PDA

View Full Version : Front Jack wheel replacement

HGXC[_4_]
July 6th 15, 02:00 PM
Is there anything special about the front wheel of a old cobra trailer? I have damaged my 6"? front wheel that helps support and steer the trailer and I am wondering of I can replace it with a "Replacement 6" Poly Wheel for Bulldog Jacks - 750 lbs to 1,200 lbs"?

Dennis DC

Mark628CA
July 6th 15, 02:53 PM
I have replaced a number of jockey wheels on Cobra trailers with any number of solid rubber wheels from different manufacturers. None of them were actually "plug n' play." They all required special spacers or axles and other hardware. That being said, it isn't actually rocket science. It just takes some time to find or fabricate the necessary parts. I have had some luck with this one:
http://www.harborfreight.com/8-inch-solid-rubber-tire-42427.html The 8 inch might be too big, but there are others available. Note: I don't recommend the solid plastic wheels found on many front trailer jacks. They break too easily.

Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)
July 6th 15, 02:58 PM
As mentioned, getting some existing dimensions (axle length, axle diameter, wheel width & wheel diameter) then searching the Internet goes a long way.
I've used Polyurethane coated aluminum wheels before. They have a decent bearing (long needles), have a grease fitting and work well on many surfaces.
Issue is they're a little pricey, but last longer.

You can also look at:
WWGraingers.com
McMaster-Carr
Harbor Freight

JS
July 6th 15, 05:58 PM
Most auto parts stores in Europe has the AlKo jack and wheel assembly for trailers of various capacities. I once bought a couple of the lightweight 1980s style jack and wheel in Sweden for about 40 bucks each. The newer units are heavier duty and of course more expensive.
Here they are on e-bay.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2063236.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xalko+jock ey+wheel.TRS0&_nkw=alko+jockey+wheel&_sacat=0

In the USA, Wings And Wheels have the Cobra and AlKo parts which used to be at Williams. Perhaps not everything is in the online catalog, but W+W can be contacted by e-mail and phone.
Jim

Google