PDA

View Full Version : Winter musing - Poll on Bugs

Soartech
January 23rd 16, 11:10 PM
Recently NASA did a study on coatings for wings that was supposed to shed bugs. A Google search for a US map of flying insect density returns nothing useful.
Please post your experienced Bug density according to the following scale and what state this data is for. I will summarize the results in a map of the US if I get enough data.

0 - never saw a bug splat on my glider
1 - light, here and there splatters
2 - moderate, a few bugs per foot of wing
3 - heavy, lots of bugs per foot of wing
4 - very heavy, many bugs per inch of wing

You may also note if you have a bug problem only during short "buggy periods" but I am more intersted in what you feel is a season average for your area.
Thanks !

Craig Funston
January 23rd 16, 11:20 PM
On Saturday, January 23, 2016 at 3:10:52 PM UTC-8, Soartech wrote:
> Recently NASA did a study on coatings for wings that was supposed to shed bugs. A Google search for a US map of flying insect density returns nothing useful.
> Please post your experienced Bug density according to the following scale and what state this data is for. I will summarize the results in a map of the US if I get enough data.
>
> 0 - never saw a bug splat on my glider
> 1 - light, here and there splatters
> 2 - moderate, a few bugs per foot of wing
> 3 - heavy, lots of bugs per foot of wing
> 4 - very heavy, many bugs per inch of wing
>
> You may also note if you have a bug problem only during short "buggy periods" but I am more intersted in what you feel is a season average for your area.
> Thanks !

3 Ephrata, WA USA

Tony[_5_]
January 23rd 16, 11:57 PM
Western Kansas - 1
Central Kansas - 2-3

Jonathan St. Cloud
January 24th 16, 04:48 AM
Southern cal - 1

Minden - 0

Parowan UT - 0

Bruce Hoult
January 24th 16, 11:33 AM
On Sunday, January 24, 2016 at 2:10:52 AM UTC+3, Soartech wrote:
> Recently NASA did a study on coatings for wings that was supposed to shed bugs. A Google search for a US map of flying insect density returns nothing useful.
> Please post your experienced Bug density according to the following scale and what state this data is for. I will summarize the results in a map of the US if I get enough data.
>
> 0 - never saw a bug splat on my glider
> 1 - light, here and there splatters
> 2 - moderate, a few bugs per foot of wing
> 3 - heavy, lots of bugs per foot of wing
> 4 - very heavy, many bugs per inch of wing
>
> You may also note if you have a bug problem only during short "buggy periods" but I am more intersted in what you feel is a season average for your area.
> Thanks !

Wellington, New Zealand. 0.5.

I can't say I *never* saw a bug on a glider, but it's rare. We wash them because of salt, not bugs.

Based on my motorcycling experience, I'd say the same is probably true anywhere south of Taupo.

ND
January 25th 16, 02:24 PM
On Saturday, January 23, 2016 at 6:10:52 PM UTC-5, Soartech wrote:
> Recently NASA did a study on coatings for wings that was supposed to shed bugs. A Google search for a US map of flying insect density returns nothing useful.
> Please post your experienced Bug density according to the following scale and what state this data is for. I will summarize the results in a map of the US if I get enough data.
>
> 0 - never saw a bug splat on my glider
> 1 - light, here and there splatters
> 2 - moderate, a few bugs per foot of wing
> 3 - heavy, lots of bugs per foot of wing
> 4 - very heavy, many bugs per inch of wing
>
> You may also note if you have a bug problem only during short "buggy periods" but I am more intersted in what you feel is a season average for your area.
> Thanks !

western new york, 2-3
central PA 2-3

January 25th 16, 04:16 PM
On Monday, January 25, 2016 at 9:24:19 AM UTC-5, ND wrote:
> On Saturday, January 23, 2016 at 6:10:52 PM UTC-5, Soartech wrote:
> > Recently NASA did a study on coatings for wings that was supposed to shed bugs. A Google search for a US map of flying insect density returns nothing useful.
> > Please post your experienced Bug density according to the following scale and what state this data is for. I will summarize the results in a map of the US if I get enough data.
> >
> > 0 - never saw a bug splat on my glider
> > 1 - light, here and there splatters
> > 2 - moderate, a few bugs per foot of wing
> > 3 - heavy, lots of bugs per foot of wing
> > 4 - very heavy, many bugs per inch of wing
> >
> > You may also note if you have a bug problem only during short "buggy periods" but I am more intersted in what you feel is a season average for your area.
> > Thanks !
>
> western new york, 2-3
> central PA 2-3

Same with SE NY
UH

January 25th 16, 04:33 PM
On Monday, January 25, 2016 at 11:16:28 AM UTC-5, wrote:
> On Monday, January 25, 2016 at 9:24:19 AM UTC-5, ND wrote:
> > On Saturday, January 23, 2016 at 6:10:52 PM UTC-5, Soartech wrote:
> > > Recently NASA did a study on coatings for wings that was supposed to shed bugs. A Google search for a US map of flying insect density returns nothing useful.
> > > Please post your experienced Bug density according to the following scale and what state this data is for. I will summarize the results in a map of the US if I get enough data.
> > >
> > > 0 - never saw a bug splat on my glider
> > > 1 - light, here and there splatters
> > > 2 - moderate, a few bugs per foot of wing
> > > 3 - heavy, lots of bugs per foot of wing
> > > 4 - very heavy, many bugs per inch of wing
> > >
> > > You may also note if you have a bug problem only during short "buggy periods" but I am more intersted in what you feel is a season average for your area.
> > > Thanks !
> >
> > western new york, 2-3
> > central PA 2-3
>
> Same with SE NY
> UH

And same for NC in the warmer months.

Papa3[_2_]
January 25th 16, 05:51 PM
On Monday, January 25, 2016 at 9:24:19 AM UTC-5, ND wrote:

> western new york, 2-3
> central PA 2-3

Pretty much the same for NJ into SE PA. There are definitely a few days in the Spring and early Summer where we trend toward 4.

P3

ND
January 25th 16, 06:15 PM
On Monday, January 25, 2016 at 12:51:43 PM UTC-5, Papa3 wrote:
> On Monday, January 25, 2016 at 9:24:19 AM UTC-5, ND wrote:
> >
> > western new york, 2-3
> > central PA 2-3
>
> Pretty much the same for NJ into SE PA. There are definitely a few days in the Spring and early Summer where we trend toward 4.
>
> P3

especially when ridge soaring.....

howard banks
January 25th 16, 08:13 PM
Back east, at M-ASA, 3-4. If you didn't wash the wings after flying bug splats turned to concrete.
In the west (Moriarty, Parowan, Nephi) 0-1.
There may be a direct correlation with zip code.

Jonathan St. Cloud
January 25th 16, 08:25 PM
If I read the contest rules correctly bug wipers are not allowed, any idea why? I do not have bug wipers nor have I ever needed them, but I have seen several gliders with the wipers and I know they are popular in Europe.

Andrzej Kobus
January 25th 16, 09:59 PM
On Monday, January 25, 2016 at 3:25:56 PM UTC-5, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:
> If I read the contest rules correctly bug wipers are not allowed, any idea why? I do not have bug wipers nor have I ever needed them, but I have seen several gliders with the wipers and I know they are popular in Europe.

I would suggest you read the rules again.

"6.6.2 An external cleaning device is any device with moving parts designed to clean the exterior of the sailplane during flight, such as bugwipers.
The use of such devices is allowed in all classes Rule 6.12."

Tony[_5_]
January 25th 16, 10:27 PM
On Monday, January 25, 2016 at 3:59:11 PM UTC-6, Andrzej Kobus wrote:
> On Monday, January 25, 2016 at 3:25:56 PM UTC-5, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:
> > If I read the contest rules correctly bug wipers are not allowed, any idea why? I do not have bug wipers nor have I ever needed them, but I have seen several gliders with the wipers and I know they are popular in Europe.
>
> I would suggest you read the rules again.
>
> "6.6.2 An external cleaning device is any device with moving parts designed to clean the exterior of the sailplane during flight, such as bugwipers.
> The use of such devices is allowed in all classes Rule 6.12."

true in FAI classes but not Sports Class. Club class is not an FAI class in the US rules...

Mark628CA
January 26th 16, 12:03 AM
Howard is generally correct in giving a value of 0-1 for Moriarty, although some days in the summer with strong lift, the number can go to 2 or 3.

One day a few years ago, I flew through a plume of smoke from a forest fire (at 17,000 ft. MSL) and when I got out of it after about five minutes, the leading edges were about as black as anything I had ever heard about with bugs! It definitely was a 4 or 5 on your scale. It was the first time I ever changed the "Bug" setting on the PNA, and I am glad I did. Took two beers worth of time to clean off the corpses.

Karl Striedieck[_2_]
January 26th 16, 02:35 AM
Once after a land out and awaiting a tow home I attempted to calculate the number of bugs flying in the Mifflin task area. I admit to a lot of Kentucky windage here, but I estimated the area the wing swept as it flew, took a guess at what percentage of the task area volume that was (lots of zeros here), counted the bugs on the wings and came up with a number of roughly 2 billion.

Those swifts and swallows are up there for a reason.

Wonder if we'll notice any difference as a result of the bat die off?

KS

Blake Seese 3Y
January 26th 16, 02:51 AM
On Saturday, January 23, 2016 at 4:10:52 PM UTC-7, Soartech wrote:
> Recently NASA did a study on coatings for wings that was supposed to shed bugs. A Google search for a US map of flying insect density returns nothing useful.
> Please post your experienced Bug density according to the following scale and what state this data is for. I will summarize the results in a map of the US if I get enough data.
>
> 0 - never saw a bug splat on my glider
> 1 - light, here and there splatters
> 2 - moderate, a few bugs per foot of wing
> 3 - heavy, lots of bugs per foot of wing
> 4 - very heavy, many bugs per inch of wing
>
> You may also note if you have a bug problem only during short "buggy periods" but I am more intersted in what you feel is a season average for your area.
> Thanks !

Jean, NV 0-1
Parowan, 0-1
Tucson 0-1
Turf 0-1
Tonopah 0-1
Nephi 1-2
Cedar Valley 1-2

Paul Villinski
January 26th 16, 02:07 PM
Wonder if we'll notice any difference as a result of the bat die off? !

Karl, from my limited knowledge, the bats are mainly eating moths -- both are nocturnal.

Papa3[_2_]
January 26th 16, 10:02 PM
On Monday, January 25, 2016 at 7:03:17 PM UTC-5, Mark628CA wrote:
Took two beers worth of time to clean off the corpses.

Actually, this may be the more important finding from this study. "Two beers worth of time" is a fairly universal unit of measure in the gliding community. I suspect we could easily use this to calibrate many other post flying activities (disassembly, packing the hangar, putting way the launch line stuff, etc.). "It took us 3 BEUs (beer equivalent units) to stow the winch last night. It was nightmare getting the drogue chute untangled." I like it.

P3

Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)
January 26th 16, 11:09 PM
On Tuesday, January 26, 2016 at 5:02:23 PM UTC-5, Papa3 wrote:
> On Monday, January 25, 2016 at 7:03:17 PM UTC-5, Mark628CA wrote:
> Took two beers worth of time to clean off the corpses.
>
> Actually, this may be the more important finding from this study. "Two beers worth of time" is a fairly universal unit of measure in the gliding community. I suspect we could easily use this to calibrate many other post flying activities (disassembly, packing the hangar, putting way the launch line stuff, etc.). "It took us 3 BEUs (beer equivalent units) to stow the winch last night. It was nightmare getting the drogue chute untangled." I like it.
>
> P3

That's sorta like, "How high were you when you tried to flair today?..... 20 bonser's...".... (or is it "bonzers"?).....

[BEU's..... I like that...]

Mark628CA
January 27th 16, 01:51 AM
"BEU" sounds like a valid time constant, but there are many variables. I consumed three beers this evening in the time it took another pilot to handle only two. Obviously, the BEU needs to be correlated with time- like a 12 A/Hour battery or something like that. Not all circuits (or pilots) draw amps (or beer) at the same rate. I have heard that Mormons, for instance, have a rather low BEU/Hr consumption rate unless you only go camping with one of them.

January 28th 16, 04:12 PM
Don't forget the regional or geographical considerations as well. When I lived in SC in a dry county, the locals only consumed BEU's in the closet and out of site of any spousal units :)

BG[_4_]
January 29th 16, 11:07 AM
Airsailing 1-2
Convergence line Hollister to New Cuyama 2-3
Sierras from Truckee 1

BG

Piet Barber
February 2nd 16, 09:03 PM
Northern Virginia

April to November: 2-3.
November to March 0-1

While on the subject of "Bugs", my SN-10 has a setting for Bugs. Since I have a 2-seater now, the passengers almost always ask me why the flight computer has a setting for bugs.

After looking to the SN-10 manual, I found that it says 0% means no bugs (and I think that's pretty obvious), but I'm not sure what the calibration for bugs should be on the high end. If my wings look black from the crusted guts of smashed bugs, would that be 100% bugs? Would 100% bugs be merely a "fair smattering?" How does one calculate the carnage of bugs as a percentage? Is accurate bug determination for final glide where the art of soaring comes into its element?

The manual actually reads as follows on page 6:
Bugs 0% - The percent degradation of your max L/D is 0% (no bugs or rain).

Matt Herron Jr.
February 2nd 16, 09:20 PM
On Tuesday, February 2, 2016 at 1:03:44 PM UTC-8, Piet Barber wrote:
> Northern Virginia
>
> April to November: 2-3.
> November to March 0-1
>
> While on the subject of "Bugs", my SN-10 has a setting for Bugs. Since I have a 2-seater now, the passengers almost always ask me why the flight computer has a setting for bugs.
>
> After looking to the SN-10 manual, I found that it says 0% means no bugs (and I think that's pretty obvious), but I'm not sure what the calibration for bugs should be on the high end. If my wings look black from the crusted guts of smashed bugs, would that be 100% bugs? Would 100% bugs be merely a "fair smattering?" How does one calculate the carnage of bugs as a percentage? Is accurate bug determination for final glide where the art of soaring comes into its element?
>
> The manual actually reads as follows on page 6:
> Bugs 0% - The percent degradation of your max L/D is 0% (no bugs or rain)..

So 100% degradation of your L/D would be 1/infinity (or maybe division by zero). Your glider would fly as well as a dead bug. BTW, I use bugs to correct my polar from "ideal" to "actual", around 6% bugs for my situation. Using SeeYou, fly in dead air. Adjust bugs until you are not gaining or loosing on your final glide.

firsys
February 3rd 16, 07:05 PM
On Saturday, January 23, 2016 at 6:10:52 PM UTC-5, Soartech wrote:
> Recently NASA did a study on coatings for wings that was supposed to shed bugs. A Google search for a US map of flying insect density returns nothing useful.
> Please post your experienced Bug density according to the following scale and what state this data is for. I will summarize the results in a map of the US if I get enough data.
>
> 0 - never saw a bug splat on my glider
> 1 - light, here and there splatters
> 2 - moderate, a few bugs per foot of wing
> 3 - heavy, lots of bugs per foot of wing
> 4 - very heavy, many bugs per inch of wing
>
> You may also note if you have a bug problem only during short "buggy periods" but I am more intersted in what you feel is a season average for your area.
> Thanks !

2 - moderate, a few bugs per foot of wing

Ottawa ( Ont)

JS
February 3rd 16, 07:41 PM
Southwest mountains and deserts: 1.
In Spring, when more rock polishing is required and some of the ground is green: 2.
Shouldn't the scale have a time factor? IE make the 1 a 10 and divide by the number of hours.
Jim

> On Saturday, January 23, 2016 at 6:10:52 PM UTC-5, Soartech wrote:

> > 0 - never saw a bug splat on my glider
> > 1 - light, here and there splatters
> > 2 - moderate, a few bugs per foot of wing
> > 3 - heavy, lots of bugs per foot of wing
> > 4 - very heavy, many bugs per inch of wing

Google