PDA

View Full Version : Winch Launch School

Karl Striedieck[_2_]
January 6th 16, 06:02 PM
The Eagle Field winch launch team will be conducting training and ground launch sign off classes this coming summer. Slots are available for the June 4-5 class and other dates will be announced.

Although a ground launch endorsement may be useful someday for pilots with the air tow only restriction, there are other advantages to adding this skill.

Winch launches require manuevering in the unusual attitude realm, and that together with the time compression element exposes pilots to an operating environment most of us don't see in our day-to-day flying. But a familiarity with this new area of flying can be useful in situations such as upsets, and it promotes confidence.

(It's also good for a shot of adrenaline!)

Additionally, proper landings at Eagle Field contain some of the elements all pilots should be proficient with regarding off-airport landings. The rolling and sloped terrain, approach-end trees and good energy management add important skills to the course.

For an idea of what the operation involves, check out Sean Fidler's Vimeo video: https://vimeo.com/51897500

Contact: karls at uplink.net or 814 237 7996

Don Grillo[_2_]
January 7th 16, 03:10 PM
I can vouch for Karl and his team. I attended his winch school last April and believe it was some of the best training I have ever received. If you've never winched launched, you've missed out on the most exciting way to get airborne. Eagle Field also offers off field landing experience, uphill, downhill and sloping as the runway is slightly hilly. Highly recommended for every glider pilot and you'll learn from the best. And if the winds cooperate you may get to do some ridge soaring.
Don (4 weak links) Grillo. F2

Google