PDA

View Full Version : Bohli Compass

October 30th 15, 01:02 AM
What is a reasonable value of a Bohli compass? does not appear to have ever been installed
Does it still have value?

r/Jim

Dan Marotta
October 30th 15, 06:09 PM
No, it's worthless now. Please send it to me and I will dispose of it
properly. :-D

--
Dan, 5J

Stephen Damon
October 30th 15, 10:23 PM
I hate to see Dan have to go to the trouble of opening the package so send it to me, collect!

October 30th 15, 10:41 PM
On Friday, October 30, 2015 at 6:23:54 PM UTC-4, Stephen Damon wrote:
> I hate to see Dan have to go to the trouble of opening the package so send it to me, collect!

Maybe I should put it on e-bay and see where it goes. Sounds like it is worth more than I thought.

AS
October 31st 15, 03:09 AM
On Thursday, October 29, 2015 at 9:03:35 PM UTC-4, wrote:
> What is a reasonable value of a Bohli compass? does not appear to have ever been installed
> Does it still have value?
>
> r/Jim

Weren't they once banned from use in contests?
Uli

Frank Whiteley
October 31st 15, 05:07 AM
In continental Europe. Not sure if that expanded to the UK.

Chris Rollings[_2_]
October 31st 15, 07:08 AM
The ban was because a very skilled pilot could cloud fly without gyro
instruments, just using a Bohli compass. Not banned in the UK because we
allow cloud flying.

At 03:09 31 October 2015, AS wrote:
>On Thursday, October 29, 2015 at 9:03:35 PM UTC-4,
>wrote:
>> What is a reasonable value of a Bohli compass? does not appear to have
>ever been installed
>> Does it still have value?
>>
>> r/Jim
>
>Weren't they once banned from use in contests?
>Uli

Ross[_3_]
October 31st 15, 07:41 AM
On Friday, 30 October 2015 02:03:35 UTC+1, wrote:
> What is a reasonable value of a Bohli compass? does not appear to have ever been installed
> Does it still have value?
>
> r/Jim

Last one I saw sell on Ebay in Europe went for 165 Euro.

They are a valuable piece if in working order.

Stephen Damon
October 31st 15, 01:23 PM
And if you have box and insteuctions, very finicky.

Dan Marotta
October 31st 15, 02:16 PM
I truly don't know what it's worth, if anything.

I've read that, properly set up, it can be used to fly in clouds. I've
also read that it was banned in contests in the US for just that
reason. It would be fun to have as a toy, just like that J-8 attitude
indicator that I've had in a box for close to 40 years.

On 10/30/2015 4:41 PM, wrote:
> On Friday, October 30, 2015 at 6:23:54 PM UTC-4, Stephen Damon wrote:
>> I hate to see Dan have to go to the trouble of opening the package so send it to me, collect!
> Maybe I should put it on e-bay and see where it goes. Sounds like it is worth more than I thought.

--
Dan, 5J

Soartech
October 31st 15, 02:58 PM
Re: use of compass for cloud flying.
I have read here that XCSoar has this artifical horizon capability.
Yet the manual says nothing about it. Is this one of those hidden features
that many pieces of software have?
Does anyone know how to access it?

Dan Marotta
October 31st 15, 03:48 PM
The XCSoar horizon can be selected in an Info Box.

Press and hold on the Info Box of your choice, select Switch InfoBox,
find and select Attitude Indicator, select Close. The selected Info Box
will be labeled, "Horizon". I've tried it and I found it of no use.

On 10/31/2015 8:58 AM, Soartech wrote:
> Re: use of compass for cloud flying.
> I have read here that XCSoar has this artifical horizon capability.
> Yet the manual says nothing about it. Is this one of those hidden features
> that many pieces of software have?
> Does anyone know how to access it?

--
Dan, 5J

Jonathan St. Cloud
October 31st 15, 06:57 PM
On Thursday, October 29, 2015 at 6:03:35 PM UTC-7, wrote:
> What is a reasonable value of a Bohli compass? does not appear to have ever been installed
> Does it still have value?
>
> r/Jim

If you want to contact me privately (tab on right side of message, I would be willing to speak to you about purchasing.

krasw
October 31st 15, 07:04 PM
lauantai 31. lokakuuta 2015 16.16.26 UTC+2 Dan Marotta kirjoitti:
> I truly don't know what it's worth, if anything.
>

> I've read that, properly set up, it can be used to fly in clouds.*
> I've also read that it was banned in contests in the US for just
> that reason.* It would be fun to have as a toy, just like that J-8
> attitude indicator that I've had in a box for close to 40 years.

I've flown with Bohli compass and it's main use is same as directional gyro's. When IMC (or VMC, of course) you can straighten your turn to correct heading right away if compass is tilted correctly. With normal Airpath compass procedure inside cloud is to straighten to any direction, wait 15-30 sec to get compass reading, then calculate how many seconds to make 30sec (or 1 min) standard rate turn to correct heading. This takes easily couple of minutes in all. These days any modern GPS gives you track reading at 1 hZ, which makes Bohli compass totally obsolete. You can not fly IMC with only Bohli compass, that has to be some misunderstanding.

Chris Rollings[_2_]
November 1st 15, 06:59 AM
At 19:04 31 October 2015, krasw wrote:
>lauantai 31. lokakuuta 2015 16.16.26 UTC+2 Dan Marotta kirjoitti:
>> I truly don't know what it's worth, if anything.
>>=20
>> =20
>>=20
>> I've read that, properly set up, it can be used to fly in
clouds.=A0
>> I've also read that it was banned in contests in the US for just
>> that reason.=A0 It would be fun to have as a toy, just like that
J-8
>> attitude indicator that I've had in a box for close to 40 years.
>
>I've flown with Bohli compass and it's main use is same as directional
>gyro=
>'s. When IMC (or VMC, of course) you can straighten your turn to correct
>he=
>ading right away if compass is tilted correctly. With normal Airpath
>compas=
>s procedure inside cloud is to straighten to any direction, wait 15-30
sec
>=
>to get compass reading, then calculate how many seconds to make 30sec (or
>1=
> min) standard rate turn to correct heading. This takes easily couple of
>mi=
>nutes in all. These days any modern GPS gives you track reading at 1 hZ,
>wh=
>ich makes Bohli compass totally obsolete. You can not fly IMC with only
>Boh=
>li compass, that has to be some misunderstanding.

You can fly IMC (ie climb in thermals in cloud and straighten up on a
heading) on just a Bohli, ASI and slip ball, I have done so in the past to
prove the point. It is very high workload and taxed me near to the limit
and I have far more cloud flying experience in gliders than most pilots.

krasw
November 1st 15, 08:13 AM
sunnuntai 1. marraskuuta 2015 9.00.07 UTC+2 Chris Rollings kirjoitti:
> You can fly IMC (ie climb in thermals in cloud and straighten up on a
> heading) on just a Bohli, ASI and slip ball, I have done so in the past to
> prove the point. It is very high workload and taxed me near to the limit
> and I have far more cloud flying experience in gliders than most pilots.

Then you could do it also by looking at gps track instead of compass. I have only enough IMC experience to not try that kind of stunt.

Chris Rollings[_2_]
November 1st 15, 01:03 PM
At 08:13 01 November 2015, krasw wrote:
>sunnuntai 1. marraskuuta 2015 9.00.07 UTC+2 Chris Rollings kirjoitti:
>> You can fly IMC (ie climb in thermals in cloud and straighten up on a
>> heading) on just a Bohli, ASI and slip ball, I have done so in the past
>> prove the point. It is very high workload and taxed me near to the
limit
>> and I have far more cloud flying experience in gliders than most
pilots.

>Then you could do it also by looking at gps track instead of compass. I
>have only enough IMC experience to not try that kind of stunt.

Actually, that's not the case, a Bohli gives (by inference) angle of bank
information as well as heading. If the indicator is tracking
concentrically with the instrument then the instrument is tilted to the
aircraft's angle of bank. If it isn't the you change the angle of tilt on
the compass until it is.

Jonathan St. Cloud
November 1st 15, 06:08 PM
So basically there is no reason to ban them from competition. As myself and others have pointed out, a smart phone or tablet also is capable of acting as a Horizon with free apps available.

On Saturday, October 31, 2015 at 12:04:41 PM UTC-7, krasw wrote:

> I've flown with Bohli compass and it's main use is same as directional gyro's. When IMC (or VMC, of course) you can straighten your turn to correct heading right away if compass is tilted correctly. With normal Airpath compass procedure inside cloud is to straighten to any direction, wait 15-30 sec to get compass reading, then calculate how many seconds to make 30sec (or 1 min) standard rate turn to correct heading. This takes easily couple of minutes in all. These days any modern GPS gives you track reading at 1 hZ, which makes Bohli compass totally obsolete. You can not fly IMC with only Bohli compass, that has to be some misunderstanding.

Google