PDA

View Full Version : PowerFlarm Core + Libelle 301

Kevin Christner
December 23rd 15, 10:03 PM
Has anyone attempted to mount a PowerFlarm antenna in a Libelle? Any advice?

Thanks.

December 23rd 15, 10:38 PM
On Wednesday, December 23, 2015 at 5:03:08 PM UTC-5, Kevin Christner wrote:
> Has anyone attempted to mount a PowerFlarm antenna in a Libelle? Any advice?
>
> Thanks.

Nose is all glass so it should be able to be mounted on the instrument tray without too much pain.
Have fun
UH

December 23rd 15, 11:05 PM
Kevin, I installed a Flarm Core in a 201 Libelle which should be nearly the same. Initially I placed the two antennas (dipole) on either side of the canopy hold down mechanism about 8 inches apart, on little lexan posts. It looked really cool but worked poorly probably because of some weirdness with the nearby metal in the latch. I then mounted one on either side of the cockpit nose with velcro about the level of my knees. It works great, and has excellent range. Try to stay several inches above the rudder cables.
Dale Bush

December 23rd 15, 11:32 PM
On my Standard Libelle the antennas are in the nose on either side of the cockpit and attached with Velcro. I would say they are just a few inches forward of the instrument tray and right at the widest part of the cockpit section. They are out of the way and seems to work well enough.

Robert

On Wednesday, December 23, 2015 at 4:03:08 PM UTC-6, Kevin Christner wrote:
> Has anyone attempted to mount a PowerFlarm antenna in a Libelle? Any advice?
>
> Thanks.

Kevin Christner
December 24th 15, 12:05 AM
Dale,

How far forward did you mount them?

Looking at the manuals it appears the newer devices use two antennas on a single mount. Are you using a second set of antennas on both sides of the cockpit?

Thanks,

Kevin

December 24th 15, 05:30 PM
I think they are about six inches below the panel bottom and about 18 inches aft of the rudder pedals. Using two antennas gives better reception, as I think only one transmits Flarm data.
Dale

AS
December 24th 15, 11:56 PM
On Wednesday, December 23, 2015 at 5:03:08 PM UTC-5, Kevin Christner wrote:
> Has anyone attempted to mount a PowerFlarm antenna in a Libelle? Any advice?
>
> Thanks.

Kevin,

I installed PowerFLARM in my (then) H301. The antennas were installed with velcro pads just forward of the step in the cockpit wall below the panel. That is just about as far apart as you can get them in a Libelle and they are both pretty much vertical. Worked great!

Uli

Kevin Christner
December 25th 15, 02:36 AM
Thanks for all the advice.

Corollary question... If you have gone from one to two antennas did you see significantly improved accuracy?

December 25th 15, 03:53 AM
I have always had 2.

kirk.stant
December 25th 15, 02:51 PM
Flarm position accuracy is based on GPS so has nothing to do with antennas. The second antenna (and overall antenna setup) affects coverage and range.

Kirk
66

Kevin Christner
December 25th 15, 04:03 PM
That's what I was getting at. Wondering if it is worthwhile.

Dan Daly[_2_]
December 25th 15, 04:50 PM
On Friday, December 25, 2015 at 11:03:29 AM UTC-5, Kevin Christner wrote:
> That's what I was getting at. Wondering if it is worthwhile.

Try it with one (FLARM A) and run it through the RF Range Analyzer. If you have relatively circular coverage and adequate range, you may elect not to install FLARM B (if you are not grandfathered, this is also at extra cost).. If you don't have good circular coverage, you can experiment with FLARM B..

I have an SZD-55 and it gives me a roughly circular 5.5 km, which is good for me. A friend, also with an original CORE, has the same type glider, and had to install FLARM B to get a good all-around view. Antenna placement is fairly critical (distance between antennae, and GPS antennae). 'Verticality' of FLARM and ADS-B is important - set it so it is vertical in flight. This is due to the dipole antenna beamform.

The second antenna gives you a look at parts of the sky the other may not see.

You can do some of this on the ground. Install your system, and then drive around it with a FLARM Portable in your car (airfields have a lot of space to do this kind of thing). Run the range analyzer, or have a buddy drive it around while you observe in the cockpit ranges.

I've installed FLARMs in club ASW-20, ASW-24, Puchacz, own SZD-55, Junior. All work with only FLARM A (but none have carbon fibre and are transparent to RF (except for metal instruments); I run the RF Analyzer whenever an instrument change is made, and a couple of times a year to ensure the 'smiling piece of meat' (me) is protected.

Dan
2D

Google