PDA

View Full Version : Blue Ridge Soaring Society: R4S 2015

JP Stewart
July 8th 15, 08:46 PM
Below is a letter from Patty Smith who has managed R4S for a number of years. New Castle is a beautiful place to fly and we'd love to have some new pilots experience that over the coming years.

JP

"Dear Soaring Pilots:

If you have never flown at New Castle, you have certainly heard about us - a 1000k contest flight, a club glider to 19,600 in wave, the unmatched hospitality of the Blue Ridge Soaring Society.

If you have flown with us, you have experienced the incomparable beauty of the ridges and valleys of the Blue Ridge Mountains of Southwest Virginia.

When the soaring is good, it is great. When not so, we have hiking, fishing, shooting, shopping, antiquing, the D Day Memorial, all within easy reach.

The Blue Ridge Soaring Society invites you to fly with us Sept. 20-26, 2015 for the 30th annual
Region 4 South contest.

Contact Patty Smith at patty2p(AT)aol.com for questions and register on line at www.ssa.org.

We look forward to seeing you, in September."

JP Stewart
July 8th 15, 09:00 PM
Contest page here: http://www.ssa.org/Contests?cid=2329
Home club page: http://brss.net/r4s_contest

Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)
July 8th 15, 09:15 PM
On Wednesday, July 8, 2015 at 4:00:28 PM UTC-4, Jp Stewart wrote:
> Contest page here: http://www.ssa.org/Contests?cid=2329
> Home club page: http://brss.net/r4s_contest

I have flown there a number of times..... great site, great people, great soaring (thermal & ridge), things for the "others to do" on flying days or rain days.
Ask for a power flight of surrounding areas, it's great for a glider pilot (to see landmarks, approaching the airport) as well as, "Why do they call it the Blue Ridge Mountains?".

If you don't like camping, ask about the "hunting lodge", it may make it better for your crew.

Charlie, usually "UH", sometimes "OH", either way, the site is pretty interesting "in a great way".

Google