PDA

View Full Version : Gel coat removal - is this okay?!?

Kevin Christner
July 9th 15, 11:54 AM
Never seen gel coat removed via pneumatic razor blade. Looking at the surface it would appear this has taken off the veil cloth with the gel coat. Any experts care to comment as to the validity of this method / post operating room safety / airworthiness?

2C

Kevin Christner
July 9th 15, 11:59 AM
Sorry no link

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dEzrBVdB2P8

ND
July 9th 15, 02:05 PM
On Thursday, July 9, 2015 at 6:54:38 AM UTC-4, Kevin Christner wrote:
> Never seen gel coat removed via pneumatic razor blade. Looking at the surface it would appear this has taken off the veil cloth with the gel coat. Any experts care to comment as to the validity of this method / post operating room safety / airworthiness?
>
> 2C

not the preferred method. if i had done that, i'd think about squeegeeing some epoxy resin into all those pinholes. either way if it was going to disintigrate in flight, it would've done it by now. i would go the traditional sandpaper route though, more fine control. are you going to refinish something?

July 9th 15, 02:23 PM
> Never seen gel coat removed via pneumatic razor blade. Looking at the surface it would appear this has taken off the veil cloth with the gel coat. Any experts care to comment as to the validity of this method / post operating room safety / airworthiness?
>
> 2C

The complication comes in when you get to the areas that don't peel. Removing the gel from those areas without damaging the area you just peeled is tricky.
The easiest peel takes the top layer of glass off which is easy to do if you get it wrong. It comes off in sheets when you do this. If it comes off as chips, it;s just gel.
UH

Bob Kuykendall
July 9th 15, 05:26 PM
Aw, man, I miss Jim Wynhoff. He was innovative and energetic and always upbeat.

I chatted with him for a while about the technique shown. He knew what the risks were, he had mitigation plans, and the result stands for itself.

Thanks, Bob K.

JS
July 9th 15, 05:39 PM
Removed very old gelcoat that easily before, but no power tools needed. Just a paint scraper and next thing you know it's 4AM and you're still laughing at the gelcoat easily falling off.
It's amazing that particular glider could still fly with the unlogged amateur combat repair found under the gelcoat on one wing.

Unfortunately Uncle Fuzzy isn't around to comment on his technique used in the video. I did get to fly that glider prior to refinish and with him after the refinish. Before refinish you could easily cut yourself on the cracks.. Pieces of gelcoat would come off if poked. Nice job.
Jim

Tim Taylor
July 9th 15, 09:32 PM
Yes, I miss Jim and his inventive ways. I have always thought we should be able to build a gelplane for gliders. Very fine adjustments to allow leaving a thin layer of gel coat but remove the bulk of the material before using the sanders.

Tony[_5_]
July 10th 15, 01:39 AM
and deprive Andy of his daily allowance of Gel Coat Dust???

Papa3[_2_]
July 10th 15, 03:39 AM
Tim, I looked at a gelplane in action at a boat repair facility "down the shore" a couple of years ago. On the face of it, it's an attractive option. However, I think the challenge is that in my experience, the gelcoat thickness on a glider wing varies considerably. I'm sure you've noticed places where you can almost see the glass or carbon cloth through the gelcoat and others where it's completely opaque. I don't know how you'd avoid lopping off some of the outer layer of skins. I have heard that one or two shops in Europe have some experience with them, so maybe there's something to it?

P3

Bill T
July 10th 15, 05:58 AM
JW was a master at anything he touched. Fiberglass, welding, plastics, motors, it did not matter.
That gelcoat was flaking off the wing, it just needed a little encouragement. The pin holes were filled before the poly paint and sanding.
The finish is factory perfect, actually better than factory. There are YouTube videos of the glider after the work was completed.

It is a joy to fly.
You will also find videos of Jim flying his beloved Speed Astir, "UF", hence the Uncle Fuzzy monicker.
Jim is surely missed.

BillT

Tim Taylor
July 10th 15, 06:51 AM
Erik,

I could see a plane that integrates an ultra sound unit to ensure saftey and avoid cutting into the fiber layer.

As expensive and miserable as grinding the gel coat off an advanced system would be valuable to the soaring community. After watching the gelplane work on boats we should be able to makes something that is better for gliders.

ND
July 10th 15, 01:14 PM
On Thursday, July 9, 2015 at 4:32:26 PM UTC-4, Tim Taylor wrote:
> Yes, I miss Jim and his inventive ways. I have always thought we should be able to build a gelplane for gliders. Very fine adjustments to allow leaving a thin layer of gel coat but remove the bulk of the material before using the sanders.

it would be easier that way! the problem with a "plane" is that the gelcoat/paint thickness is not uniform for several reasons. if you try and take a set thickness off, in some places you'll go through and get into the structure.

ND
July 10th 15, 01:14 PM
On Thursday, July 9, 2015 at 10:39:25 PM UTC-4, Papa3 wrote:
> Tim, I looked at a gelplane in action at a boat repair facility "down the shore" a couple of years ago. On the face of it, it's an attractive option. However, I think the challenge is that in my experience, the gelcoat thickness on a glider wing varies considerably. I'm sure you've noticed places where you can almost see the glass or carbon cloth through the gelcoat and others where it's completely opaque. I don't know how you'd avoid lopping off some of the outer layer of skins. I have heard that one or two shops in Europe have some experience with them, so maybe there's something to it?
>
> P3

right you are!

Charles Waldo
July 10th 15, 03:44 PM
>
> 2C

I actually used the process with some success on my horizontal Stab on my Peg. I got 80% off using the pneumatic razor blade method. My Gel coat was pretty bad and was flaking off easily. The picture below in the link is after a couple of hours with the tool. Note all the chips that came off. I had to sand the edges as they where bonded to the fiberglass much better and would not chip off. As others have said, lots of pin holes to fill in afterwards. No damage to the Fiberglass under the gel-coat using the tool CAREFULLY. Looks great after Hank did his magic with a spray gun... :)

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9lYBsd_DUU3VXdqYnlzTFNxRFk

Chuck
(Hope the Link works)

Google