on the Asus Web site.
> No problems at all. I understand they are Asus tweaked 3.9 ATI
> drivers. I had some problems with the ATI 3.9 but whatever Asus did
> to tweak them for their cards worked great.

FaxCap
December 19th 03, 03:32 PM
On Fri, 19 Dec 2003 07:42:57 -0500, "Bill" > wrote:

I also noticed the "weather" settings make a big hit on frame rates.
I'm on a 1.83ghz Athlon....it's amazing to think that speed may be
too slow now! :-)

>Well just got my ATI 9600XT and install was a breeze. The eye candy in
>FS2004 is much nicer but frame rates around real clouds still quite bad. Out
>side of this frame rates did improve 10 or more when clouds not around. Sort
>of disappointed but I guess my P4 /1.9 is too old now.
>Bill

Google