PDA

View Full Version : Oudie users

HGXC[_3_]
May 30th 15, 04:32 PM
My Oudie is set up to use external GPS from my Cambridge. My process before flight is to turn on the Cambridge so it will lock the satellites (start blinking), then I turn on the Oudie. It always give me a quick notice that it has lost the GPS signal and then it works fine. My question is ...is there anyway I can tell from the GPS status box on screen what source its pulling the GPS from?

Dennis

Sierra Whiskey
May 30th 15, 04:53 PM
On my Oudie the GPS status box indicates Primary and Secondary. When it is configured to use an External source that external source becomes the primary GPS input. The internal GPS receiver is then used as a secondary or backup source.

-SW

HGXC[_3_]
May 30th 15, 05:35 PM
On Saturday, May 30, 2015 at 11:53:27 AM UTC-4, Sierra Whiskey wrote:
> On my Oudie the GPS status box indicates Primary and Secondary. When it is configured to use an External source that external source becomes the primary GPS input. The internal GPS receiver is then used as a secondary or backup source.
>
> -SW

What does the message look like when primary? Mine says things like 3D/8 or Bad data or No Data stuff like that.

Dennis

D M[_2_]
May 30th 15, 06:28 PM
At 16:35 30 May 2015, HGXC wrote:
>On Saturday, May 30, 2015 at 11:53:27 AM UTC-4, Sierra Whiskey
wrote:
>> On my Oudie the GPS status box indicates Primary and Secondary.
When it
>is configured to use an External source that external source becomes
the
>primary GPS input. The internal GPS receiver is then used as a
secondary or
>backup source.
>>
>> -SW
>
>What does the message look like when primary? Mine says things like
3D/8 or
>Bad data or No Data stuff like that.
>
>Dennis

If I am not mistaken, It gives a warning box that states the primary
gps signal is lost then it will ask if you want to use the backup. It is a

box that blocks the primary display. Doug

Sean Franke
May 31st 15, 04:11 AM
On Saturday, May 30, 2015 at 8:32:30 AM UTC-7, HGXC wrote:
> My Oudie is set up to use external GPS from my Cambridge. My process before flight is to turn on the Cambridge so it will lock the satellites (start blinking), then I turn on the Oudie. It always give me a quick notice that it has lost the GPS signal and then it works fine. My question is ...is there anyway I can tell from the GPS status box on screen what source its pulling the GPS from?
>
> Dennis

Dennis,

You can disable the backup GPS to verify a good Cambridge connection. MENU>SETTINGS>HARDWARE>use backup GPS.

Sean Franke

Paul Remde
June 1st 15, 04:46 AM
Hi Dennis,

I suspect that you need to setup your GPS status Nav Box to display all 3
rows. Then you'll see whether it is receiving primary or backup GPS data.
Go to Menu, Settings, Nav Boxes and edit the settings for the GPS status
navbox.

Best Regards,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.

"HGXC" wrote in message

My Oudie is set up to use external GPS from my Cambridge. My process before
flight is to turn on the Cambridge so it will lock the satellites (start
blinking), then I turn on the Oudie. It always give me a quick notice that
it has lost the GPS signal and then it works fine. My question is ...is
there anyway I can tell from the GPS status box on screen what source its
pulling the GPS from?

Dennis

MNLou
June 1st 15, 11:37 AM
Another option - Just touch the "map" button (second from right on the bottom of the main screen, next to Menu) twice. That takes you to the Status screen. GPS source info is right at the top below the battery status.

Lou

HGXC[_3_]
June 1st 15, 01:05 PM
On Saturday, May 30, 2015 at 11:32:30 AM UTC-4, HGXC wrote:
> My Oudie is set up to use external GPS from my Cambridge. My process before flight is to turn on the Cambridge so it will lock the satellites (start blinking), then I turn on the Oudie. It always give me a quick notice that it has lost the GPS signal and then it works fine. My question is ...is there anyway I can tell from the GPS status box on screen what source its pulling the GPS from?
>
> Dennis

Thanks Everyone for your help, Paul was right I didn't have the nav box correct. This instrument has more ways to adjust then i can keep track off.

Dennis

HGXC[_3_]
June 4th 15, 02:36 PM
On Saturday, May 30, 2015 at 11:32:30 AM UTC-4, HGXC wrote:
> My Oudie is set up to use external GPS from my Cambridge. My process before flight is to turn on the Cambridge so it will lock the satellites (start blinking), then I turn on the Oudie. It always give me a quick notice that it has lost the GPS signal and then it works fine. My question is ...is there anyway I can tell from the GPS status box on screen what source its pulling the GPS from?
>
> Dennis

I noticed that even after I turn on my cambridge and let it acquire the satellites when I turn on my Oudie it doesn't pick up the primary and goes tpo secondary. I have to go into the menu and change it back to the primary and then its fine. Why doesn't it accept the primary right off? It connects to the glider battery right off.

Dennis

Richard[_9_]
June 4th 15, 03:29 PM
On Thursday, June 4, 2015 at 6:36:05 AM UTC-7, HGXC wrote:
> On Saturday, May 30, 2015 at 11:32:30 AM UTC-4, HGXC wrote:
> > My Oudie is set up to use external GPS from my Cambridge. My process before flight is to turn on the Cambridge so it will lock the satellites (start blinking), then I turn on the Oudie. It always give me a quick notice that it has lost the GPS signal and then it works fine. My question is ...is there anyway I can tell from the GPS status box on screen what source its pulling the GPS from?
> >
> > Dennis
>
> I noticed that even after I turn on my cambridge and let it acquire the satellites when I turn on my Oudie it doesn't pick up the primary and goes tpo secondary. I have to go into the menu and change it back to the primary and then its fine. Why doesn't it accept the primary right off? It connects to the glider battery right off.
>
> Dennis

Dennis,

Go Menu Settings Hardware (make sure Use Backup GPS & GPS Forwarding is not checked)

If Use Backup GPS is checked even a slight hiccup in the CAI will cause the Oudie to go to the Backup internal GPS. This may also cause problems with the settings of you QNH altitmeter and final glide calcs.

So it is my opinion that the Backup GPS should never be checked.

If your CAI fails you can always go to the Hardware page and select the Oudie internal GPS.

Richard
www.craggyaero.com

D M[_2_]
June 4th 15, 04:32 PM
At 13:36 04 June 2015, HGXC wrote:
>On Saturday, May 30, 2015 at 11:32:30 AM UTC-4, HGXC wrote:
>> My Oudie is set up to use external GPS from my Cambridge. My
process
>befo=
>re flight is to turn on the Cambridge so it will lock the satellites
>(start=
> blinking), then I turn on the Oudie. It always give me a quick
notice
>that=
> it has lost the GPS signal and then it works fine. My question is
...is
>th=
>ere anyway I can tell from the GPS status box on screen what
source its
>pul=
>ling the GPS from?
>>=20
>> Dennis
>
>I noticed that even after I turn on my cambridge and let it acquire
the
>sat=
>ellites when I turn on my Oudie it doesn't pick up the primary and
goes
>tpo=
> secondary. I have to go into the menu and change it back to the
primary
>an=
>d then its fine. Why doesn't it accept the primary right off? It
connects
>t=
>o the glider battery right off.
>
>Dennis

Dennis are you hitting save after you make a change to the GPS
input. If you dont save the changes it reverts to what you had last
time you turned it on. Goto Menu/change GPS Input/Menu/save/
then turn it off and turn it back on. Doug

HGXC[_3_]
June 4th 15, 10:30 PM
On Saturday, May 30, 2015 at 11:32:30 AM UTC-4, HGXC wrote:
> My Oudie is set up to use external GPS from my Cambridge. My process before flight is to turn on the Cambridge so it will lock the satellites (start blinking), then I turn on the Oudie. It always give me a quick notice that it has lost the GPS signal and then it works fine. My question is ...is there anyway I can tell from the GPS status box on screen what source its pulling the GPS from?
>
> DenniS

I do want the secondary if the primary fails after say 10 seconds but I also want it to switch back when the primary becomes available.

Can i do that?

Dennis

Bill T
June 5th 15, 03:42 AM
Mine switches back and forth with no issues. If the nano is on and has a good GPS signal the Oudie picks up the Nano. If I unplug the nano, it reverts to internal GPS and when I plug the nano back into the "system", it goes back to the nano.
BillT

June 5th 15, 04:22 AM
That is exactly how my Oudie 2 functions.
Automatic switching.

Google