PDA

View Full Version : Re: ASW-20 spins

Chris Rollings[_2_]
June 3rd 15, 03:17 PM
Varies considerably with C of G position as well as from type to type. It
can also vary with mode of spin entry. The requirement, at the time of
Certification of the ASW20 in 1977, was "after a 5 turn spin, with the
aircraft in the most adverse configuration (normally this would be extended
aft C of G and usually positive flap in a flapped glider), the glider
should recover within 2 turns from intiation of recovery, which was,
central ailerons, full opposite rudder and stick progressivly forward until
the spinning stops. I did the UK testing for UK Certification of the ASW20
when it first arrived here. It came out in a little over 1 turn in the
worst configuration.

Some types may need full forward stick at aft C of G.

At 03:49 03 June 2015, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:
>I was just doing spins with a highly qualified instructor. My first two
>spi=
>ns, opposite rudder, neutral stick. I was told to move stick forward on
>th=
>e next three spins at same time as opposite rudder, recovery was faster
>wit=
>h less altitude loss, due to breaking the stall faster. I did not slam
>the=
> stick forward but I did for maybe a second move it forward. I have done
>l=
>ots of spins in gliders and powered planes, I think the stick position is
>s=
>omewhat glider specific. I have also soon a glider that would enter a
>spin=
> and immediately go to a spiral. The moral is get to know the spin
>characte=
>ristics of your glider

Google