PDA

View Full Version : Re: Garmin 196 simulator mode

Dennis O'Connor
July 22nd 03, 01:07 PM
'Tis in the manual...

Denny

"Martin Hellman" > wrote in message
om...
> I recently got a Garmin 196 and was having trouble figuring out how to
> get it in "flying" simulator mode, that is you appear to be moving,
> not at rest (which is easy). I even did a search on the on-line
> version of the user manual on all occurrences of "simulat" and none of
> the references to simulator or simulate said how to do it. Though it
> did say you should practice simulating flights before taking it in the
> cockpit! Well, Garmin tech support told me how to do it and here is
> the answer. (I also did a google search and nothing turned up on the
> subject, so I hope this is new info.)
>
> "After the unit is in the simulator mode, press the page button until
> you get
> the nav screen which is the screen right after the map. Press the up
> arrow
> key to adjust the speed."
>
> Hope this helps others.
>
> Martin

Jack McAdams
July 22nd 03, 06:54 PM
There is probably a more direct route but.....

Turn the GPS on with the antenna disconnected. It will search for
satellites for awhile then ask you to continue, chnage location, or go
to simulator mode.

The GPS is in the plane and I'm in the office (darn it!). That's the
best I can do from memory.

-Jack

(Martin Hellman) wrote in message >...
> I recently got a Garmin 196 and was having trouble figuring out how to
> get it in "flying" simulator mode, that is you appear to be moving,
> not at rest (which is easy). I even did a search on the on-line
> version of the user manual on all occurrences of "simulat" and none of
> the references to simulator or simulate said how to do it. Though it
> did say you should practice simulating flights before taking it in the
> cockpit! Well, Garmin tech support told me how to do it and here is
> the answer. (I also did a google search and nothing turned up on the
> subject, so I hope this is new info.)
>
> "After the unit is in the simulator mode, press the page button until
> you get
> the nav screen which is the screen right after the map. Press the up
> arrow
> key to adjust the speed."
>
> Hope this helps others.
>
> Martin