PDA

View Full Version : Re: e-Soaring

Al
July 12th 03, 06:42 PM
you might find this user poll on glider forum of interest.

http://www.gliderforum.com/thread-view.asp?threadid=431&posts=15

Al

"Eric Greenwell" > wrote in message
.. .
> In article >,
> says...
> > Excellent idea from Mark Hawkins, to publish Soaring
> > over the website [as an option]. But let's keep the
> > full picture quality. Knowing the downloads are long
> > is not a big problem. The savings to SSA in mailing
> > costs alone would be significant, and we could get
> > the magazine without the delivery vagaries of the Post
> > Office.
>
> More and more people have high speed Internet access without tieing up
> their phone line, so I'd vote for the full quality, too. I'd probably
> prefer the printed magazine, but would also want a searchable CD for
> each year, and especially an index on one CE that spanned all the
> years. If it cost much extra to get the printed copy (say, $25+ a
> year), I might opt out of the printed copy.
> --
> !Replace DECIMAL.POINT in my e-mail address with just a . to reply
> directly
>
> Eric Greenwell
> Richland, WA (USA)

Al
July 13th 03, 01:50 AM
Its better than no numbers which is what you currently have!!

why not register and vote yourself

Al

"Thomas F. Dixon" > wrote in message
m...
> Al:
>
> I don't think that 41 responses in any way represents with any
> statisticle reliability the feelings of the multiple thousands of SSA
> members.
>
> Tom Dixon
> Idaho
>

> Al" > wrote in message
> > you might find this user poll on glider forum of interest.
> >
> > http://www.gliderforum.com/thread-view.asp?threadid=431&posts=15
> >
> > Al

Ivan Kahn
July 13th 03, 01:12 PM
In fairness, asking people who are computer savvy if they want to avail
themselves of technology is kind of a loaded questions and fails to factor
in all those who do not use a computer. It is none the less interesting to
note that what the poll does seem to show is that 95% (so far) still want
the magazine either by itself or with a CD. So this would certainly not be a
cost savings venture for SSA.

Statistically reliable - no. But one always has to start somewhere!

Ivan

"Al" > wrote in message
> Its better than no numbers which is what you currently have!!
>
> why not register and vote yourself
>
> Al
>
> "Thomas F. Dixon" > wrote in message
> m...
> > Al:
> >
> > I don't think that 41 responses in any way represents with any
> > statisticle reliability the feelings of the multiple thousands of SSA
> > members.
> >
> > Tom Dixon
> > Idaho
> >

> > Al" > wrote in message
> > > you might find this user poll on glider forum of interest.
> > >
> > > http://www.gliderforum.com/thread-view.asp?threadid=431&posts=15
> > >
> > > Al

Bob Johnson
July 13th 03, 04:51 PM
A significant number (2) soaring pilots of my acquaintance don't have
'puters, and probably never will. And of those of us here that have
masheens, a significant number (2) don't have fast connections, and
probably never will.

For my money ($64, I'm a Life Member, but let's not go there) a mag in
the crapper is worth two (at least) on the screen.

Except in Al's crapper, which I can easily imagine is Wired.

Then factor in the Racers, the Area Bashers, the World Guys, the 1-26
Guys, the Non-RAS Guys, plus the rest of us, and you've got yourself a
very diverse audience, a significant number (2) of whom aren't listening
anyway (and probably never will).

So go do it!

Best regards and stay positive,

Bob Johnson

Ian Cant wrote:

> Excellent idea from Mark Hawkins, to publish Soaring
> over the website [as an option]. But let's keep the
> full picture quality. Knowing the downloads are long
> is not a big problem. The savings to SSA in mailing
> costs alone would be significant, and we could get
> the magazine without the delivery vagaries of the Post
> Office.

Al
July 14th 03, 09:48 AM

> Except in Al's crapper, which I can easily imagine is Wired.
> -
Wireless ;-)

Gotta love 802.11B

Al