PDA

View Full Version : Re: Cambridge GPSNAV20 photo-sector display

Pat Russell
July 9th 03, 09:19 PM
On 8 Jul 2003 13:46:44 -0700, (Doug Jacobs)
wrote:

> Very complicated, quite
>unsafe in competition if anyone else may be turning with you since
>this is largely a heads down manoever.

But it is never used in competition!

John Galloway
July 9th 03, 11:11 PM
The simplest way I found to get into the FAI sector
with a GPS Nav was to figure out in advance roughly
what direction the outbound bisector was in then fly
right to the TP and just turn on to the approximate
bisector for a few seconds. There is scope for 44
degrees error either way so it is non critical and
I never worked out the bearings of the bisector - I
just had a rough notion of what relative angle to turn
from the inbound track. That never failed me and I
notice that my in-sector distances/times are little
different now with a 302 and moving map from what they
were with the GPS Nav alone.

Its no good if there is some soaring factor that requires
you to just nick the edge of the zone away from the
TP.

John Galloway

Stewart Kissel
July 9th 03, 11:49 PM
I appreciate the input...Now for a comment/critique from the soap-box. A=
ssuming most badge flights are done by "relative" newbies, and assume mos=
t newbies don't want or need the latest and greatest in loggers....I woul=
d think a GPSNAV system would be a good choice. But after reading/reread=
ing/rerereading the manuals and online help...I don't seem to find one wo=
rd mentioned on how to use it going into FAI photo-sectors. And for thos=
e chasing records I assume the same applies, and yes I am getting IPAQ de=
vice.

Google