PDA

View Full Version : In retrospect, some examples of Good/Bad Go/No-Go decisions you've made

son_of_flubber
November 4th 15, 01:24 AM
Hazy today from a distant forest fire? I'm not flying. (That one's easy.)

November 4th 15, 02:37 AM
Uh. Yesterday a.m. S Nevada. 10:00 am.

Winds 270 @ 55 kits @ FL 070 and little variation of wind direction with height up to FL350.

After a serious rock & roll ride through nasty rotor, the guys climbing through 12,500 in nothing more than a humble 2-33A. Keeping track of the giant flag at the hotel below.

Winds on the field progressed to a 45 KT direct crosswind. Without O2 they elected to hurry back down rather than see how high they could get.

Descending for half an hour, dive brakes full open, nose down @ 70 -80 mph. Great difficulty getting below 7000 AGL.

When they finally made it to 1000 ft above pattern, it still took full brakes, full slips to get it on the runway; now 55 mph crosswind.

Four people to manhandle it back to the tie down without it flipping over out of their hands.

Only got more wicked after lunch. Discretion the better part of having the first good 2015 Fall wave day.
,

Dan Marotta
November 4th 15, 03:31 PM
Gotta ask: Did they land across the runway?

--
Dan, 5J

November 4th 15, 08:11 PM
They opted to land into the wind, but on the 20 M long, 1100 M wide runway. Didnt roll very far and the skid marks didnt show up on the newly paved black asphalt. ;)

Google