PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a parachute rigger around New York City...

PAGA
December 1st 15, 07:58 PM
It's all in the title : having just bought this used National 425B (January 2001) which is in great condition but I would love to get it inspected and re-packed before carrying it on-board. This topic probably comes up often but I could not find it within the searches I tried here. If needed I can drive 100 miles in any directions from NYC.

Papa3[_2_]
December 1st 15, 08:34 PM
On Tuesday, December 1, 2015 at 2:58:21 PM UTC-5, PAGA wrote:
> It's all in the title : having just bought this used National 425B (January 2001) which is in great condition but I would love to get it inspected and re-packed before carrying it on-board. This topic probably comes up often but I could not find it within the searches I tried here. If needed I can drive 100 miles in any directions from NYC.
>
> Thank you very much in advance for your help.

Many of us from Blairstown use Sky's The Limit over at Stroudsburg. We sometimes fly them over in the 1-72 or one guy will drive a bunch of them over.. It's about a 30 minute one-way drive from Blairstown or 5 minute flight..

Erik Mann

December 1st 15, 08:41 PM
On Tuesday, December 1, 2015 at 2:58:21 PM UTC-5, PAGA wrote:
> It's all in the title : having just bought this used National 425B (January 2001) which is in great condition but I would love to get it inspected and re-packed before carrying it on-board. This topic probably comes up often but I could not find it within the searches I tried here. If needed I can drive 100 miles in any directions from NYC.
>
> Thank you very much in advance for your help.

Near Middletown NY- Jason Kainu 845-342-0488

UH

December 1st 15, 09:38 PM
FWIW: National Parachute used to be located in Flemington, NJ although I see that the Web site shows them in Palenville, NY now: 75 miles as the crow flies from the GW Bridge. I had great success working with them in the past (in NJ) on a chute that had a National canopy and needed a little AD work plus repack. Haven't dealt with them in the new location or even to know if it's the same people. Since the other two posters are local, I assume they know more than I do about this and I'd trust their referrals.

You probably know this but I'll mention it because I've been there: a 15 year old chute in great condition could last a long time if you take care of it. But finding a rigger to pack it after it reaches 20 years old can be difficult. From the National Parachute Manual (2014, for chutes manufactured after June 2009):

"The Parachute Industry Association (PIA) has visited this issue without conclusion to date. Until the PIA specifies otherwise, it is the recomendation (sic) of National Parachute that the maximum service life is 20 years from date of manufacture (this includes the harness, container and pilot chute)."

I've had riggers tell me an older chute is just fine (after pull testing it) and they repacked it without a problem. But I've also had numerous other riggers say "no, thanks", apparently because of insurance/liability considerations.

Chip Bearden
ASW 24 "JB"
U.S.A.

Cookie
December 2nd 15, 12:41 AM
National has moved from Flemington NJ...I've tried to contact them by e mail and by phone with no reply...

For repack and inspect...this is on their website:

JAN., 2013 "New Service Location"
The "Inspection-Repack-Service" location has moved from Flemington. Please note new location below and contact directly:

High Time Skydiving Ent.,
804 Harleysville Pike, Suite 201,
Rt 113 & Schlosser Rd,
Harleysville, PA 19438
PH: 610-442-7500
Marc Nadeau
E-mail:

Cookie
December 2nd 15, 12:55 AM
On Tuesday, December 1, 2015 at 7:41:29 PM UTC-5, Cookie wrote:
> National has moved from Flemington NJ...I've tried to contact them by e mail and by phone with no reply...
>
> For repack and inspect...this is on their website:

I've used National Parachute, Sky Dive Sussex, and Pennsylvania Parachute, for repack...all with good service...Sometimes I take the chute in person and drop it off..pick up later..but I've also just shipped it...A few extra $$$ for shipping..but less of my time gas money and hassle...

Cookie

> JAN., 2013 "New Service Location"
> The "Inspection-Repack-Service" location has moved from Flemington. Please note new location below and contact directly:
>
> High Time Skydiving Ent.,
> 804 Harleysville Pike, Suite 201,
> Rt 113 & Schlosser Rd,
> Harleysville, PA 19438
> PH: 610-442-7500
> Marc Nadeau
> E-mail:

PAGA
December 24th 15, 04:20 PM
Excellent service from Pennsylvania Parachute Company : simply email them at

I simply shipped my parachute to them into a PO box on Pennsylvania, they charged me $90 for inspecting and repacking... plus a small fee to shipping back to me, the whole thing took less than 2 weeks, without drama and saving a lot of gas money (and while saving time driving around too).

Thank you all for you help in this thread.

Google