PDA

View Full Version : Places to fly mid week after Oshkosh?

July 6th 15, 03:25 PM
I am driving the RV with glider in tow to Oshkosh next week, after, I am driving to upstate NY, are there any gliderports/clubs along the route that offer guest tows to visiting pilots? Maybe rv camping close, Say in the eastern Wisconsin, lower Michigan, northern Illinois, northern Ohio western NY northern PA areas? I won't be staying in one place too long a day/tow or two at most. Just want to see and meet other places/pilots maybe some xc :)

Being generally a western pilot I have little knowledge of places to fly on the weekdays in the east! Thanks for your responses!

Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)
July 6th 15, 08:32 PM
On Monday, July 6, 2015 at 10:25:55 AM UTC-4, wrote:
> I am driving the RV with glider in tow to Oshkosh next week, after, I am driving to upstate NY, are there any gliderports/clubs along the route that offer guest tows to visiting pilots? Maybe rv camping close, Say in the eastern Wisconsin, lower Michigan, northern Illinois, northern Ohio western NY northern PA areas? I won't be staying in one place too long a day/tow or two at most. Just want to see and meet other places/pilots maybe some xc :)
>
> Being generally a western pilot I have little knowledge of places to fly on the weekdays in the east! Thanks for your responses!

I would go to the SSA website and look at their map of sites. Sorta easy to find places, then read up on them to see what they offer as well as contact info.
Where in NY are you planning to end up? Western, central, eastern?

Peter Smith[_3_]
July 6th 15, 08:42 PM
On Monday, July 6, 2015 at 10:25:55 AM UTC-4, wrote:
> I am driving the RV with glider in tow to Oshkosh next week, after, I am driving to upstate NY, are there any gliderports/clubs along the route that offer guest tows to visiting pilots? Maybe rv camping close, Say in the eastern Wisconsin, lower Michigan, northern Illinois, northern Ohio western NY northern PA areas? I won't be staying in one place too long a day/tow or two at most. Just want to see and meet other places/pilots maybe some xc :)
>
> Being generally a western pilot I have little knowledge of places to fly on the weekdays in the east! Thanks for your responses!

Harris Hill & the National Soaring Museum are open 7 days a week until Labor Day.

July 6th 15, 10:47 PM
On Monday, July 6, 2015 at 3:42:44 PM UTC-4, Peter Smith wrote:
> On Monday, July 6, 2015 at 10:25:55 AM UTC-4, wrote:
> > I am driving the RV with glider in tow to Oshkosh next week, after, I am driving to upstate NY, are there any gliderports/clubs along the route that offer guest tows to visiting pilots? Maybe rv camping close, Say in the eastern Wisconsin, lower Michigan, northern Illinois, northern Ohio western NY northern PA areas? I won't be staying in one place too long a day/tow or two at most. Just want to see and meet other places/pilots maybe some xc :)
> >
> > Being generally a western pilot I have little knowledge of places to fly on the weekdays in the east! Thanks for your responses!
>
> Harris Hill & the National Soaring Museum are open 7 days a week until Labor Day.

My impression was that he WAS headed to HH where the Std/15M Nationals
happen at the end of the month. Maybe I'm reading too much into the question.

Anyway, you'll mostly find flatland flying along the way. There's some big
clubs at Chicago and Caesar Creek, e.g. Further over you get into hilly
flying, including Ridge Soaring and Harris Hill, of course. Even further
over are Blairstown and Middletown, NY, but they're a little past where
he seems to be going. Still, they're only a few hours more driving from Elmira.

Matt

Bruce Hoult
July 6th 15, 10:48 PM
On Monday, July 6, 2015 at 5:25:55 PM UTC+3, wrote:
> I am driving the RV with glider in tow to Oshkosh next week, after, I am driving to upstate NY, are there any gliderports/clubs along the route that offer guest tows to visiting pilots? Maybe rv camping close, Say in the eastern Wisconsin, lower Michigan, northern Illinois, northern Ohio western NY northern PA areas? I won't be staying in one place too long a day/tow or two at most. Just want to see and meet other places/pilots maybe some xc :)

I had a nice flight in a Duo in 2001 at the Chicago Gliding Club southwest from Joliet. Their site says they fly weekdays if "one of their many tow pilots is available".

I'm not sure if there is camping on site, but a number of their members actually have their houses nestled among the trees near the boundary of the site!

July 7th 15, 03:12 PM
Thanks for the responses guys, I'm headed for Rome NY and maybe on to surgarbush Vt. And have about 10 days to get there. I have been to HH a few times but not flown there, that will be my last stop before Rome. I just enjoy seeing and flying at different places. I have,for the most part covered most of the Western premiere sites and would like to see some of the NE ones while I have the chance.

It is sometimes so amazing to see the different operations and what goes on behind the scenes. Especially at some of the less known and well kept secret ones:)

July 7th 15, 06:35 PM
If you are going between Rome, NY and Sugarbush, VT, you will be driving thru Saratoga Springs, NY . Try Adirondack Soaring... www.adirondacksoaring.com e-mail me at

Tim Hanke
Discus 2a "H1"
Duo Discus "H"

On Tuesday, July 7, 2015 at 10:12:16 AM UTC-4, wrote:
> Thanks for the responses guys, I'm headed for Rome NY and maybe on to surgarbush Vt. And have about 10 days to get there. I have been to HH a few times but not flown there, that will be my last stop before Rome. I just enjoy seeing and flying at different places. I have,for the most part covered most of the Western premiere sites and would like to see some of the NE ones while I have the chance.
>
> It is sometimes so amazing to see the different operations and what goes on behind the scenes. Especially at some of the less known and well kept secret ones:)

July 8th 15, 06:45 PM
Hi Tim, that's a good idea perhaps around the 5th of Aug or so I'll get up that way. Are you guys available for tows on weekdays? Who should we call? Probably be two of us wanting to fly. I can be reached at six oh too-527-for for oh 9. Not sure if that helps (phonectic) but see everyone do it :)

Google