PDA

View Full Version : Task Planning Software

Jonathan St. Cloud
January 18th 16, 11:24 PM
Was wondering if anyone could recommend a task planning program or excel file, that I could use to plan tasks i.e., FAI triangles, etc. Western USA with emphasis on CA, NV, UT.

waremark
January 19th 16, 12:07 AM
On Monday, 18 January 2016 23:24:39 UTC, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:
> Was wondering if anyone could recommend a task planning program or excel file, that I could use to plan tasks i.e., FAI triangles, etc. Western USA with emphasis on CA, NV, UT.

In the UK Naviter's SeeYou is pretty much regarded as the gold standard for task planning, flight analysis, management of flight computer files, and communication with electronic instruments. It is not free, but does not cost much and I consider it worth supporting professional software developers for the support they in turn give the sport.

Matt Herron Jr.
January 19th 16, 03:05 AM
On Monday, January 18, 2016 at 3:24:39 PM UTC-8, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:
> Was wondering if anyone could recommend a task planning program or excel file, that I could use to plan tasks i.e., FAI triangles, etc. Western USA with emphasis on CA, NV, UT.

Glideplan can also be used.

Larry Suter
January 19th 16, 04:43 AM
> Glideplan can also be used.

+1 on Glideplan

Larry

Surge
January 19th 16, 06:24 AM
You can do task planning online for free at http://www.prosoar.de/
Load a custom way point file, click on the map and build your FAI triangle.
You can change the turn point types as well.

Then export the task to XCSoar or SeeYou (it even supports QR codes so you don't even need to copy any files).

Surge
January 19th 16, 10:13 AM
FYI:
The proSoar code running on the http://www.prosoar.de/ website is a bit fussy about the way point file format.
If you're using SeeYou cup files and they won't load, check that there is a valid elevation for the turn points. I added "0m" to the turn points in my way point file to fix the problem.

Martin Gregorie[_5_]
January 19th 16, 10:35 AM
On Mon, 18 Jan 2016 16:07:59 -0800, waremark wrote:

> On Monday, 18 January 2016 23:24:39 UTC, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:
>> Was wondering if anyone could recommend a task planning program or
>> excel file, that I could use to plan tasks i.e., FAI triangles, etc.
>> Western USA with emphasis on CA, NV, UT.
>
> In the UK Naviter's SeeYou is pretty much regarded as the gold standard
> for task planning, flight analysis, management of flight computer files,
> and communication with electronic instruments. It is not free, but does
> not cost much and I consider it worth supporting professional software
> developers for the support they in turn give the sport.

I use a combination of SPINE and NOTAMPlot - the latter because its
screen is less cluttered than SPINE. Either is good for setting up the
task once you've checked weather (I use Avbrief + RASP for that), and
SPINE lets me download plottable NOTAMS in OpenAir format for use by
LK8000. However, this combo is unlikely to be useful outside the UK: both
programs use BGA turnpoints and UK NOTAM sources and don't appear to be
configurable for other data sources. Both are free programs.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK

Casey[_2_]
January 19th 16, 01:42 PM
On Tuesday, January 19, 2016 at 5:37:49 AM UTC-5, Martin Gregorie wrote:
> On Mon, 18 Jan 2016 16:07:59 -0800, waremark wrote:
>
> > On Monday, 18 January 2016 23:24:39 UTC, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:
> >> Was wondering if anyone could recommend a task planning program or
> >> excel file, that I could use to plan tasks i.e., FAI triangles, etc.
> >> Western USA with emphasis on CA, NV, UT.
> >
> > In the UK Naviter's SeeYou is pretty much regarded as the gold standard
> > for task planning, flight analysis, management of flight computer files,
> > and communication with electronic instruments. It is not free, but does
> > not cost much and I consider it worth supporting professional software
> > developers for the support they in turn give the sport.
>
> I use a combination of SPINE and NOTAMPlot - the latter because its
> screen is less cluttered than SPINE. Either is good for setting up the
> task once you've checked weather (I use Avbrief + RASP for that), and
> SPINE lets me download plottable NOTAMS in OpenAir format for use by
> LK8000. However, this combo is unlikely to be useful outside the UK: both
> programs use BGA turnpoints and UK NOTAM sources and don't appear to be
> configurable for other data sources. Both are free programs.
>

> --
> martin@ | Martin Gregorie
> gregorie. | Essex, UK
> org |

Martin,

NOTAM Plot is neat. One can select different types of flying sites like HG tow sites which the ones in the US are long enough to land a glider in. And the soaring forecast is nice too. Too bad NOTAM Plot is not available for US pilots.

Don Grillo[_2_]
January 19th 16, 03:19 PM
I use SeeYou. You can create hundreds of tasks and then sort them by distance or name. If you have a MFD (ex. LXNav 9050) that accepts the file you can load all your created tasks into it then select the task you want to fly (on the fly).

You can also load all igc files into SeeYou and watch your days flight with stunning detail. If you load your fellow competitors igc files into it as well you will see everyone's flight. It's worth the yearly subscription fee.

Don
F2

On Monday, January 18, 2016 at 5:24:39 PM UTC-6, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:
> Was wondering if anyone could recommend a task planning program or excel file, that I could use to plan tasks i.e., FAI triangles, etc. Western USA with emphasis on CA, NV, UT.

Dan Marotta
January 19th 16, 09:15 PM
XCSoar

On 1/18/2016 4:24 PM, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:
> Was wondering if anyone could recommend a task planning program or excel file, that I could use to plan tasks i.e., FAI triangles, etc. Western USA with emphasis on CA, NV, UT.

--
Dan, 5J

Dan Marotta
January 19th 16, 09:19 PM
And you can run XCSoar on a PC at home if your device is at the
airport. The tasks you create can be uploaded to your XCSoar device via
SD card or with a USB cable from a laptop.

--
Dan, 5J

Google