PDA

View Full Version : Schempp-Hirth Dealer flying Schleicher Glider at open nationals?

June 24th 15, 06:27 AM
Could not help but notice the Schempp-Hirth dealer is flying a Schleicher ASW-22 at the open nationals.

Tango Eight
June 24th 15, 07:22 AM
On Wednesday, June 24, 2015 at 1:27:49 AM UTC-4, wrote:
> Could not help but notice the Schempp-Hirth dealer is flying a Schleicher ASW-22 at the open nationals.

Heinz is a little bigger than "the Schempp Hirth dealer" and the Eta Biter is a little bigger than an "ASW-22".

Evan Ludeman / T8

Jonathan St. Cloud
June 24th 15, 09:40 PM
I sure wish the work that the team who made the Eta Biter and Concordia translated to a production glider :(

Amazing work though on these birds. Hell I would even love it if the Quintus was in production. While I do love flying smaller ships there is nothing like an open class bird, they are the most beautiful and man can they go. Noticed that the open speeds at Hobbs were approximately 8 mph faster than the 18 meter birds, and that is I assume in the normal strong conditions of Hobbs.

On Tuesday, June 23, 2015 at 11:23:00 PM UTC-7, Tango Eight wrote:

> Heinz is a little bigger than "the Schempp Hirth dealer" and the Eta Biter is a little bigger than an "ASW-22".
>
> Evan Ludeman / T8

Tony[_5_]
June 25th 15, 01:09 AM
Weather hasn't been particularly strong yet at hobbs from what I've read. When it is look for speeds to vary based on wing loading not wing span

Steve Leonard[_2_]
June 25th 15, 06:52 AM
To the post on the other thread, the Nimbus 3 is still great fun, too, even though outgunned by the super tuned 22s, Concordia, and 21 meter JS-1s. Likely also the Arcus. But, that doesn't stop me from racing mine. Now, if I was just permitted to fly it at the same gross weight as the other 25+ meter span ships (My Nimbus A/W says its gross weight is 1930 lbs. But, i would be happy to fly it at 1875 and not go all the way to my max allowed weight).

Steve Leonard
(stepped up from the 604 to the Nimbus 3)

Dave Nadler
June 27th 15, 03:34 AM
Calling Eta-Biter an ASW-22 is kinda like calling a 450hp hotrod "just a model T". While it is true Dick bought a new ASW-22B for some parts to build this glider, Dick built everything aft of the wings (tailcone, fin, stab, retractable tailwheel), and of course the wings are different (structure, airfoil, pilot-controlled blower turbulation, etc).

It's true, the dataplate still says "ASW-22" ;-)

Anyway, its Heinz's reward for helping on Concordia.

From Hobbs,
See ya, Dave "YO"

Jonathan St. Cloud
June 27th 15, 04:18 AM
I wonder how the Eta Biter, concordia, EB29-28, Quintus, and JS1C compare to one another. What is the best open class glider? Of course right now all you can buy are the EB29 and JS1C. Are these gliders a significant improvement over the ASW-22BL, Nimbus 4? Any polar testing done?

> Calling Eta-Biter an ASW-22 is kinda like calling a 450hp hotrod "just a model T". While it is true Dick bought a new ASW-22B for some parts to build this glider, Dick built everything aft of the wings (tailcone, fin, stab, retractable tailwheel), and of course the wings are different (structure, airfoil, pilot-controlled blower turbulation, etc).
>
> It's true, the dataplate still says "ASW-22" ;-)
>
> Anyway, its Heinz's reward for helping on Concordia.
>
> From Hobbs,
> See ya, Dave "YO"

Bob Gibbons[_2_]
June 27th 15, 06:21 AM
For those interested in more details, see;
http://soaringcafe.com/2012/02/the-eta-biter-dick-butlers-asw-22db/

Bob

On Fri, 26 Jun 2015 19:34:06 -0700 (PDT), Dave Nadler >
wrote:

>Calling Eta-Biter an ASW-22 is kinda like calling a 450hp hotrod "just a model T".
> While it is true Dick bought a new ASW-22B for some parts to build this glider,
>Dick built everything aft of the wings (tailcone, fin, stab, retractable tailwheel),
>and of course the wings are different (structure, airfoil, pilot-controlled blower
>turbulation, etc).
>
>It's true, the dataplate still says "ASW-22" ;-)
>
>Anyway, its Heinz's reward for helping on Concordia.
>
>From Hobbs,
>See ya, Dave "YO"

ND
August 7th 15, 03:50 PM
On Wednesday, June 24, 2015 at 1:27:49 AM UTC-4, wrote:
> Could not help but notice the Schempp-Hirth dealer is flying a Schleicher ASW-22 at the open nationals.

you just hurt butler's feelings. heinz didn't fly the asw22. he flew the eta biter. big difference.

http://www.slideshare.net/GliderPilotOrg/asw22db-eta-biter-evolution

Google