PDA

View Full Version : Scoring codes at 18m nats?

John Bojack J4
July 3rd 15, 02:58 PM
OK, someone got a 100point penalty, and NO points for the day.
The scoring code was "FD" and "FFD"

Not listed on the score sheet as to what the infraction was.

What was it?

J4

Papa3[_2_]
July 3rd 15, 03:59 PM
FD is Flight Documentation from my recollection of using Winscore. I'm too lazy to read the rules right now (lazy Friday holiday weekend), but if I recall correctly there are several scenarios including exceeding the FDI (documentation interval), failure to hand in a log file once, or a contest penalty for repeated offense. Can't recall the penalty amounts, but I think 100 is more than just the FDI.

P3

John Bojack J4
July 3rd 15, 04:07 PM
OH, OK.....that makes sense.

He prolly just pulled up stakes and departed early due to the weather.

John Godfrey (QT)[_2_]
July 3rd 15, 11:04 PM
On Friday, July 3, 2015 at 11:07:20 AM UTC-4, John Bojack J4 wrote:
> OH, OK.....that makes sense.
>
> He prolly just pulled up stakes and departed early due to the weather.

The USA rules require that during the contest period, if you take a launch you must submit a flight log. Failure to do that by 9am the following day incurs a 100 point penalty. Note that there are no qualifying words before "launch." The answer to "Do I have to turn in a log today" is very simple and always "yes."

11.2.2.1 Each pilot shall submit flight documentation each day a launch is made; it shall accurately document each flight that the pilot made. Failure to submit flight documentation incurs a contest penalty (Rule 12.2.5.5).

10.10.2.1.1 The pilot shall submit flight documentation to the Scorer as soon as practicable. In general, this should be done within one hour of returning to the contest site. But in no case shall it be later than 09:00 of the next day.

John Godfrey (QT)
USA Rules Committee Chair

Tony[_5_]
July 4th 15, 01:21 AM
Often, the FD FFD and -100 for the day are indication of an airspace incursion.

Tom Kelley #711
July 4th 15, 06:07 PM
On Friday, July 3, 2015 at 5:21:26 PM UTC-7, Tony wrote:
> Often, the FD FFD and -100 for the day are indication of an airspace incursion.

Wow. After takeoff and climbing out got sunblock(which I must use) in my eye and had a hard time seeing. So landed(which I really bounced) to be safe before the start. Next days weather didn't look good, and I was well out of contention so decided to pack up and leave. During my rush to get gone simply forgot to send my IGC file in. We were emailing our IGC files for remote scoring so when I got internet service again it was to late as the cutoff time of 9 am was exceeded.

#711.

July 4th 15, 07:46 PM
On Friday, July 3, 2015 at 9:58:10 AM UTC-4, John Bojack J4 wrote:
> OK, someone got a 100point penalty, and NO points for the day.
> The scoring code was "FD" and "FFD"
>
> Not listed on the score sheet as to what the infraction was.
>
> What was it?
>
> J4

In case of an airspace violation the pilot loses all points for that day plus a 100 point penalty. He also has the "option" of not formally posting the incriminatory IGC file. Don't ask me how I know this . . .ROY

John Godfrey (QT)[_2_]
July 5th 15, 01:40 PM
On Saturday, July 4, 2015 at 2:46:55 PM UTC-4, wrote:
> On Friday, July 3, 2015 at 9:58:10 AM UTC-4, John Bojack J4 wrote:
> > OK, someone got a 100point penalty, and NO points for the day.
> > The scoring code was "FD" and "FFD"
> >
> > Not listed on the score sheet as to what the infraction was.
> >
> > What was it?
> >
> > J4
>
> In case of an airspace violation the pilot loses all points for that day plus a 100 point penalty. He also has the "option" of not formally posting the incriminatory IGC file. Don't ask me how I know this . . .ROY

In the very large majority of cases the reason for the penalty is that the pilot left the contest without turning in the log. Airspace violations (and especially "real" airspace violations - since the contest typically designates more airspace as closed than the FAA) are quite rare.

Why is it so important for a pilot to turn in a log if they are bailing on the contest after a bad day? The answer is in the formula that values the day. On a weak day when pilots land out (actually or constructively), a quantity named the "Scored Completion Ratio" comes into play in determining the max points for the day. This in turn can affect who ends up in the lead.

I have personally been the scorer in a contest where the failure of a few pilots to turn in a log on time changed the outcome of the contest.

So your log affects not only your score, but potentially the scores of others.

John Godfrey (QT)
US Rules Committee Chair.

Google