PDA

View Full Version : Real GPS with flight simulator

Sam Body
February 6th 04, 08:06 PM
Is it possible to have a flight simulator (MS or X-plane) to send the
simulated position to the serial port (MNEA phrases) in such a way
that a real handheld GPS would show that sane position on it's screen.
This would enhance the learning experience a lot.
One could set the flight plan on the GPS and fly it on the simulator.
Any ideas?
T h a n k y o u !

Melchior FRANZ
February 6th 04, 08:25 PM
* Sam Body -- Friday 06 February 2004 21:06:
> Is it possible to have a flight simulator (MS or X-plane) to send the
> simulated position to the serial port (MNEA phrases) in such a way
> that a real handheld GPS would show that sane position on it's screen.

Haven't tried it, but I think this works in FlightGear:
http://www.flightgear.org/
FlightGear is licensed under the GPL (GNU public license) and can be
downloaded for free, together with the whole source code (optionally).
It works under MICROS~1 Windows, Linux, IRIX, Mac OS X, ...

Screenshots under http://www.flightgear.org/Gallery/ and
http://www.simscreens.net/index.php?sub=categories&sim=14

From the README.IO file:

| Serial Port Communication:
|
| --nmea=serial,dir,hz,device,baud
|
| device = OS device name of serial line to be open()'ed
| baud = {300, 1200, 2400, ..., 230400}
|
| example to pretend we are a real gps and output to a moving map application:
|
| --nmea=serial,out,0.5,COM1,4800
|
| Note that for unix varients you might use a device name like "/dev/ttyS0"

m.

Melchior FRANZ
February 6th 04, 09:39 PM
* Melissa -- Friday 06 February 2004 22:33:
> On Fri, 06 Feb 2004 21:25:09 +0100, Melchior FRANZ wrote:
> > http://www.flightgear.org/
>
> Though I'm very happy with Microsoft FS2004, out of curiosity, I've
> installed FlightGear in both WinXP and Mandrake 9.2 (I have two hard
> drives in this computer, with each OS having its own drive).
> [...]
> I can't get FlightGear to work in either OS. In Linux,
> when I run FlightGear, I'm faced with an instrument panel (just
> illuminated "outlines" of the guages over a black background,

If it doesn't work on both systems, then I suspect problems with
the graphics card. I don't remember having seen any similar bug
report. I suggest to subscribe to the users mailing list and to ask
there. The developers are very helpful! Sorry that I can't tell
you a solution. :-/

m.

Nikola Gidalov
February 14th 04, 06:24 PM
Hi Sam,

Maybe this is what you are looking for
http://www.schiratti.com/dowson.html

GPSout 2.55

With kind regards,
Nikola

"Sam Body" > wrote in message
om...
> Is it possible to have a flight simulator (MS or X-plane) to send the
> simulated position to the serial port (MNEA phrases) in such a way
> that a real handheld GPS would show that sane position on it's screen.
> This would enhance the learning experience a lot.
> One could set the flight plan on the GPS and fly it on the simulator.
> Any ideas?
> T h a n k y o u !

Sam Body
February 14th 04, 06:48 PM
Thank you for your responses!
Is there anything that works with x-plane (my favorite)?
So far we have flightgear: built in
MS FS: http://www.schiratti.com/dowson.html
x-plane: ?

Have simflying!

Ken
February 17th 04, 03:15 PM
Hey that's a great add on. I have a IPAQ and Tomtom GPS software .. is it
possible with this setup please?

Ken

"Nikola Gidalov" > wrote in message
. nl...
> Hi Sam,
>
> Maybe this is what you are looking for
> http://www.schiratti.com/dowson.html
>
> GPSout 2.55
>
> With kind regards,
> Nikola
>

> "Sam Body" > wrote in message
> om...
> > Is it possible to have a flight simulator (MS or X-plane) to send the
> > simulated position to the serial port (MNEA phrases) in such a way
> > that a real handheld GPS would show that sane position on it's screen.
> > This would enhance the learning experience a lot.
> > One could set the flight plan on the GPS and fly it on the simulator.
> > Any ideas?
> > T h a n k y o u !

Greasy Rider
February 17th 04, 03:30 PM
On Tue, 17 Feb 2004 15:15:34 -0000, "Ken" >
arranged phosphur particles on my screen with the following:

>Hey that's a great add on. I have a IPAQ and Tomtom GPS software .. is it
>possible with this setup please?
>

>Ken
>

>"Nikola Gidalov" > wrote in message
. nl...
>> Hi Sam,
>>
>> Maybe this is what you are looking for
>> http://www.schiratti.com/dowson.html
>>
>> GPSout 2.55
>>
>> With kind regards,
>> Nikola
>>

>> "Sam Body" > wrote in message
>> om...
>> > Is it possible to have a flight simulator (MS or X-plane) to send the
>> > simulated position to the serial port (MNEA phrases) in such a way
>> > that a real handheld GPS would show that sane position on it's screen.
>> > This would enhance the learning experience a lot.
>> > One could set the flight plan on the GPS and fly it on the simulator.
>> > Any ideas?
>> > T h a n k y o u !

Why people top post is beyond me...

Ride Safe!

Greasy Rider
97 FLHTCi Lehman trike
50 Years in motorcyling!

Ken
February 17th 04, 05:27 PM
Purly because it saves loads of time to read the new message without
scrolling through loads of text.

Ken

"Greasy Rider" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 17 Feb 2004 15:15:34 -0000, "Ken" >
> arranged phosphur particles on my screen with the following:
>
> >Hey that's a great add on. I have a IPAQ and Tomtom GPS software .. is
it
> >possible with this setup please?
> >

> >Ken
> >

> >"Nikola Gidalov" > wrote in message
> . nl...
> >> Hi Sam,
> >>
> >> Maybe this is what you are looking for
> >> http://www.schiratti.com/dowson.html
> >>
> >> GPSout 2.55
> >>
> >> With kind regards,
> >> Nikola
> >>

> >> "Sam Body" > wrote in message
> >> om...
>

> Why people top post is beyond me...
>

> Ride Safe!
>
> Greasy Rider
> 97 FLHTCi Lehman trike
> 50 Years in motorcyling!

Greasy Rider
February 17th 04, 05:50 PM
On Tue, 17 Feb 2004 17:27:14 -0000, "Ken" >
arranged phosphur particles on my screen with the following:

>Purly because it saves loads of time to read the new message without
>scrolling through loads of text.

How difficult is it to snip the extraneous stuff and leave just what
you are responding to?

Answer: Because it interrupts the flow of the message..
Question: Why is top posting so confusing?

Ken
February 17th 04, 06:07 PM
OK I like it you don't.

Ken

"Greasy Rider" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 17 Feb 2004 17:27:14 -0000, "Ken" >
> arranged phosphur particles on my screen with the following:
>
> >Purly because it saves loads of time to read the new message without
> >scrolling through loads of text.
>
> How difficult is it to snip the extraneous stuff and leave just what
> you are responding to?
>

> Answer: Because it interrupts the flow of the message..
> Question: Why is top posting so confusing?

Greasy Rider
February 17th 04, 07:03 PM
On Tue, 17 Feb 2004 18:07:46 -0000, "Ken" >
arranged phosphur particles on my screen with the following:

Well, if you like it then you'll love this.

>OK I like it you don't.

Answer: Because it interrupts the flow of the message..
Question: Why is top posting so confusing?

Peter Duniho
February 17th 04, 09:25 PM
"Greasy Rider" > wrote in message
> [...]
> Why people top post is beyond me...

Probably similar to the reason that some people don't bother to trim the
quoted text (top- or bottom-posting)

Pete

Google