PDA

View Full Version : Real GPS data into Flight sim 9.

Brian Heiland
December 28th 03, 02:19 PM
Has anyone been able to take actual GPS track data from a Garmin GPS, and
converted it to a replay file in FS 2004?

I realize that the GPS data would not include any pitch or bank information,
but it would have heading information, and position information.

Is the replay file format of Flight sim 2004 available? If nobody has done
this, I'd consider giving it a try.

I would like to take a few of my actual flights and replay them in Flight
simulator to evaluate my flight.

Flight instructors could use data like this when new students first start
doing solo cross country flights to "replay" a students cross country.

Any thoughts?

Brian Heiland

Timbro
December 29th 03, 08:45 PM
"Brian Heiland" > wrote in message >...
> Has anyone been able to take actual GPS track data from a Garmin GPS, and
> converted it to a replay file in FS 2004?
>
> I realize that the GPS data would not include any pitch or bank information,
> but it would have heading information, and position information.
>
> Is the replay file format of Flight sim 2004 available? If nobody has done
> this, I'd consider giving it a try.
>
> I would like to take a few of my actual flights and replay them in Flight
> simulator to evaluate my flight.
>
> Flight instructors could use data like this when new students first start
> doing solo cross country flights to "replay" a students cross country.
>
> Any thoughts?
>
> Brian Heiland

I know you can get GPS data out of Flight Simulator to a moving map
program, but I dont think you can get GPS data into FS.

I carry a handheld Magellan Sportrak Pro when I fly gliders.
Besides the Magellan software, I use :
DeLorme Topo 4 to view the track over 3-D terrain topos.
http://www.delorme.com/topousa/moreinfo.asp

Also my favorite:
To play back a track over 3-D vector maps I like SeeYou.
I convert the Magellan track (or Garmin)to an igc file using G7toWin.
http://www.gpsinformation.org/ronh/g7towin.htm
Then playback igc file with SeeYou.
http://www.seeyou.ws/

Hope this helps,