PDA

View Full Version : We have lost another soaring pioneer

Peter Smith[_3_]
January 10th 16, 03:07 PM
Bill Schweizer, the last of the three brothers who founded Schweizer Aircraft Corporation, has passed away. Here is a link to his obituary: http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/star-gazette/obituary.aspx?n=william-schweizer&pid=177226098&fhid=13269

January 10th 16, 03:26 PM
Fifty years ago I learned how to fly and soloed in a Schweizer 2-22. My first cross countries, badge flights, and contests were in a Schweizer 1-26. My earliest crewing experiences were for my father as he flew his Schweizer 1-23B. About a year and a half ago, I returned to soaring after several years away by checking out in a Schweizer 2-33. I wonder how many of us are out there--of all ages--who began our flying careers in gliders built by the Schweizer brothers. I suspect most of those gliders will still be flying long after I'm gone. It's a remarkable legacy. Thanks.

Chip Bearden
ASW 24 "JB"
U.S.A.

Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)
January 10th 16, 06:28 PM
On Sunday, January 10, 2016 at 10:07:18 AM UTC-5, Peter Smith wrote:
> Bill Schweizer, the last of the three brothers who founded Schweizer Aircraft Corporation, has passed away. Here is a link to his obituary: http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/star-gazette/obituary.aspx?n=william-schweizer&pid=177226098&fhid=13269

Sorry to hear about his passing, but he made it to 98 and added a LOT to US soaring!

Thanks for the info, condolences to the Schweizer family & their friends.

Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)
January 10th 16, 06:32 PM
On Sunday, January 10, 2016 at 10:26:04 AM UTC-5, wrote:
> Fifty years ago I learned how to fly and soloed in a Schweizer 2-22. My first cross countries, badge flights, and contests were in a Schweizer 1-26. My earliest crewing experiences were for my father as he flew his Schweizer 1-23B. About a year and a half ago, I returned to soaring after several years away by checking out in a Schweizer 2-33. I wonder how many of us are out there--of all ages--who began our flying careers in gliders built by the Schweizer brothers. I suspect most of those gliders will still be flying long after I'm gone. It's a remarkable legacy. Thanks.
>
> Chip Bearden
> ASW 24 "JB"
> U.S.A.

It was about 40 years ago for me and it was a 2-33 I learned in/soloed in.
I also did a lot of early flying (and badges) in a 1-26.
Our club still promotes the, "Start in a 2-33, go through a 1-26, then maybe a 1-34 before buying more performance.".
Not a bad way to go although we have a ASK-21 for some other "performance related" flying.

And yes, I'm sure various Schweizer gliders will be flying for many years to come.

[Even more reason to try & bring "002" to the HHSC VSC meet this summer!];-)

JD Williams
January 11th 16, 04:32 AM
Our club trains in a 2-33, it's where I started to learn soaring and where my daughter is beginning her path. Graduated to many fun hours in a 26. My private checkride was in Bermuda High's 33. My first solo in the 33, first single seat solo in the 26, and check rides are standout memories. I still love flying both of them.

I suspect Bill's new wings are aluminum and well earned.

JD

bumper[_4_]
January 11th 16, 05:37 AM
I had my first flight in a glider with my two young sons in 1982, all squeezed in the back seat. Four up, we launched from Lagoon Valley, Vacaville, CA and flew up and down the Vaca Ridge. At the time I was amazed by the skill of the pilot, being able to stay up in that ridge lift *and* land right back at the approach end of the strip. Wow!

When BofA kicked the glider op out of Lagoon Valley ostensibly to use the land to build office space (which never happened and the land sat fallow for decades), the 2-32 ended up at Hollister and finally SoaringNV purchased it and so it followed me over to Minden, NV. Haven't flown it, but I've towed many a first glider flight patron in it. And Elizabeth T. even married a couple in the back seat. Woohoo!

Good soaring, Bill.

bumper
zz
Minden

January 12th 16, 12:42 AM
On Sunday, January 10, 2016 at 10:07:18 AM UTC-5, Peter Smith wrote:
> Bill Schweizer, the last of the three brothers who founded Schweizer Aircraft Corporation, has passed away. Here is a link to his obituary: http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/star-gazette/obituary.aspx?n=william-schweizer&pid=177226098&fhid=13269

Bill gave a lot to our sport and always loved being around glider people.
The last time I saw him was at the 75th anniversary of SAC. When I walked up to say hi he said "Hello Hank- what's the count now?" , referring to how many Schweizer gliders we have brought back from the dead. This was a running "joke" between us. I updated him and told him we had a couple more candidates. He replied "get back to work and keep 'em alive".
He was very proud of what the Schweizer brothers had done for us, and rightly so.
Soar High Bill
UH

Google