PDA

View Full Version : g force question

pilot in training
August 2nd 03, 05:00 AM
just curious as to how many positive and how many negative g's you
feel in an average competition areobatics preformance.

Aardvarks
August 2nd 03, 05:53 AM
pilot in training wrote:

> just curious as to how many positive and how many negative g's you
> feel in an average competition areobatics preformance.
I just saw a show on the Wings channel ...
In an Extra 300
The female pilot said she does
9+ and 6-
at Oshkosh.

Brian Moffet
August 4th 03, 04:11 PM
That;s probably PattyWagstaff. What she does is a bit out of the ordinary
for competition aerobatics.

I would be surprised if someone pulls more than 4.5 Gs positive and -3
negative for advanced competition, much less for Basic/Primary. I've only
flown basic and sportsman, and there I was pretty much only doing +3 Gs,
and -1 negative (upside down.)

Brian

. ..

--
Brian D. Moffet -- http://www.moffetimages.com
Photography, Computer/Security Consulting.

Wayne
August 4th 03, 05:57 PM
Get suprised. We do not compete and we still hit +6 G's. I prefer not to
get much negitive though, only around 2G's. We exceed 4.5 in simple steep
turns.
Wayne

> I would be surprised if someone pulls more than 4.5 Gs positive and -3
> negative for advanced competition, much less for Basic/Primary. I've only
> flown basic and sportsman, and there I was pretty much only doing +3 Gs,
> and -1 negative (upside down.)
>
> Brian

Aardvarks
August 4th 03, 06:48 PM

Brian Moffet wrote:
> That;s probably PattyWagstaff. What she does is a bit out of the
ordinary
> for competition aerobatics.

After a bit of research I found out who it was.

"Northern Lights Aerobatics Team"

"Michele Thonney, 31, of Lausanne, Switzerland, the only woman flying in
a civilian aerobatic team."

A quote from a Northern Lights Aerobatics Team member
===========
Mario and his colleagues pull as much as 9.5 G's during the show. As
far as negative G's, or the stomach-churning sensation of feeling
yourself falling toward earth fast, tolerances are more limited. "In the
show we go between minus 4 and minus 5,' Mario explains. "By minus 5 it
hurts. I've never gone to minus ten and I don't intend to."
===========

WW

B. Jensen
August 5th 03, 01:59 PM
Brian,

Brian Moffet wrote:

>I would be surprised if someone pulls more than 4.5 Gs positive and -3
>negative for advanced competition, much less for Basic/Primary. I've only
>flown basic and sportsman, and there I was pretty much only doing +3 Gs,
>and -1 negative (upside down.)
>
>Brian

Just doing the Sportsman sequence, my G meter shows +6 / -1 when I'm
through.

BJ

Peter Ashwood-Smith C-GZRO
August 10th 03, 01:59 AM
Another data point. I fly intermediate in a Pitts S-1T and I pull 6G's
on just about every pull. Negative G's are rather light in
Intermediate because the worst we get is an inverted turn of about
-3Gs or so.

Higher G's are not so much of a problem because the duration is
shorter.
The real question is what is the "G * seconds" that you are
experiencing. 2 G's
for a minute will knock you out just as readily as 10g's for a second
or so.

Anyway, you just get used to it with time and practice ... its quite
remarkable how a normal person can acclimatise to it.

Peter

> Advanced pilots routinely get +6 to +8 and -4 to -6 (depending on how
> aggressive they fly. I usually have +7 and -5. When I flew Unlimited in my
> S-2A I actually had less since pulling to many g's bleeds off too much energy,
> and you need every bit of energy to get through an Unlimited sequence in an
> -A.
>
> Guenther

> Guenther Eichhorn |
> Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory, Cambridge, MA
> CPL,ASMELS,Glider,LBH,IA,CFI | Pitts S-2A: N1GE
> DC-3 type rating | Flying is the Pitts
> See: http://acro.harvard.edu/ACRO
>

> In article >,
> "Brian Moffet" > writes:
> >That;s probably PattyWagstaff. What she does is a bit out of the ordinary
> >for competition aerobatics.
> >
> >I would be surprised if someone pulls more than 4.5 Gs positive and -3
> >negative for advanced competition, much less for Basic/Primary. I've only
> >flown basic and sportsman, and there I was pretty much only doing +3 Gs,
> >and -1 negative (upside down.)
> >
> >Brian
> >
> >"Aardvarks" > wrote in message
> . ..

> >> I just saw a show on the Wings channel ...
> >> In an Extra 300
> >> The female pilot said she does
> >> 9+ and 6-
> >> at Oshkosh.
> >>

> >--
> >Brian D. Moffet -- http://www.moffetimages.com
> >Photography, Computer/Security Consulting.

Google