PDA

View Full Version : 235 Maule for towing

Jim Harper
July 28th 03, 05:05 PM
Hi.

For reasons unrelated to soaring, I am in the market for a Maule,
M(x)-235 (where x= 4,5,6,or 7). I am fairly active in my local club
and we occasionally find ourselves short a tow plane.

There is an STC'd tow hook for the thing, so I wanna know: Anyone ever
tow with or behind a Maule 235? I should think it would be a good to
excellent towplane, but I would love to hear your experiences!

Thanks!

Jim

Maule Driver
July 28th 03, 07:23 PM
I've towed behind a 235 in Montana. Hot and high (4,660 ft), the Maule did
a fine job towing fully ballasted ships aloft. It seemed on par with a
collection of 182s, Pawnees, etc.

I fly but don't tow with a MX180a. I suspect that it would make a good
towplane in eastern hot and low conditions with typical club flying.

Consider what kind of flying you'll be doing and check the numbers
(especially weights) of the various powerplant/airframe combinations. The
235 may or may not be the right vibrator.

"Jim Harper" > wrote in message
om...
> Hi.
>
> For reasons unrelated to soaring, I am in the market for a Maule,
> M(x)-235 (where x= 4,5,6,or 7). I am fairly active in my local club
> and we occasionally find ourselves short a tow plane.
>
> There is an STC'd tow hook for the thing, so I wanna know: Anyone ever
> tow with or behind a Maule 235? I should think it would be a good to
> excellent towplane, but I would love to hear your experiences!
>
> Thanks!
>
> Jim

Hank Nixon
July 28th 03, 10:25 PM
(Jim Harper) wrote in message >...
> Hi.
>
> For reasons unrelated to soaring, I am in the market for a Maule,
> M(x)-235 (where x= 4,5,6,or 7). I am fairly active in my local club
> and we occasionally find ourselves short a tow plane.
>
> There is an STC'd tow hook for the thing, so I wanna know: Anyone ever
> tow with or behind a Maule 235? I should think it would be a good to
> excellent towplane, but I would love to hear your experiences!
>
> Thanks!
>
> Jim

Have towed behind Maule 235. Goes up fine. A bit fast for some club type gliders.
Visibility is not what you would want if you were to tow all day every day.
Good for occasional towing and or backup.
UH

Skip Guimond
July 29th 03, 02:14 PM
The Civil Air Patrol purchased 15 tricycle gear Maule 235s for towing
and search and rescue. I have both towed and been towed by this
aircraft with excellent results in both club ships and the CAP's
Blanik L-23. Visibility in the CAP's Maule is good, but they have the
observation options including glass doors and overhead panels.
Mirrors are mounted inside below the observation panels.

CAP did have a mod added for additional cooling--and even then the oil
temp gauge shows very high readings. Adding a an accurate digital oil
and CHT gauge, however, shows the factory installed analog gauges to
be reading far higher than actual temperatures. I would prefer the
conventional gear Maule for towing--but the Tri gear works well on a
grass field as well. Might note that this is all in the east--but at
temperatures up to the mid 90s.

Good luck--

Deputy Dog
July 29th 03, 10:32 PM
I tow with one of the CAP 235 Maules. It does a good job pulling a
gross weight L-23. At 75mph with one notch of flaps on 1500 to 2000
density altitude day you will see climb rates of 600 to 700ft/min.
with full power. Digital oil temps hover around 195 to 200 degrees
and cylinder head temps. run in the 1300 to 1400 degree range so no
cooling problems with the added cooling skirt.

Negatives: Crummy visibility over the nose at 75mph with one notch of
flaps. Worse with no flaps and comfortable speeds are too high
without flaps (Vy=90mph) . Visibility elsewhere is great with the
observation windows/doors/greenhouse.

LOW useful load. With me and full tanks (including aux's) I can carry
148 additional pounds. Needless to say we keep the aux's empty.
Figure 13.5 to 14 gph.

No arm rest and it is a control wheel instead of stick. Shoulders get
tired.

Low flap operating range, so you have to dump the flaps before
starting down and the flap operating handle sucks! Difficult to
disengage lock and easy to break.

CAP ones have Tost hook which I feel is much safer if someone "kites"

Door latches and window latches are cheesy to say the least.

All in all, not a bad airplane, especially for a occassional tow, but
I sure like the Pawnee better if you are going to do many tows.

-Deputy Dog

Caracole
July 30th 03, 07:43 AM
We have had reason for contests or safaris to use two different
Maule models for a supplemental tug over the years.

High experience towpilot and taildragger drivers.
Pawnees, 180s, Cubs.

His comments were that the M-5 taildragger actually handled the
transition to landings nicer than the M-7. The roll authority
coupled with flap interactions were not as nice in hot, gusty days
in the M-7.
Otherwise, the other fellows gave you a lot more data.

Cindy B
www.caracolesoaring.com

(Deputy Dog) wrote in message >...
> I tow with one of the CAP 235 Maules. It does a good job pulling a
> gross weight L-23.

> Door latches and window latches are cheesy to say the least.
>
> All in all, not a bad airplane, especially for a occassional tow, but
> I sure like the Pawnee better if you are going to do many tows.
>
> -Deputy Dog

Google