PDA

View Full Version : PowerFLARM choking on too many targets?

Matt Herron Jr.
July 21st 15, 03:52 AM
Today I flew the first day of the Truckee FAI contest. We had about 14 planes in the launch area at once. All pilots had Flarm (and transponders) which was great.

My setup is a PowerFlarm Brick (V6.02) with a FlarmVIew display (latest firmware, and powered by the brick). V7 and Oudie are also connected to the brick, but powered separately.

When there were more than about 5 targets being tracked by the PowerFLARM, the FlarmView display started to reboot repeatedly and rapidly every few seconds as if it were being power cycled. It behaved normally during the task when there were just a few targets at most to display. On landing there were again many targets in close proximity and the FlarmVIew display started to reboot again.

Has anyone experienced this? I don't know how to tell if it is the Powerflarm's fault, recycling the power to the FlarmVIew display or the FlarmView Display itself getting overwhelmed by so many targets.

Thoughts?

Also, the PowerFlarm brick experienced MANY GPS failures during the last two flights. The Oudie kept switching to secondary GPS (internal). TO be fair, the Colibri II also showed some GPS dropouts on the same flight, but not nearly as many.

Additional thoughts?

Thanks,

Matt Herron

JS
July 21st 15, 05:04 AM
That's strange, Matt. The problem may have been that the FLARMview cannot display UFOs.
Were you within 200NM of Area 51? Truckee should be about 30NM out of range.
They were supposed to be conducting GPS jamming at Bald Mountain, some sort of fun for military geeks and space aliens alike.
Jim

http://www.navcen.uscg.gov/pdf/gps/gpsnotices/GPS_Interference.pdf

July 21st 15, 05:40 AM
Several pilots at the recent Nephi event experienced the same issue which appears to be related to the latest FlarmView firmware V2.20; we sent Uros various descriptions and videos of the issue so I hope he'll fix it soon. As you say, it seems to be driven by too many targets overloading something in the latest firmware.

One pilot was able to successfully downgrade him FlarmView to the previous firmware and it eliminated the issue. I personally just turned off the sound alarms as my LX9000 also displays flarm targets. Zooming out to at least 2.4 mile radius appeared to alleviate the problem although adjusting the display zoom before the unit recycled was a challenge; it's not actually going through a complete reboot, just displaying the splash screen and then returning to the display at minimal zoom radius.

Dave Nadler
July 21st 15, 12:48 PM
On Monday, July 20, 2015 at 10:52:41 PM UTC-4, Matt Herron Jr. wrote:
> When there were more than about 5 targets being tracked by the PowerFLARM,
> the FlarmView display started to reboot repeatedly and rapidly every few
> seconds as if it were being power cycled. It behaved normally during the
> task when there were just a few targets at most to display.
> On landing there were again many targets in close proximity
> and the FlarmVIew display started to reboot again.

Um, so why didn't you title your post:
"FlarmView choking on too many targets?"

Have you discussed this with LX and/or your LX dealer?
Certainly not the first time this has been reported!

July 21st 15, 01:31 PM
On Tuesday, July 21, 2015 at 7:48:17 PM UTC+8, Dave Nadler wrote:
> On Monday, July 20, 2015 at 10:52:41 PM UTC-4, Matt Herron Jr. wrote:
> > When there were more than about 5 targets being tracked by the PowerFLARM,
> > the FlarmView display started to reboot repeatedly and rapidly every few
> > seconds as if it were being power cycled. It behaved normally during the
> > task when there were just a few targets at most to display.
> > On landing there were again many targets in close proximity
> > and the FlarmVIew display started to reboot again.
>
> Um, so why didn't you title your post:
> "FlarmView choking on too many targets?"
>
> Have you discussed this with LX and/or your LX dealer?
> Certainly not the first time this has been reported!

Dave
When it initially happens there is no way to tell if it is being caused by the PowerFlarm or an issue with the Flarmview. All you see is the Flarmview cycling like it is losing power which comes from the PowerFlarm.
I was at Nephi and yes we did send info about issue to LX and spoke with dealers.
I reverted back to the previous Firmware on my Year old Flarmview and it worked fine. We tried that on a newer Flarmview and it would not work.
So as Matt indicated initially it is hard to tell if it is a Flarmview issue or a PowerFlarm one.
And up to this point I have not seen this reported anywhere and discussed in detail till now.
Hopefully there will be a fix soon

Randy

Dan Daly[_2_]
July 21st 15, 02:02 PM
> > Um, so why didn't you title your post:
> > "FlarmView choking on too many targets?"

I fly with 10-14 PowerFLARM-equipped gliders. Our club standardized on Butterfly displays early on, one or two private owners have FLARMview. We haven't seen this behaviour.

When I had a similar problem with my Butterfly about a year ago, it manifested only with specific unit settings (imperial units - kts, nm, ft), oriented vertically. You might try changing from whatever units you use to the other (metric), and change orientation, to help troubleshoot the problem. The more the data, the easier the fix. I also took a cellphone video of the problem, posted it to youtube, and sent the link in. It took Butterfly folks about a day to fix and produce a beta version for me.

The Butterfly is not as bright as flarmview, but the support is very good, and they're (the equipment, the factory support folks, and the Canadian dealer) easy to work with.

I'm curious how many of the gliders had transponders as well as PowerFLARMs - it seems to me that might double the I/O the processor has to deal with. Only one local glider has a transponder here...

Matt Herron Jr.
July 21st 15, 02:54 PM
On Monday, July 20, 2015 at 9:40:30 PM UTC-7, wrote:
> Several pilots at the recent Nephi event experienced the same issue which appears to be related to the latest FlarmView firmware V2.20; we sent Uros various descriptions and videos of the issue so I hope he'll fix it soon. As you say, it seems to be driven by too many targets overloading something in the latest firmware.
>
> One pilot was able to successfully downgrade him FlarmView to the previous firmware and it eliminated the issue. I personally just turned off the sound alarms as my LX9000 also displays flarm targets. Zooming out to at least 2.4 mile radius appeared to alleviate the problem although adjusting the display zoom before the unit recycled was a challenge; it's not actually going through a complete reboot, just displaying the splash screen and then returning to the display at minimal zoom radius.

Thanks. Very helpful to know whats going on. I will attempt to downgrade. To answer another poster, all gliders had transponders on and squawking 1202.

Matt

Richard[_9_]
July 21st 15, 03:27 PM
On Monday, July 20, 2015 at 7:52:41 PM UTC-7, Matt Herron Jr. wrote:
> Today I flew the first day of the Truckee FAI contest. We had about 14 planes in the launch area at once. All pilots had Flarm (and transponders) which was great.
>
> My setup is a PowerFlarm Brick (V6.02) with a FlarmVIew display (latest firmware, and powered by the brick). V7 and Oudie are also connected to the brick, but powered separately.
>
> When there were more than about 5 targets being tracked by the PowerFLARM, the FlarmView display started to reboot repeatedly and rapidly every few seconds as if it were being power cycled. It behaved normally during the task when there were just a few targets at most to display. On landing there were again many targets in close proximity and the FlarmVIew display started to reboot again.
>
> Has anyone experienced this? I don't know how to tell if it is the Powerflarm's fault, recycling the power to the FlarmVIew display or the FlarmView Display itself getting overwhelmed by so many targets.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> Also, the PowerFlarm brick experienced MANY GPS failures during the last two flights. The Oudie kept switching to secondary GPS (internal). TO be fair, the Colibri II also showed some GPS dropouts on the same flight, but not nearly as many.
>
> Additional thoughts?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Matt Herron

I flew with a FlarmView 57 at Nephi 50 + gliders and did not have an issue.

PowerFlarm 6.02 Flarmview 57 Fw2.20

Richard
www.craggyaero.com

Matt Herron Jr.
July 21st 15, 04:21 PM
On Monday, July 20, 2015 at 9:40:30 PM UTC-7, wrote:
> Several pilots at the recent Nephi event experienced the same issue which appears to be related to the latest FlarmView firmware V2.20; we sent Uros various descriptions and videos of the issue so I hope he'll fix it soon. As you say, it seems to be driven by too many targets overloading something in the latest firmware.
>
> One pilot was able to successfully downgrade him FlarmView to the previous firmware and it eliminated the issue. I personally just turned off the sound alarms as my LX9000 also displays flarm targets. Zooming out to at least 2.4 mile radius appeared to alleviate the problem although adjusting the display zoom before the unit recycled was a challenge; it's not actually going through a complete reboot, just displaying the splash screen and then returning to the display at minimal zoom radius.

To be clear, I am running version 2.02 which appears to be the revision before 2.2. Therefor downgrading probably did not fix the issue. 2.02 has the same "rebooting" problem.

Matt

noel.wade
July 21st 15, 04:35 PM
I haven't done detailed testing, but FWIW I have seen a similar issue with my FlarmView57 on the latest firmware. I don't believe it's the PF rebooting because when the display comes back it hasn't lost GPS lock or anything.

--Noel

July 21st 15, 05:16 PM
On Tuesday, July 21, 2015 at 11:35:07 PM UTC+8, noel.wade wrote:
> I haven't done detailed testing, but FWIW I have seen a similar issue with my FlarmView57 on the latest firmware. I don't believe it's the PF rebooting because when the display comes back it hasn't lost GPS lock or anything..
>
> --Noel

Yes I agree its not the Flarm rebooting.
We figured that out quickly as we had Flarm connecting to other displays and they did not have issue.
In my case I have Flarmview connected directly to the RJ45 on Flarm and then the Flarm DB9 to S7 which outputs to Soartronic Uart to Dell Streak running XC Soar.
You could see in XC Soar that the Flarm was Solid, (not rebooting).
We tried reloading the latest firmware with same result so In my case I tried the old one from January and it worked fine the rest of the Camp. We found that we could not get the Old Firmware to work on a brand New Flarmview for some reason.
What was unnerving at first was we were Gridded and 3 gliders in a row had their Flarmviews going crazy, Beeping and rebooting. At first we calmed them down by turning off the Beep on Target and then later it became apparent that in Flight they were working fine.
I sent a Video with issue to LX as did a few others.
As some have indicated theirs worked fine so it is a Random issue.
Uros had me send him all the Files on my Flarmview SD card.
Mine is working fine with older Firmware so I am ok.
Randy

July 21st 15, 05:33 PM
Like Randy, my FlarmView is connected to the flarm RJ45 output, and in my case the DB9 output goes directly to my LX9000 which showed flarm output correctly. I'm running the 2.20 firmware which I updated just before Nephi, and didn't have any issues with the previous 2.02 however I wasn't flying with so many potential targets until Nephi.

Richard, does your FV data come from the DB9 port, not the RJ45?

Nigel

Richard[_9_]
July 21st 15, 07:27 PM
On Monday, July 20, 2015 at 7:52:41 PM UTC-7, Matt Herron Jr. wrote:
> Today I flew the first day of the Truckee FAI contest. We had about 14 planes in the launch area at once. All pilots had Flarm (and transponders) which was great.
>
> My setup is a PowerFlarm Brick (V6.02) with a FlarmVIew display (latest firmware, and powered by the brick). V7 and Oudie are also connected to the brick, but powered separately.
>
> When there were more than about 5 targets being tracked by the PowerFLARM, the FlarmView display started to reboot repeatedly and rapidly every few seconds as if it were being power cycled. It behaved normally during the task when there were just a few targets at most to display. On landing there were again many targets in close proximity and the FlarmVIew display started to reboot again.
>
> Has anyone experienced this? I don't know how to tell if it is the Powerflarm's fault, recycling the power to the FlarmVIew display or the FlarmView Display itself getting overwhelmed by so many targets.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> Also, the PowerFlarm brick experienced MANY GPS failures during the last two flights. The Oudie kept switching to secondary GPS (internal). TO be fair, the Colibri II also showed some GPS dropouts on the same flight, but not nearly as many.
>
> Additional thoughts?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Matt Herron

My Flarmview 57 comes from the DB9 port. Also go the the files menu of the Flarmview and convert the .fln file to .flx.

Richard www.craggyaero.com

Richard[_9_]
July 21st 15, 07:28 PM
On Tuesday, July 21, 2015 at 11:27:20 AM UTC-7, Richard wrote:
> On Monday, July 20, 2015 at 7:52:41 PM UTC-7, Matt Herron Jr. wrote:
> > Today I flew the first day of the Truckee FAI contest. We had about 14 planes in the launch area at once. All pilots had Flarm (and transponders) which was great.
> >
> > My setup is a PowerFlarm Brick (V6.02) with a FlarmVIew display (latest firmware, and powered by the brick). V7 and Oudie are also connected to the brick, but powered separately.
> >
> > When there were more than about 5 targets being tracked by the PowerFLARM, the FlarmView display started to reboot repeatedly and rapidly every few seconds as if it were being power cycled. It behaved normally during the task when there were just a few targets at most to display. On landing there were again many targets in close proximity and the FlarmVIew display started to reboot again.
> >
> > Has anyone experienced this? I don't know how to tell if it is the Powerflarm's fault, recycling the power to the FlarmVIew display or the FlarmView Display itself getting overwhelmed by so many targets.
> >
> > Thoughts?
> >
> > Also, the PowerFlarm brick experienced MANY GPS failures during the last two flights. The Oudie kept switching to secondary GPS (internal). TO be fair, the Colibri II also showed some GPS dropouts on the same flight, but not nearly as many.
> >
> > Additional thoughts?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Matt Herron
>
> My Flarmview 57 comes from the DB9 port. Also go the the files menu of the Flarmview and convert the .fln file to .flx.
>
> Richard www.craggyaero.com

Also get the latest .fln file from flarmnet.org their may have been a problem with that file

Richard
www.craggyaero.com

JJ Sinclair[_2_]
July 21st 15, 11:53 PM
Allow me to add something that happened to me last week at Air Sailing Sports Contest. The first 2 days, I was getting meaningless FLARM alerts all the time + both GPSs broke lock several times. A friend asked, "how far apart are your GPS antennas? You know they are supposed to be 12" apart, don't you?
Bingo! All three were within 6" of each other. Both GPS antennas were within 4" of each other and both right behind the FLARM which has its own GPS antenna, you know?
I moved all 3 antennas about a foot from each other and the false FLARM alerts were greatly reduced and the computer GPS never broke lock again...............the Cambridge GPS did continue to drop out when near Air Sailing, but was OK when out on course. Several other contestants reported the same issue when near Air Sailing.
JJ

Bob Gibbons[_2_]
July 22nd 15, 06:24 AM
On Mon, 20 Jul 2015 19:52:36 -0700 (PDT), "Matt Herron Jr."
> wrote:

.... text deleted
>When there were more than about 5 targets being tracked by the
>PowerFLARM, the FlarmView display started to reboot repeatedly
>and rapidly every few seconds as if it were being power cycled.
>It behaved normally during the task when there were just a few
>targets at most to display. On landing there were again many
>targets in close proximity and the FlarmVIew display started to
>reboot again.
>
>Has anyone experienced this? I don't know how to tell if it is the
>Powerflarm's fault, recycling the power to the FlarmVIew display
>or the FlarmView Display itself getting overwhelmed by so many targets.
>
>Thoughts?

Will the FlarmView support a 57.6kB data rate? I know the Butterfly
display will, that is the rate I run mine at. Higher rate should
support more targets.

Insert the following into flarmcfg.txt

# Set baud rate on RJ45 to 57.6kB
$PFLAC,S,BAUD1,5

# Set baud rate on DB9 to 57.6kB
$PFLAC,S,BAUD2,5

Bob

July 22nd 15, 09:57 PM
Based on the discussion, can I assume this problem does not occur on the Portable PowerFLARM with its built-in display? Headed to Elmira tomorrow where there will be nearly 50 gliders.

Chip Bearden
ASW 24 "JB"
U.S.A.

Matt Herron Jr.
July 23rd 15, 06:12 AM
I upgraded to FlarmView 2.2 yesterday and flew with many gliders ( all had flarm and all had Transponders). Agin the flarmview was "rebooting" or showing the splash screen in rapid succession when many targets were present. So both Flarmview 2.2 and 2.02 have this issue.

Matt H.

Sean Fidler
July 23rd 15, 01:42 PM
Matt,

Yes, I have been getting this behavior often (understatement). It happens all the time actually. I'm glad that you brought this up. I have seen as many as 5 "reboots" in 30 seconds on the flarmView. It's almost constant. I basically ignored it but it was frustrating as it often reboots when I am trying to visualize where gliders are around me when it goes into a reboot spasm.

I have definitely been experiencing this problem consistently this season but also seem to remember is happening last season before the mandatory firmware upgrade. I could be mistaken.

I think this is a real problem with the flarm/flarmView system that should be addressed. Someone should take a video of the flarmView (or other) and post it here to help the developers understand the problem better. I will do the same hopefully within the next week or so.

I never had this problem on my flarm portable FWIW.

I am brick-SN10-flarmView-Oudie with the associated Goddard cables.

Sorry to be confirming the bad news here.

Sean
7T

Richard[_9_]
July 23rd 15, 03:42 PM
On Monday, July 20, 2015 at 7:52:41 PM UTC-7, Matt Herron Jr. wrote:
> Today I flew the first day of the Truckee FAI contest. We had about 14 planes in the launch area at once. All pilots had Flarm (and transponders) which was great.
>
> My setup is a PowerFlarm Brick (V6.02) with a FlarmVIew display (latest firmware, and powered by the brick). V7 and Oudie are also connected to the brick, but powered separately.
>
> When there were more than about 5 targets being tracked by the PowerFLARM, the FlarmView display started to reboot repeatedly and rapidly every few seconds as if it were being power cycled. It behaved normally during the task when there were just a few targets at most to display. On landing there were again many targets in close proximity and the FlarmVIew display started to reboot again.
>
> Has anyone experienced this? I don't know how to tell if it is the Powerflarm's fault, recycling the power to the FlarmVIew display or the FlarmView Display itself getting overwhelmed by so many targets.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> Also, the PowerFlarm brick experienced MANY GPS failures during the last two flights. The Oudie kept switching to secondary GPS (internal). TO be fair, the Colibri II also showed some GPS dropouts on the same flight, but not nearly as many.
>
> Additional thoughts?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Matt Herron

I have a beta update for the FlarmView that may solve the problem. Email me and I will forward the FlarmView beta.

Thanks,

Richard
www.craggyaero.com

Dave Nadler
July 23rd 15, 03:49 PM
On Thursday, July 23, 2015 at 8:42:18 AM UTC-4, Sean Fidler wrote:
> Yes, I have been getting this behavior often (understatement).
> It happens all the time actually...
> I never had this problem on my flarm portable FWIW.
> I am brick-SN10-flarmView-Oudie with the associated Goddard cables.

Sean, can you also confirm you have never had a problem
with either the SN10 or Oudie WRT received PowerFLARM data?
Thanks!

PS: I've never had the problem with the Butterfly display.

Craig Reinholt
July 23rd 15, 04:04 PM
On Thursday, July 23, 2015 at 7:49:39 AM UTC-7, Dave Nadler wrote:
> On Thursday, July 23, 2015 at 8:42:18 AM UTC-4, Sean Fidler wrote:
> > Yes, I have been getting this behavior often (understatement).
> > It happens all the time actually...
> > I never had this problem on my flarm portable FWIW.
> > I am brick-SN10-flarmView-Oudie with the associated Goddard cables.
>
> Sean, can you also confirm you have never had a problem
> with either the SN10 or Oudie WRT received PowerFLARM data?
> Thanks!
>
> PS: I've never had the problem with the Butterfly display.

Dave, I have the PowerFLARM core + SN10b + Oudie 2 + Butterfly 57mm display and have never had a reboot in any of the devices.

July 23rd 15, 07:18 PM
I have had the same problem with FlarmView. Noticeable when many targets are around. e.g. in the start cylinder and then once out on course with fewer targets, it returns to normal behavior. Frustrating as it essentially becomes useless as a display while it is exhibiting this rapid cycling between the splash page and the default start page. My setup is PowerFlarm core- S80 (DB9) and FlarmView (RJ45)- Avier XCSoar (through the S80). No problem with the GPS signal from the core.

Sean Fidler
July 23rd 15, 08:03 PM
On Thursday, July 23, 2015 at 10:49:39 AM UTC-4, Dave Nadler wrote:
> On Thursday, July 23, 2015 at 8:42:18 AM UTC-4, Sean Fidler wrote:
> > Yes, I have been getting this behavior often (understatement).
> > It happens all the time actually...
> > I never had this problem on my flarm portable FWIW.
> > I am brick-SN10-flarmView-Oudie with the associated Goddard cables.
>
> Sean, can you also confirm you have never had a problem
> with either the SN10 or Oudie WRT received PowerFLARM data?
> Thanks!
>
> PS: I've never had the problem with the Butterfly display.

Yes, confirmed. It seems that only the FlarmView is resetting/rebooting. The SN10 and the Oudie are not.

Andy Blackburn[_3_]
July 23rd 15, 10:58 PM
On Thursday, July 23, 2015 at 11:18:42 AM UTC-7, wrote:
> I have had the same problem with FlarmView. Noticeable when many targets are around. e.g. in the start cylinder and then once out on course with fewer targets, it returns to normal behavior. Frustrating as it essentially becomes useless as a display while it is exhibiting this rapid cycling between the splash page and the default start page. My setup is PowerFlarm core- S80 (DB9) and FlarmView (RJ45)- Avier XCSoar (through the S80). No problem with the GPS signal from the core.

Do people with this problem have PCAS alarms on or off? I had a similar problem last year and it seemed to be related to gliders with Flarm and Transponder operating.

BTW, there needs to be a way on Flarmview to tone down the PCAS warnings in thermals. If I'm flying with gliders with operating transponders I have to turn the PCAS off entirely or I spend 100% of my thermalling time turning off the alarms. I've tried different FlarmView settings to no avail so I've been reduced to setting the config on the PowerFLARM to turn PCAS off.

9B

Dan Daly[_2_]
July 23rd 15, 11:16 PM
On Thursday, July 23, 2015 at 5:58:55 PM UTC-4, Andy Blackburn wrote:
> On Thursday, July 23, 2015 at 11:18:42 AM UTC-7, wrote:
> > I have had the same problem with FlarmView. Noticeable when many targets are around. e.g. in the start cylinder and then once out on course with fewer targets, it returns to normal behavior. Frustrating as it essentially becomes useless as a display while it is exhibiting this rapid cycling between the splash page and the default start page. My setup is PowerFlarm core- S80 (DB9) and FlarmView (RJ45)- Avier XCSoar (through the S80). No problem with the GPS signal from the core.
>
> Do people with this problem have PCAS alarms on or off? I had a similar problem last year and it seemed to be related to gliders with Flarm and Transponder operating.
>
> BTW, there needs to be a way on Flarmview to tone down the PCAS warnings in thermals. If I'm flying with gliders with operating transponders I have to turn the PCAS off entirely or I spend 100% of my thermalling time turning off the alarms. I've tried different FlarmView settings to no avail so I've been reduced to setting the config on the PowerFLARM to turn PCAS off.
>
> 9B

This is a symptom of improper mode setting (aircraft type) in the FLARMs of the gliders which "alarmed" you - if they are not set as glider in flarmcfg.txt, the warning parameters are much wider (and greatly affects warnings in thermals). We saw a few of these at the Pan-American contest and it took a few days to get everyone configured correctly (just a few days after PF 6.0 firmware came out). Some portables seemed to reset themselves, but that might have been finger trouble.

Dan
2D

Check the aircraft type is "1" in flarmcfg.txt.

Ramy[_2_]
July 24th 15, 12:19 AM
On Thursday, July 23, 2015 at 2:58:55 PM UTC-7, Andy Blackburn wrote:
> On Thursday, July 23, 2015 at 11:18:42 AM UTC-7, wrote:
> > I have had the same problem with FlarmView. Noticeable when many targets are around. e.g. in the start cylinder and then once out on course with fewer targets, it returns to normal behavior. Frustrating as it essentially becomes useless as a display while it is exhibiting this rapid cycling between the splash page and the default start page. My setup is PowerFlarm core- S80 (DB9) and FlarmView (RJ45)- Avier XCSoar (through the S80). No problem with the GPS signal from the core.
>
> Do people with this problem have PCAS alarms on or off? I had a similar problem last year and it seemed to be related to gliders with Flarm and Transponder operating.
>
> BTW, there needs to be a way on Flarmview to tone down the PCAS warnings in thermals. If I'm flying with gliders with operating transponders I have to turn the PCAS off entirely or I spend 100% of my thermalling time turning off the alarms. I've tried different FlarmView settings to no avail so I've been reduced to setting the config on the PowerFLARM to turn PCAS off.
>
> 9B

No such problems with the Butterfly display. Never needed to turn off PCAS or turn the volume down. only an occasional beep. So far it sounds like the butterfly display is a better option than FlarmView.

Ramy

WaltWX[_2_]
July 24th 15, 04:51 AM
Walt Rogers, WX, can also confirm that I have never seen this problem with the Butterfly display and PF (lastest version of both) including all flights at the Club Class national this summer.

> No such problems with the Butterfly display. Never needed to turn off PCAS or turn the volume down. only an occasional beep. So far it sounds like the butterfly display is a better option than FlarmView.
>
> Ramy

Andy Blackburn[_3_]
July 24th 15, 01:30 PM
On Thursday, July 23, 2015 at 3:16:45 PM UTC-7, Dan Daly wrote:
> On Thursday, July 23, 2015 at 5:58:55 PM UTC-4, Andy Blackburn wrote:
> > On Thursday, July 23, 2015 at 11:18:42 AM UTC-7, wrote:
> > > I have had the same problem with FlarmView. Noticeable when many targets are around. e.g. in the start cylinder and then once out on course with fewer targets, it returns to normal behavior. Frustrating as it essentially becomes useless as a display while it is exhibiting this rapid cycling between the splash page and the default start page. My setup is PowerFlarm core- S80 (DB9) and FlarmView (RJ45)- Avier XCSoar (through the S80). No problem with the GPS signal from the core.
> >
> > Do people with this problem have PCAS alarms on or off? I had a similar problem last year and it seemed to be related to gliders with Flarm and Transponder operating.
> >
> > BTW, there needs to be a way on Flarmview to tone down the PCAS warnings in thermals. If I'm flying with gliders with operating transponders I have to turn the PCAS off entirely or I spend 100% of my thermalling time turning off the alarms. I've tried different FlarmView settings to no avail so I've been reduced to setting the config on the PowerFLARM to turn PCAS off..
> >
> > 9B
>
> This is a symptom of improper mode setting (aircraft type) in the FLARMs of the gliders which "alarmed" you - if they are not set as glider in flarmcfg.txt, the warning parameters are much wider (and greatly affects warnings in thermals). We saw a few of these at the Pan-American contest and it took a few days to get everyone configured correctly (just a few days after PF 6.0 firmware came out). Some portables seemed to reset themselves, but that might have been finger trouble.
>
> Dan
> 2D
>
> Check the aircraft type is "1" in flarmcfg.txt.

Thanks. I'm pretty sure that's not the case here since I helped set up the other Flarm config myself. It's a bit of a laborious trial and error process of course, so it's hard to be sure.

I remember thinking it ought to be straightforward to suppress Mode-S PCAS warnings for gliders also carrying Flarm, based on ICAO address, but I vaguely remember there is a reason why this can't work...something about Mode-S transponders also replying to other types of interrogations. (Yet another reason why the FAA would probably have done us all a favor if they'd mandated Mode S as part of a transition to ADS-B 1090 ES Out (like Europe) rather than the whole UAT debacle).

9B

Matt Herron Jr.
July 25th 15, 06:01 AM
I tried the Beta 2.21 flarmview software today and it solved the problem! No more splash screen spasms, even with 5-10 active flarm targets, scale at .3miles, and lots of transponders. No other obvious side effects to this beta...

Thanks Richard

Google