PDA

View Full Version : iPaq screen viewability

Raphael Warshaw
July 14th 03, 08:33 PM
"Eric" > wrote in message
m...
> Yesterday was my first flight with my new iPaq 3955 with WinPilot --
> the screen viewability was not what I'd hoped.
>
> At first, I positioned the iPaq on the instrument panel, near vertical
> but tilting up slightly to directly face me. But, with the sun
> directly overhead, I could hardly see the display. Glare wasn't the
> problem, the display just seemed dark (like looking at an LCD off
> angle). Note that I'm powering the iPaq externally with its backlight
> set to maximum.
>
> Later, I pulled the iPaq down and put it on my leg, near horizontal
> but tilting up slightly so and looking at the display at somewhat less
> than a straight on, 90 degree angle. With the sun shining down on the
> screen, it was MUCH better, almost as if the sun's light and the
> screen's reflectivity were working together.
>
> Still, I'd rather have the iPaq attached to the instrument panel
> rather than another thing attached to my body in the cockpit (O2,
> water tube, etc.). Any ideas?

Raphael Warshaw
July 14th 03, 08:37 PM
I've got mine mounted to the cockpit rail with a ball-joint mount. This
places the screen just under my right hand at a good viewing angle. The
downside is that I have to remove the cradle to get in or out without
turning the cradle on it's mount, which destroys the ball after a few
entries/exits. It poses no impedement to rapid egress, just tears up the
ball & socket.

Ray Warshaw

"Eric" > wrote in message
m...
> Yesterday was my first flight with my new iPaq 3955 with WinPilot --
> the screen viewability was not what I'd hoped.
>
> At first, I positioned the iPaq on the instrument panel, near vertical
> but tilting up slightly to directly face me. But, with the sun
> directly overhead, I could hardly see the display. Glare wasn't the
> problem, the display just seemed dark (like looking at an LCD off
> angle). Note that I'm powering the iPaq externally with its backlight
> set to maximum.
>
> Later, I pulled the iPaq down and put it on my leg, near horizontal
> but tilting up slightly so and looking at the display at somewhat less
> than a straight on, 90 degree angle. With the sun shining down on the
> screen, it was MUCH better, almost as if the sun's light and the
> screen's reflectivity were working together.
>
> Still, I'd rather have the iPaq attached to the instrument panel
> rather than another thing attached to my body in the cockpit (O2,
> water tube, etc.). Any ideas?

Eric
July 14th 03, 08:39 PM
[...]

Ian Fevrier
July 15th 03, 06:13 AM
In addition to mounting the IPAQ about mid distance along the canopy rail,
I find that using the plain white background instead of the terrain map
really helps.

"Raphael Warshaw" > wrote in message >...
> "Eric" > wrote in message
> m...
> > Yesterday was my first flight with my new iPaq 3955 with WinPilot --
> > the screen viewability was not what I'd hoped.
> >
> > At first, I positioned the iPaq on the instrument panel, near vertical
> > but tilting up slightly to directly face me. But, with the sun
> > directly overhead, I could hardly see the display. Glare wasn't the
> > problem, the display just seemed dark (like looking at an LCD off
> > angle). Note that I'm powering the iPaq externally with its backlight
> > set to maximum.
> >
> > Later, I pulled the iPaq down and put it on my leg, near horizontal
> > but tilting up slightly so and looking at the display at somewhat less
> > than a straight on, 90 degree angle. With the sun shining down on the
> > screen, it was MUCH better, almost as if the sun's light and the
> > screen's reflectivity were working together.
> >
> > Still, I'd rather have the iPaq attached to the instrument panel
> > rather than another thing attached to my body in the cockpit (O2,
> > water tube, etc.). Any ideas?

ch
July 15th 03, 07:44 AM
I use a very good product for my iPaq3970 in my glider
You can see the product on the web page
http://shop.brando.com.hk/screenprotector.php

in Australia it is sold through
Mr. Simon

I have no reflections at all anymore and screen visibility
is good also watching slightly from the side.
Chris

"Eric" > wrote in message
m...
> Yesterday was my first flight with my new iPaq 3955 with WinPilot --
> the screen viewability was not what I'd hoped.
>
> At first, I positioned the iPaq on the instrument panel, near vertical
> but tilting up slightly to directly face me. But, with the sun
> directly overhead, I could hardly see the display. Glare wasn't the
> problem, the display just seemed dark (like looking at an LCD off
> angle). Note that I'm powering the iPaq externally with its backlight
> set to maximum.
>
> Later, I pulled the iPaq down and put it on my leg, near horizontal
> but tilting up slightly so and looking at the display at somewhat less
> than a straight on, 90 degree angle. With the sun shining down on the
> screen, it was MUCH better, almost as if the sun's light and the
> screen's reflectivity were working together.
>
> Still, I'd rather have the iPaq attached to the instrument panel
> rather than another thing attached to my body in the cockpit (O2,
> water tube, etc.). Any ideas?

rhpf
July 15th 03, 03:35 PM
For a similar product ClearTouch in the US see the link on the bottom of
Craggy Aero's Homepage. www.craggyaero.com. I have tried these protectors
and the screen visibility is significantly better.

Richard
www.craggyaero.com

"ch" > wrote in message
> I use a very good product for my iPaq3970 in my glider
> You can see the product on the web page
> http://shop.brando.com.hk/screenprotector.php
>

> in Australia it is sold through
> Mr. Simon
>
> I have no reflections at all anymore and screen visibility
> is good also watching slightly from the side.
> Chris
>

> "Eric" > wrote in message
> m...
> > Yesterday was my first flight with my new iPaq 3955 with WinPilot --
> > the screen viewability was not what I'd hoped.
> >
> > At first, I positioned the iPaq on the instrument panel, near vertical
> > but tilting up slightly to directly face me. But, with the sun
> > directly overhead, I could hardly see the display. Glare wasn't the
> > problem, the display just seemed dark (like looking at an LCD off
> > angle). Note that I'm powering the iPaq externally with its backlight
> > set to maximum.
> >
> > Later, I pulled the iPaq down and put it on my leg, near horizontal
> > but tilting up slightly so and looking at the display at somewhat less
> > than a straight on, 90 degree angle. With the sun shining down on the
> > screen, it was MUCH better, almost as if the sun's light and the
> > screen's reflectivity were working together.
> >
> > Still, I'd rather have the iPaq attached to the instrument panel
> > rather than another thing attached to my body in the cockpit (O2,
> > water tube, etc.). Any ideas?

rhpf
July 16th 03, 04:22 PM
Today when I turned on my Ipaq the screen was really dark, after fusting
around for several minutes I found on the Start - Settings - System -
Backlight - Brightness page (the automatic box was checked) I unchecked and
the screen brightened up.

Richard

www.craggyaero.com

"Eric" > wrote in message
m...
> Yesterday was my first flight with my new iPaq 3955 with WinPilot --
> the screen viewability was not what I'd hoped.
>
> At first, I positioned the iPaq on the instrument panel, near vertical
> but tilting up slightly to directly face me. But, with the sun
> directly overhead, I could hardly see the display. Glare wasn't the
> problem, the display just seemed dark (like looking at an LCD off
> angle). Note that I'm powering the iPaq externally with its backlight
> set to maximum.
>
> Later, I pulled the iPaq down and put it on my leg, near horizontal
> but tilting up slightly so and looking at the display at somewhat less
> than a straight on, 90 degree angle. With the sun shining down on the
> screen, it was MUCH better, almost as if the sun's light and the
> screen's reflectivity were working together.
>
> Still, I'd rather have the iPaq attached to the instrument panel
> rather than another thing attached to my body in the cockpit (O2,
> water tube, etc.). Any ideas?

JohnD
July 27th 03, 06:02 PM
I also had problems seeing my Ipaq and had to keep it on my lap much
of the time. The ClearTouch worked great (Thanks Richard@CraggyAero)
along with removing the terrrain from the display, I can SEE the
terrain outside the cockpit & don't need it on Winpilot. One point
however, with terrain off it seems the AGL altitude in the NAV BOX no
longer works.

But I have to say I could not believe the $12.95 package only included
ONE screen saver. What are these things made of?

Thanks for the sloutions, they solved the problem.

Go

"Jim Kelly" > wrote in message >...
> Hi Richard,
>
> Same page . . every now and again . . I have seen those sliders right
> on the bottom, hence no backlight! Worth remembering.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Jim Kelly.
>

> "rhpf" > wrote in message
> | Today when I turned on my Ipaq the screen was really dark, after
> fusting
> | around for several minutes I found on the Start - Settings -
> System -
> | Backlight - Brightness page (the automatic box was checked) I
> unchecked and
> | the screen brightened up.
> |
> | Richard
> |
> | www.craggyaero.com
> |
> | "Eric" > wrote in message
> | m...
> | > Yesterday was my first flight with my new iPaq 3955 with
> WinPilot --
> | > the screen viewability was not what I'd hoped.
> | >
> | > At first, I positioned the iPaq on the instrument panel, near
> vertical
> | > but tilting up slightly to directly face me. But, with the sun
> | > directly overhead, I could hardly see the display. Glare wasn't
> the
> | > problem, the display just seemed dark (like looking at an LCD off
> | > angle). Note that I'm powering the iPaq externally with its
> backlight
> | > set to maximum.
> | >
> | > Later, I pulled the iPaq down and put it on my leg, near
> horizontal
> | > but tilting up slightly so and looking at the display at somewhat
> less
> | > than a straight on, 90 degree angle. With the sun shining down on
> the
> | > screen, it was MUCH better, almost as if the sun's light and the
> | > screen's reflectivity were working together.
> | >
> | > Still, I'd rather have the iPaq attached to the instrument panel
> | > rather than another thing attached to my body in the cockpit (O2,
> | > water tube, etc.). Any ideas?

Google