August 5th 15, 07:50 PM

Ri©ardo
August 5th 15, 08:59 PM
On 8/5/2015 7:50 PM, Byker wrote:

Cosford 2008.

Ri©ardo

--
Moving Things In Still Pictures

Ri©ardo
August 5th 15, 09:15 PM
On 8/5/2015 9:09 PM, Charles Lindbergh wrote:
> On Wed, 5 Aug 2015 20:59:00 +0100, Ri©ardo > wrote:
>
>> On 8/5/2015 7:50 PM, Byker wrote:
>>
>> Cosford 2008.
>>

> Wasn't this puppy considered one of Britain's worst aeronautical engineering disasters?

No worse than many others throughout the world. At least it flew.

--
Moving Things In Still Pictures

Byker
August 5th 15, 10:28 PM
"Ri©ardo" wrote in message

> At least it flew.

A 300 mph takeoff speed and burning up nearly 3/4 of its fuel just to reach
altitude didn't help. Its longest flight was less than an hour.

This is the only flight footage I've been able to find:
http://www.britishpathe.com/video/two-planes-make-news

Still, it made an impression on toy manufacturers:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEcVdwWdIQw

Byker
August 5th 15, 11:16 PM
"Charles Lindbergh" wrote in message

> Wasn't this puppy considered one of Britain's worst aeronautical
> engineering disasters?

In terms of money lost, I can think of

Bristol Brabazon: £12M (1949 costs) – £350M (2012 inflation adjusted cost)

SARO Princess: £10M (1952) for three aircraft
http://www.fzt.haw-hamburg.de/pers/Scholz/dglr/hh/text_2010_06_03_SR_Princess.pdf

R101 Airship: £711,595 (1930)

None of these entered airline service.

In a way, the DeHavilland Comet (1949) was an engineering failure, but it
bounced back from its explosive decompression problems and the Comet 4
series which debuted in 1958 had a productive career of over 30 years.

You also might want to check out:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:British_experimental_aircraft_1950%E2%80% 931959

Ri©ardo
August 6th 15, 10:00 AM
On 8/5/2015 10:28 PM, Byker wrote:
> "Ri©ardo" wrote in message
>>
>> At least it flew.
>
> A 300 mph takeoff speed and burning up nearly 3/4 of its fuel just to reach
> altitude didn't help. Its longest flight was less than an hour.
>
> This is the only flight footage I've been able to find:
> http://www.britishpathe.com/video/two-planes-make-news
>
> Still, it made an impression on toy manufacturers:
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEcVdwWdIQw

Ah, if there's money to be made...

:-)

--