PDA

View Full Version : Initial CFI Exam

Tango Eight
October 2nd 15, 10:17 PM
I'm interested in corresponding with anyone who has done an initial CFI in gliders with an FAA-provided examiner in the last year or two.

thanks,

Evan Ludeman

Bill T
October 3rd 15, 03:58 AM
I did mine in 2003 with an approved DPE. Not really within the last two years, but it's a start.
BillT

Greg Delp
October 3rd 15, 07:12 AM
Evan,

VT just had another CFIG camp this past week and two of Connecticut Soaring's members got their CFIG. One was an initial CFIG approved by the Windsor Locks FSDO for a DPE out of the area. The other I believe was an add on rating to a CFI certificate. If you'd like more details I can put you in contact with all the participants.

Tango Eight
October 3rd 15, 01:26 PM
On Saturday, October 3, 2015 at 2:12:22 AM UTC-4, Greg Delp wrote:
> Evan,
>
> VT just had another CFIG camp this past week and two of Connecticut Soaring's members got their CFIG. One was an initial CFIG approved by the Windsor Locks FSDO for a DPE out of the area. The other I believe was an add on rating to a CFI certificate. If you'd like more details I can put you in contact with all the participants.

Thanks Greg -- I was one of the camp attendees :-). About which, more another time. It was a very good week.

Our DPE found himself unexpectedly without authorization for initial CFI. So we're starting from scratch on Monday with the Portland FSDO.

I'm mostly trying to find out if the FAA has ever conducted glider checkrides in the Northeast and who was involved.

best,
Evan Ludeman

October 3rd 15, 03:49 PM
Hi Evan,

I did my FAA Pvt Glider check ride with FAA Inspector Bill Fitzgerald at Ridge Soaring. He flew up from Lubbock, Texas. A very thorough gentleman.

CJ

Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)
October 3rd 15, 04:43 PM
On Friday, October 2, 2015 at 5:18:04 PM UTC-4, Tango Eight wrote:
> I'm interested in corresponding with anyone who has done an initial CFI in gliders with an FAA-provided examiner in the last year or two.

> thanks,
>
> Evan Ludeman

Contact "UH", I believe we have had a couple "Initial CFIG's" done at our place in the last couple years.
I believe HHSC has a member that can do them as well, or at least knows one. I know Monty (of M&H) used to do renewals.

My initial was a looooong time ago out of the Teterboro FSDO, I know he moved on long ago.

Greg Delp
October 3rd 15, 05:58 PM
You might be able to get Marilyn Pearson (one of two of the FAA's national glider resources) at the Windsor Locks FSDO to give the ride. She is doing some other duties as assigned with the DC office or something but it might be worth calling her.

Tim Hanke
October 3rd 15, 08:06 PM
We have one in Saratoga Springs, NY that can do initial CFIG's. He works with the Albany FSDO.
E-mail me for the name and number if you need it.

Tim

On Friday, October 2, 2015 at 5:18:04 PM UTC-4, Tango Eight wrote:
> I'm interested in corresponding with anyone who has done an initial CFI in gliders with an FAA-provided examiner in the last year or two.

> thanks,
>
> Evan Ludeman

October 4th 15, 04:59 PM
James (Jim) Martin of the Finger Lakes Soaring Club in Dansville, NY is a DPE working out of the Rochester, NY FSDO.

He can do Intial CFI-Glider Practical Exams.

Jim has more than 10,000 hours in Airplanes and over 2,000 hours in Gliders. He is very experienced, thorough and fair examiner.

Jim gave me my CFI-G Practical Test in August, 2015.

Chuck Zabinski
Finger Lakes Soarng Club

October 5th 15, 08:48 PM
On Friday, October 2, 2015 at 5:18:04 PM UTC-4, Tango Eight wrote:
> I'm interested in corresponding with anyone who has done an initial CFI in gliders with an FAA-provided examiner in the last year or two.

> thanks,
>
> Evan Ludeman

Evan,
You may want to talk to Steve Brown who was at your camp (for a few days anyways). He may be eligible to do the check ride. I believe he will be at Gorham for a couple of days although I think he is planning on instructing at 1Bg the first weekend.

October 6th 15, 04:13 AM
On Friday, October 2, 2015 at 3:18:04 PM UTC-6, Tango Eight wrote:
> I'm interested in corresponding with anyone who has done an initial CFI in gliders with an FAA-provided examiner in the last year or two.

> thanks,
>
> Evan Ludeman

I passed mine on Sept.14.2015 with Chris Lang at Boulder Colorado.Chris is out of the Denver Office and was a fair thorough examiner.I am not sure if he would travel to the East Coast.Best of Luck,Tom W

Charles Waldo
October 6th 15, 05:33 PM
Evan

I got mine last year in Middletown NY. I'll be at the wave camp in NH if you want to talk.

Chuck
2K

SF
October 6th 15, 05:59 PM
Evan,
When I got my Initial CFIG several years ago, our local DPE was not allowed to do initial CFIG, and I had to get the exam from one of the local FSDO guys. He came to me, and I provided a place for the oral exam, the towplane and the two place glider.

Based on my experience, expect a very thorough oral exam, where you need to answer the questions the FAA way (exactly like the written tests). The actual check ride won't be a problem for someone at your skill level. In all probability you are going to have much more experience with a glider in flight than the examiner.

I thought it was easier than my commercial oral/check ride with our local DPE.

Always guard the stick, and keep your feet lightly on the pedals. At some point every student will surprise you at a very inopportune moment, and you don't want to delay your access to the controls.

SF

Google