PDA

View Full Version : LXNAV V8 (S8/V80/S80) Issues?

September 1st 15, 11:35 AM
Hi all,
I wonder if anybody in this forum using the V8, V80 or S8/S80 has experienced the same problems that I have and can help me with some advice.
Last year I bought a new LX9050 and ordered the V8, but due to production delays, I got to borrow a V5 vario.
I installed the LX9050 with the V5 and set it up to use Electronic compensation and everithing was fine. The Vario worked like a charm.
During the nationals, the V8 was finaly delivered and I was looking forward to flying with the new vario, expecting superb performance.
What I experienced however is a very "unsteady" vario behaviour. I tried setting the filters / damping at different settings from 0.5 to 2.5 seconds (I also played arround with the "Smart filter" option) and although the high damping produces a more steady sound and needle movement, it also seems very slow and still shows some unexplicable "peaks" or "valleys" that seem erroneous.
I've been really fighting to get this right with no luck so far.
I will really appreciate to hear from others experiencing this behaviour and especially if they have been able to "fix" the problem.
If you have a good working V8, V80, S8 or S80, I'll also be interested in your vario filter settings in order for me to try.

Thank you very much in advance.
Best regards
Felipe

Richard[_9_]
September 1st 15, 01:36 PM
On Tuesday, September 1, 2015 at 3:35:15 AM UTC-7, wrote:
> Hi all,
> I wonder if anybody in this forum using the V8, V80 or S8/S80 has experienced the same problems that I have and can help me with some advice.
> Last year I bought a new LX9050 and ordered the V8, but due to production delays, I got to borrow a V5 vario.
> I installed the LX9050 with the V5 and set it up to use Electronic compensation and everithing was fine. The Vario worked like a charm.
> During the nationals, the V8 was finaly delivered and I was looking forward to flying with the new vario, expecting superb performance.
> What I experienced however is a very "unsteady" vario behaviour. I tried setting the filters / damping at different settings from 0.5 to 2.5 seconds (I also played arround with the "Smart filter" option) and although the high damping produces a more steady sound and needle movement, it also seems very slow and still shows some unexplicable "peaks" or "valleys" that seem erroneous.
> I've been really fighting to get this right with no luck so far.
> I will really appreciate to hear from others experiencing this behaviour and especially if they have been able to "fix" the problem.
> If you have a good working V8, V80, S8 or S80, I'll also be interested in your vario filter settings in order for me to try.
>
> Thank you very much in advance.
> Best regards
> Felipe

Felipe,

I don't have those issues.

Call me, I have an S8

Richard
www.craggyaero.com

September 1st 15, 01:38 PM
I have been flying with the S80 as a stand alone vario. It is connected to my Oudie/SeeYou and Flarm brick.

My unit is set-up with 100% electronic compensation. I have a Winter vario connected to the TE probe.

I have been flying with the S80 using the default settings/filters and it has been very good. It responds a bit faster than the Winters and seems to be less "jumpy" in turbulant conditions with horizontal gusts. My previous electronic vario was a Cambridge 302 which was very satisfactory.

September 1st 15, 01:51 PM
Hi Richard,
I'm based in Denmark, so I'm not sure what time difference we are talking about to where you are in order to find an apropriate time.
Anyway I'm trying to see if others have the same issue or if my unit might be defect somehow.

Richard[_9_]
September 1st 15, 03:19 PM
On Tuesday, September 1, 2015 at 5:51:19 AM UTC-7, wrote:
> Hi Richard,
> I'm based in Denmark, so I'm not sure what time difference we are talking about to where you are in order to find an apropriate time.
> Anyway I'm trying to see if others have the same issue or if my unit might be defect somehow.

Have you contacted LXNAV?

Uros is very responsive.

Richard.

September 2nd 15, 07:40 AM
I've contacted Uros some time ago, and he explained that this new vario was more sensitive than the V5 so I should try increasing the filter settings.
I'll probably contact him again, but before I do I was wondering if there was some "Magic setting" that I had missed to try.
Uros is responsive, but quite busy also and I wan't to gather as much intel as possible before contacting him.

br.
Felipe

Steve Parker[_2_]
September 2nd 15, 12:23 PM
My S80 vario is on 2.5 second time constant and it matches the winter vario
very well.
Steve.

At 06:40 02 September 2015, wrote:
>I've contacted Uros some time ago, and he explained that this new vario
was
>more sensitive than the V5 so I should try increasing the filter settings.

>I'll probably contact him again, but before I do I was wondering if there
>was some "Magic setting" that I had missed to try.
>Uros is responsive, but quite busy also and I wan't to gather as much
intel
>as possible before contacting him.
>
>br.
>Felipe

Don Grillo
November 4th 15, 04:51 PM
Hi Felipe,

I am considering ordering the LX9050 and V8 combo as well. Have you been able to resolve this issue and if so, what was it?

Thanks,
Don

On Tuesday, September 1, 2015 at 5:35:15 AM UTC-5, wrote:
> Hi all,
> I wonder if anybody in this forum using the V8, V80 or S8/S80 has experienced the same problems that I have and can help me with some advice.
> Last year I bought a new LX9050 and ordered the V8, but due to production delays, I got to borrow a V5 vario.

November 5th 15, 08:18 AM
I have used a V9 and then a V8 with my 9000 and have found none of the issues reported by the OP. With similar vario settings to those I had optimised for the V9 I prefer the V8 response to the V9.

Andrzej Kobus
November 5th 15, 08:43 PM
On Thursday, November 5, 2015 at 3:18:58 AM UTC-5, wrote:
> I have used a V9 and then a V8 with my 9000 and have found none of the issues reported by the OP. With similar vario settings to those I had optimised for the V9 I prefer the V8 response to the V9.

What about pointer visibility in direct sun? It looks good indoor.

November 6th 15, 09:32 AM
I have had no problems with visibility at all. I just left the brightness on the default auto setting.

Google