PDA

View Full Version : Re: Soaring in Invermere, BC

Dan Marotta
September 7th 15, 04:47 PM
Very nicely done!

Can I simply bring a glider registered as "Experimental, Exhibition and
Racing" in the USA to Invermere?

On 9/5/2015 5:19 PM, wrote:
> Enjoy some sights of the beautiful Rocky Mountains.
>
> https://vimeo.com/138368221

September 7th 15, 05:53 PM
Yes, you can bring any US registerred glider to Canada and fly it. The only caveat is only US licensed pilots may fly it while here (I believe).

On Monday, September 7, 2015 at 9:47:46 AM UTC-6, Dan Marotta wrote:
> Very nicely done!
>
> Can I simply bring a glider registered as "Experimental, Exhibition and
> Racing" in the USA to Invermere?
>
> On 9/5/2015 5:19 PM, wrote:
> > Enjoy some sights of the beautiful Rocky Mountains.
> >
> > https://vimeo.com/138368221

September 7th 15, 07:46 PM
Experimental gliders need a foreign validation. I hear it is pretty quick and easy.

Some old instructions:

Recommended procedure
The following instructions were given by Mike Skoszen at the Transport Canada office in Hamilton, ON.

Call 1-877-250-4888
Pay $100 for "Foreign validation" code 9K09
Get receipt # when paying

Email a copy of cert of registration and cert of airworthiness with the
receipt # to Mike

Mike's contact info;
Tel: 1-905-679-1360
e-mail:

Offlicial procedure as specified by TC
The procedure to fly your "Experimental" glider in Canada is now called a "Validation of Foreign Flight Authority".
Please scan your Certificate of Registration and special Certificate of Airworthiness with the Letter stating the Operating Limitations.
The documents should be in PDF format and the request should be sent to the following e-mail address:

Send the message requesting permission to fly your American registered glider licensed in the "Experimental" category at the Canadian National Gliding Championships to be held at Rockton , Ontario .

Use the dates from June 25th to July 10th including the practice days and weekend before and after the contest.
There is a fee of CAD $ 100 and you should be able to pay this with Visa or MC.

The specifics are available on the Transport Canada website at:
http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviation/regserv/cars/part5-507-1374.htm#507_05

On Monday, September 7, 2015 at 10:53:12 AM UTC-6, wrote:
> Yes, you can bring any US registerred glider to Canada and fly it. The only caveat is only US licensed pilots may fly it while here (I believe).
>

> On Monday, September 7, 2015 at 9:47:46 AM UTC-6, Dan Marotta wrote:
> > Very nicely done!
> >
> > Can I simply bring a glider registered as "Experimental, Exhibition and
> > Racing" in the USA to Invermere?
> >
> > On 9/5/2015 5:19 PM, wrote:
> > > Enjoy some sights of the beautiful Rocky Mountains.
> > >
> > > https://vimeo.com/138368221

Dan Marotta
September 7th 15, 08:04 PM
Thanks for the information but it's a bit too far for me to tow my
trailer - 3,000 mile round trip plus 4 long days of driving.

On 9/7/2015 11:46 AM, wrote:
> Experimental gliders need a foreign validation. I hear it is pretty quick and easy.
>
> Some old instructions:Th
>
> Recommended procedure
> The following instructions were given by Mike Skoszen at the Transport Canada office in Hamilton, ON.
>
> Call 1-877-250-4888
> Pay $100 for "Foreign validation" code 9K09
> Get receipt # when paying
>
> Email a copy of cert of registration and cert of airworthiness with the
> receipt # to Mike
>
> Mike's contact info;
> Tel: 1-905-679-1360
> e-mail:
>
> Offlicial procedure as specified by TC
> The procedure to fly your "Experimental" glider in Canada is now called a "Validation of Foreign Flight Authority".
> Please scan your Certificate of Registration and special Certificate of Airworthiness with the Letter stating the Operating Limitations.
> The documents should be in PDF format and the request should be sent to the following e-mail address:
>
> Send the message requesting permission to fly your American registered glider licensed in the "Experimental" category at the Canadian National Gliding Championships to be held at Rockton , Ontario .
>
> Use the dates from June 25th to July 10th including the practice days and weekend before and after the contest.
> There is a fee of CAD $ 100 and you should be able to pay this with Visa or MC.
>
> The specifics are available on the Transport Canada website at:
> http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviation/regserv/cars/part5-507-1374.htm#507_05
>

> On Monday, September 7, 2015 at 10:53:12 AM UTC-6, wrote:
>> Yes, you can bring any US registerred glider to Canada and fly it. The only caveat is only US licensed pilots may fly it while here (I believe).
>>

>> On Monday, September 7, 2015 at 9:47:46 AM UTC-6, Dan Marotta wrote:
>>> Very nicely done!
>>>
>>> Can I simply bring a glider registered as "Experimental, Exhibition and
>>> Racing" in the USA to Invermere?

2G
September 12th 15, 05:15 AM
On Monday, September 7, 2015 at 11:46:12 AM UTC-7, wrote:
> Experimental gliders need a foreign validation. I hear it is pretty quick and easy.
>
> Some old instructions:
>
> Recommended procedure
> The following instructions were given by Mike Skoszen at the Transport Canada office in Hamilton, ON.
>
> Call 1-877-250-4888
> Pay $100 for "Foreign validation" code 9K09
> Get receipt # when paying
>
> Email a copy of cert of registration and cert of airworthiness with the
> receipt # to Mike
>
> Mike's contact info;
> Tel: 1-905-679-1360
> e-mail:
>
> Offlicial procedure as specified by TC
> The procedure to fly your "Experimental" glider in Canada is now called a "Validation of Foreign Flight Authority".
> Please scan your Certificate of Registration and special Certificate of Airworthiness with the Letter stating the Operating Limitations.
> The documents should be in PDF format and the request should be sent to the following e-mail address:
>
> Send the message requesting permission to fly your American registered glider licensed in the "Experimental" category at the Canadian National Gliding Championships to be held at Rockton , Ontario .
>
> Use the dates from June 25th to July 10th including the practice days and weekend before and after the contest.
> There is a fee of CAD $ 100 and you should be able to pay this with Visa or MC.
>
> The specifics are available on the Transport Canada website at:
> http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviation/regserv/cars/part5-507-1374.htm#507_05
>

> On Monday, September 7, 2015 at 10:53:12 AM UTC-6, wrote:
> > Yes, you can bring any US registerred glider to Canada and fly it. The only caveat is only US licensed pilots may fly it while here (I believe).
> >

> > On Monday, September 7, 2015 at 9:47:46 AM UTC-6, Dan Marotta wrote:
> > > Very nicely done!
> > >
> > > Can I simply bring a glider registered as "Experimental, Exhibition and
> > > Racing" in the USA to Invermere?

Be careful when applying. A friend applied and they asked him what his purpose (mission) was. He replied "fun flying" and they responded that this doesn't fit into the Experimental and Exhibition category (flying in a contest or at an exhibition i.e. airshow). He was denied on the grounds that he didn't meet the airworthiness restrictions. I never applied for this paperwork and wasn't ever questioned (falls into the category of "don't ask for permission but seek forgiveness - if caught [hell, it worked for the Clintons for years!]}.

Jonathan St. Cloud
September 12th 15, 06:06 AM
On Friday, September 11, 2015 at 9:15:25 PM UTC-7, 2G wrote:

> I never applied for this paperwork and wasn't ever questioned (falls into the category of "don't ask >for permission but seek forgiveness - if caught [hell, it worked for the Clintons for years!]}.

Very poor advice, can get your glider seized. Follow the rules and get all the required paperwork.

September 12th 15, 06:22 AM
On Friday, September 11, 2015 at 11:06:45 PM UTC-6, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:
> On Friday, September 11, 2015 at 9:15:25 PM UTC-7, 2G wrote:
>
> > I never applied for this paperwork and wasn't ever questioned (falls into the category of "don't ask >for permission but seek forgiveness - if caught [hell, it worked for the Clintons for years!]}.
>
> Very poor advice, can get your glider seized. Follow the rules and get all the required paperwork.

The OLC is a contest. It is right in the name so no one can deny that.

Bill T
September 12th 15, 04:25 PM
Flying in training for contest or airshow also meets the requirement of the certificate.
BillT

Dan Marotta
September 12th 15, 04:51 PM
My Program Letter specifies "within the Continental United States".
Perhaps I should add Canada should I decide to go further afield.

--
Dan, 5J

2G
September 13th 15, 04:58 AM
On Friday, September 11, 2015 at 10:06:45 PM UTC-7, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:
> On Friday, September 11, 2015 at 9:15:25 PM UTC-7, 2G wrote:
>
> > I never applied for this paperwork and wasn't ever questioned (falls into the category of "don't ask >for permission but seek forgiveness - if caught [hell, it worked for the Clintons for years!]}.
>
> Very poor advice, can get your glider seized. Follow the rules and get all the required paperwork.

HIGHLY UNLIKELY - my glider was type certified in Germany, but imported to the US as experimental. Transport Canada is looking for homebuilts.

George Haeh
September 13th 15, 06:17 AM
A glider was imported to Alberta a few
years ago, but after getting the CofR, the
owner took it to an AME (Canadian
equivalent of A&P IA) for an annual
inspection, but the AME was unfamiliar
with the import airworthiness process
which requires the laying on of hands by
an MD-M (Minister's Delegate -
Maintenance); so just did an annual.

No CofA was issued. A few folks flew it
and were later fined a few hundred bucks
per flight by Transport Canada.

September 13th 15, 10:13 PM
Plus if your glider has a German (LBA) type certificate, and you have a copy of it, it might be valid in Canada period. It would be worth checking out with Transport Canada.

On Saturday, September 12, 2015 at 11:30:07 PM UTC-6, George Haeh wrote:
> A glider was imported to Alberta a few
> years ago, but after getting the CofR, the
> owner took it to an AME (Canadian
> equivalent of A&P IA) for an annual
> inspection, but the AME was unfamiliar
> with the import airworthiness process
> which requires the laying on of hands by
> an MD-M (Minister's Delegate -
> Maintenance); so just did an annual.
>
> No CofA was issued. A few folks flew it
> and were later fined a few hundred bucks
> per flight by Transport Canada.

Dave Springford
September 13th 15, 11:55 PM
On Sunday, 13 September 2015 17:13:22 UTC-4, wrote:
> Plus if your glider has a German (LBA) type certificate, and you have a copy of it, it might be valid in Canada period. It would be worth checking out with Transport Canada.

NO - this is not correct!

The minute you register your glider as experimental in the US, it may not fly in Canadian Airspace without the specific approval of Transport Canada.

However, a US glider certificated under a normal Certificate of Airworthiness may be flown in Canada without any requirement to contact Transport Canada.

Any aircraft with an Experimental flight permit is considered, by Transport Canada, to be amateur-built and must comply with all the rules of a homebuilt prior to flight in Canada.

Google