PDA

View Full Version : Nice video from last Saturday

Dirk Schaap
November 30th 15, 08:51 PM
http://youtu.be/BDPAaw_kF3g

Stephen Damon
December 1st 15, 02:26 AM
The seat on the trailer was very safe for the rider?

WAVEGURU
December 1st 15, 02:41 AM
Best soaring video I've seen in years... Great times and great video. Ride the trailer, or don't, if you are a pussy like Stephen.

Boggs

AS
December 1st 15, 03:48 AM
On Monday, November 30, 2015 at 4:00:13 PM UTC-5, Dirk Schaap wrote:
> http://youtu.be/BDPAaw_kF3g

Goed gedaan, Dirk!! Where in the Netherlands was this video taken?
Brings back memories - I soloed on the Vliegveld Haamstede!

Uli
AS

K m
December 1st 15, 06:15 PM
On Monday, November 30, 2015 at 2:00:13 PM UTC-7, Dirk Schaap wrote:
> http://youtu.be/BDPAaw_kF3g

Thanks for posting! My wife was watching over my shoulder and said "Damn, how do they get all those people to help, when I do a retrieve it is just us two". What a club!

Papa3[_2_]
December 1st 15, 06:20 PM
Beautiful. Pure fun, which is what this sport is supposed to be about!

ND
December 1st 15, 06:38 PM
On Monday, November 30, 2015 at 9:41:19 PM UTC-5, Waveguru wrote:
> Best soaring video I've seen in years... Great times and great video. Ride the trailer, or don't, if you are a pussy like Stephen.
>
> Boggs

and you HAVE TO ride the trailer if you aren't using the right size ball... XD

Papa3[_2_]
December 1st 15, 08:37 PM
On Tuesday, December 1, 2015 at 1:38:25 PM UTC-5, ND wrote:
> On Monday, November 30, 2015 at 9:41:19 PM UTC-5, Waveguru wrote:
> > Best soaring video I've seen in years... Great times and great video. Ride the trailer, or don't, if you are a pussy like Stephen.
> >
> > Boggs
>
> and you HAVE TO ride the trailer if you aren't using the right size ball... XD

We used to use our open Gherlein trailers to give hay rides around the perimeter of the airport and woods during our annual club Pig Roast in the early Fall. With enough beer involved, a few of those went very, very badly... :-)

Jonathan St. Cloud
December 1st 15, 09:30 PM
On Monday, November 30, 2015 at 1:00:13 PM UTC-8, Dirk Schaap wrote:
> http://youtu.be/BDPAaw_kF3g

Is that an ASK 23?

Martin Gregorie[_5_]
December 1st 15, 10:46 PM
On Tue, 01 Dec 2015 13:30:27 -0800, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:

> On Monday, November 30, 2015 at 1:00:13 PM UTC-8, Dirk Schaap wrote:
>> http://youtu.be/BDPAaw_kF3g
>
> Is that an ASK 23?

I think so. The nosewheel is a bit of a giveaway. The only other common
glass single seater with a nosewheel is the PW-5 and that isn't one.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK

Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)
December 1st 15, 11:12 PM
On Monday, November 30, 2015 at 4:00:13 PM UTC-5, Dirk Schaap wrote:
> http://youtu.be/BDPAaw_kF3g

Thanks for sharing..... looks like fun, how long are the usable dunes in the video? Is it a mile, multi-miles?
What kind of flight times (yes, L/D can make a difference)....?

Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)
December 1st 15, 11:16 PM
On Tuesday, December 1, 2015 at 6:12:41 PM UTC-5, Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot) wrote:
> On Monday, November 30, 2015 at 4:00:13 PM UTC-5, Dirk Schaap wrote:
> > http://youtu.be/BDPAaw_kF3g
>
> Thanks for sharing..... looks like fun, how long are the usable dunes in the video? Is it a mile, multi-miles?
> What kind of flight times (yes, L/D can make a difference)....?

Forgot to ask, how were they launched? I will assume winch into the lift?

[Am I missing something on how to edit my posted text after posting? I'm more used to a "forum" where I can go back & change/edit/add to a post]

Martin Gregorie[_5_]
December 2nd 15, 12:18 AM
On Tue, 01 Dec 2015 15:16:23 -0800, Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)
wrote:

> On Tuesday, December 1, 2015 at 6:12:41 PM UTC-5, Charlie M. (UH & 002
> owner/pilot) wrote:
>> On Monday, November 30, 2015 at 4:00:13 PM UTC-5, Dirk Schaap wrote:
>> > http://youtu.be/BDPAaw_kF3g
>>
>> Thanks for sharing..... looks like fun, how long are the usable dunes
>> in the video? Is it a mile, multi-miles?
>> What kind of flight times (yes, L/D can make a difference)....?
>
> Forgot to ask, how were they launched? I will assume winch into the
> lift?

Take another look at the opening shot. The glider field is close the the
landward side of the dunes. The ASK-23 is winched straight off the field
and released to fly out over the sea before loosing height to go dune
running.

I have no idea how they launched gliders after they'd landed on the
beach, though. Autotow at a guess. A Skylaunch or Van Gelder winch would
be a heavy old beast to tow on the soft(ish) sand forming the road off
the beach.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK

Chris Snyder
December 2nd 15, 05:45 PM
On Monday, November 30, 2015 at 4:00:13 PM UTC-5, Dirk Schaap wrote:
> http://youtu.be/BDPAaw_kF3g

Looks like a heck of a crosswind! Nice landings. Fantastic vid.

December 3rd 15, 05:28 AM
So fun to see all of those youngin's doing everything from flying, to catching the wing, to putting it in the box, to driving the tractor!!! What a great video and looks like such a fun place to fly! Great video.

Bruno - B4

Google