PDA

View Full Version : Frame Rate

Dave Schwartz
January 18th 04, 01:48 PM
Just bought more memory and a new video card to better the performance of FS
2004. I know shift-Z shows me the frame rate. What is a good frame rate?
What does locked at 10.0 mean?

--
Dave Schwartz
Commack, NY

Peter Duniho
January 18th 04, 05:02 PM
"Dave Schwartz" > wrote in message
.net...
> Just bought more memory and a new video card to better the performance of
FS
> 2004. I know shift-Z shows me the frame rate. What is a good frame rate?

Depends on you. Some people find 10 to 20 fps perfectly playable. Others
aren't happy unless it's up around 60 fps or higher. Generally speaking, a
frame rate in the 20-30 fps range is considered the minimum for "realistic"
animation.

With a program like MSFS, there is the additional issue of how long it takes
for your control inputs to be reflected in what you see on the screen.
Again, higher is better of course, but what is "acceptable" is very
subjective.

> What does locked at 10.0 mean?

It means that in the graphics settings for MSFS, it's configured to display
at a maximum of 10 fps, rather than rendering as fast as possible for the
given settings. This is useful for helping keep a smooth frame rate, rather
than it varying as the visual complexity varies, but you can turn it off if
you'd rather always get the maximum frame rate possible.

Pete

Google