PDA

View Full Version : RV-4 Cracks

guynoir
May 28th 04, 05:20 AM
Here's a picture of the steel longeron fitting that cracked on a
friend's RV-4:

http://home.teleport.com/~guy_noir/images/rv/small_fitting.JPG
(The photo is an RV-3, which is similar).

I don't remember where it cracked, but the two ears connected to the
longeron were completely separated from the forward gusset, leaving the
lower corner engine mount attachments pretty much unconstrained. Not to
worry, though, he believes that they broke within the first 20 hours of
flight, operating from a fairly rough strip (Dietz Airpark in Canby,
OR). He managed to log hundreds of hours over many years before he saw
that his engine mount was cracked during an oil change, and he decided
he needed to do something about it.

His first indication that he had a problem ("...from day one", he said,
"From day one?" I asked, "Really?" "Yes", he said) was that his
landing gear was sagging, which he could see from the gap forming at the
front of the landing gear fairing, and the compression at the back side.
He also noticed a popping noise during taxiing, which he initially
thought was oil canning, but now believes were the broken edges of the
fitting rubbing together. He thinks it's likely that many RV-4's flying
around now have the same problem.

He told me that Van's was aware of the problem, and had re-designed the
lower fittings, but they never told him about it. He showed me the
re-designed fitting. It still looks pretty flimsy, the main difference
is that the two ears which bolt and rivet to the longeron have been
combined into one bent up angle.

So, RV-4 (and RV-3) owners, have you inspected the nether regions of
your firewall recently? Is this problem well known in the RV community?
Does it apply to -6 and later models? Has anyone gotten a service
bulletin from Van's on this matter?

Thanks,
--
John Kimmel

I think it will be quiet around here now. So long.

Kyle Boatright
May 28th 04, 12:00 PM
The -6 has more or less the same steel firewall attach fittings, and I have
never heard of breakage as a problem in normal use (or even abnormal use).

KB - RV6 builder/flyer

"guynoir" > wrote in message
> Here's a picture of the steel longeron fitting that cracked on a
> friend's RV-4:
>
> http://home.teleport.com/~guy_noir/images/rv/small_fitting.JPG
> (The photo is an RV-3, which is similar).
>
> I don't remember where it cracked, but the two ears connected to the
> longeron were completely separated from the forward gusset, leaving the
> lower corner engine mount attachments pretty much unconstrained. Not to
> worry, though, he believes that they broke within the first 20 hours of
> flight, operating from a fairly rough strip (Dietz Airpark in Canby,
> OR). He managed to log hundreds of hours over many years before he saw
> that his engine mount was cracked during an oil change, and he decided
> he needed to do something about it.
>
> His first indication that he had a problem ("...from day one", he said,
> "From day one?" I asked, "Really?" "Yes", he said) was that his
> landing gear was sagging, which he could see from the gap forming at the
> front of the landing gear fairing, and the compression at the back side.
> He also noticed a popping noise during taxiing, which he initially
> thought was oil canning, but now believes were the broken edges of the
> fitting rubbing together. He thinks it's likely that many RV-4's flying
> around now have the same problem.
>
> He told me that Van's was aware of the problem, and had re-designed the
> lower fittings, but they never told him about it. He showed me the
> re-designed fitting. It still looks pretty flimsy, the main difference
> is that the two ears which bolt and rivet to the longeron have been
> combined into one bent up angle.
>
> So, RV-4 (and RV-3) owners, have you inspected the nether regions of
> your firewall recently? Is this problem well known in the RV community?
> Does it apply to -6 and later models? Has anyone gotten a service
> bulletin from Van's on this matter?
>
> Thanks,
> --
> John Kimmel
>

> I think it will be quiet around here now. So long.

Jerry Springer
May 28th 04, 12:34 PM
guynoir wrote:
> Here's a picture of the steel longeron fitting that cracked on a
> friend's RV-4:
>
> http://home.teleport.com/~guy_noir/images/rv/small_fitting.JPG
> (The photo is an RV-3, which is similar).
>
> I don't remember where it cracked, but the two ears connected to the
> longeron were completely separated from the forward gusset, leaving the
> lower corner engine mount attachments pretty much unconstrained. Not to
> worry, though, he believes that they broke within the first 20 hours of
> flight, operating from a fairly rough strip (Dietz Airpark in Canby,
> OR). He managed to log hundreds of hours over many years before he saw
> that his engine mount was cracked during an oil change, and he decided
> he needed to do something about it.
>
> His first indication that he had a problem ("...from day one", he said,
> "From day one?" I asked, "Really?" "Yes", he said) was that his
> landing gear was sagging, which he could see from the gap forming at the
> front of the landing gear fairing, and the compression at the back side.
> He also noticed a popping noise during taxiing, which he initially
> thought was oil canning, but now believes were the broken edges of the
> fitting rubbing together. He thinks it's likely that many RV-4's flying
> around now have the same problem.
>
> He told me that Van's was aware of the problem, and had re-designed the
> lower fittings, but they never told him about it. He showed me the
> re-designed fitting. It still looks pretty flimsy, the main difference
> is that the two ears which bolt and rivet to the longeron have been
> combined into one bent up angle.
>
> So, RV-4 (and RV-3) owners, have you inspected the nether regions of
> your firewall recently? Is this problem well known in the RV community?
> Does it apply to -6 and later models? Has anyone gotten a service
> bulletin from Van's on this matter?
>
> Thanks,
This has been known about the early RV-4s for years, if your friend does not
know about it then he probably does not get around much. Did he build the
airplane? There has been a redesigned part out for many years and most people
with the old one have replaced it if they are flying out of rough grass strips.
This does not effect later RV-4s or any of the RV-6s.
YOu said it still looks flimsy, along with the bent angle as you described it
also is heavier metal.

Jerry

guynoir
May 29th 04, 07:29 AM
He built it himself. It was his second project, after a Pitts Special.

I think he's too busy to get around much, I doubt if he's on the
Internet, or even owns a computer.

His fourth airplane project is featured in "Sport Aviation", March 2003,
Page 52. Or you can see it here:

http://www.rolls-royce.com/media/showPR.jsp?PR_ID=40001

--
John Kimmel

I think it will be quiet around here now. So long.

Google