PDA

View Full Version : Tetherd Zepplin in FS2002

Doug
December 18th 03, 06:22 PM
I was flying east over Key West Florida when I saw what appeared to be
a freakin tall tower! It turned out to be a tetherd Zepplin anchored
at Sugar Loaf Shores Airstrip (7X1)! I was at 5000 ft and it was way
higher, and there were red lights on the cable, a green light at the
base. WHat the hell is that all about? Is there one there in real
life? Any FLorida residents out there? Never seen that one before....

Doug ___[:]>)

Quilljar
December 19th 03, 12:00 AM
Doug wrote:
> I was flying east over Key West Florida when I saw what appeared to be
> a freakin tall tower! It turned out to be a tetherd Zepplin anchored
> at Sugar Loaf Shores Airstrip (7X1)! I was at 5000 ft and it was way
> higher, and there were red lights on the cable, a green light at the
> base. WHat the hell is that all about? Is there one there in real
> life? Any FLorida residents out there? Never seen that one before....
>
> Doug ___[:]>)

It has been mentioned. I believe it is a tethered weather balloon.

---

Medic9211
December 19th 03, 01:01 AM
Doug,
That balloon is what is affectionately called "Fat Albert". It is housed just
south of Big Pine Key. There are two of the balloons and only one flies at a
time.
There are many stories of what the balloon is used for two of which are that it
is a weather balloon and the other, considering that the facility is surrounded
by satellite dishes, is that it is used to assist in the transmision of radio
signals to Cuba.

Kevin Darling
December 19th 03, 04:17 AM
(Doug) wrote in message >...
> I was flying east over Key West Florida when I saw what appeared to be
> a freakin tall tower! It turned out to be a tetherd Zepplin anchored
> at Sugar Loaf Shores Airstrip (7X1)! I was at 5000 ft and it was way
> higher, and there were red lights on the cable, a green light at the
> base. WHat the hell is that all about? Is there one there in real
> life? Any FLorida residents out there? Never seen that one before....

I did a little Googling, and it looks like it must be the TV Marti
transmitter balloon at Cudjoe Key, FL, used to broadcast to Cuba.

Kev

Peter Ashby
December 26th 03, 01:11 AM
"Kevin Darling" > wrote in message
om...
> (Doug) wrote in message
> > I was flying east over Key West Florida when I saw what appeared to be
> > a freakin tall tower! It turned out to be a tetherd Zepplin anchored
> > at Sugar Loaf Shores Airstrip (7X1)! I was at 5000 ft and it was way
> > higher, and there were red lights on the cable, a green light at the
> > base. WHat the hell is that all about? Is there one there in real
> > life? Any FLorida residents out there? Never seen that one before....
>
> I did a little Googling, and it looks like it must be the TV Marti
> transmitter balloon at Cudjoe Key, FL, used to broadcast to Cuba.
>
> Kev

Just flown by to take a look. It's at 14,000 ft and there is a good view of
Cuba from there.
Neat :)

Pete

Angus Lepper
December 26th 03, 02:27 PM
I once came across something near there in, that musta been it. Cool.

"Peter Ashby" > wrote in message

> "Kevin Darling" > wrote in message
> om...
> > (Doug) wrote in message
> > > I was flying east over Key West Florida when I saw what appeared to be
> > > a freakin tall tower! It turned out to be a tetherd Zepplin anchored
> > > at Sugar Loaf Shores Airstrip (7X1)! I was at 5000 ft and it was way
> > > higher, and there were red lights on the cable, a green light at the
> > > base. WHat the hell is that all about? Is there one there in real
> > > life? Any FLorida residents out there? Never seen that one before....
> >
> > I did a little Googling, and it looks like it must be the TV Marti
> > transmitter balloon at Cudjoe Key, FL, used to broadcast to Cuba.
> >
> > Kev
>
> Just flown by to take a look. It's at 14,000 ft and there is a good view
of
> Cuba from there.
> Neat :)
>
> Pete