PDA

View Full Version : Re: Stark on Molitor

Cameron Laird
January 8th 04, 03:26 PM
In article >,
> wrote:

Cameron Laird
January 8th 04, 04:41 PM
In article >,
> wrote:
>In rec.sport.baseball Cameron Laird > wrote:
>
>> Primitive flight simulators were in experimental use during
>> World War I. The famous Link Trainer was developed in 1927-
>> 30. By World War II it was standard in the US and UK for
>> part of basic pilot training to be in a Link.
>
>And what were these devices called? They weren't called
>simulators, were they? Did they have simulated Nazis shooting
>simulated bullets at them?
>
>And these "simulators" weren't used by pilots once they had their
>wings, were they?

Sylvain Moisan
January 9th 04, 03:02 PM
On Thu, 08 Jan 2004 16:41:27 -0000, (Cameron Laird)
wrote:

Chris McBrien
January 30th 04, 12:56 PM
(Sylvain Moisan) wrote in message >...
> On Thu, 08 Jan 2004 16:41:27 -0000, (Cameron Laird)
> wrote:
> .
> >Devices included the Link Trainer, Celestial Navigation
> >Trainer, Silloth Trainer, instructional fuselage, ...
> >"Flight Simulator" was a label used on both sides of the
> >Atlantic for the category; I think it appears in official
> >military descriptions. I don't know of any device whose
> >formal name was "flight simulator", though.
> >
> Ed Link received a patent for a "pilot trainer" in 1929. In 1934 the
> US Army Air Corps purchased 6 trainers.
>
> Sylvain

The problem here seems to be that these "Armchair Joysticks"
are laughingly called Flight Simulators. I can only go back as far as
August 1966 and the first full digital Flight Sim built by Redifon. It
was the RAF's VC-10 simulator. Experienced pilots would step out of
that cabin abosolutely soaked in sweat after being subjected to a four
hour flight from Brize Norton to Cyprus with an engine fire before V1,
engine fire after V1, cloud base at 60 feet and a total electrical
failure on approach, drop the ELRAT and come in on the standby horizon
and compass. We had it tough!

Today or even years ago you have to have so many flight sim
hours in order to keep your ticket.
Chris.

Google