PDA

View Full Version : How do you stop SPAM

Mark Busse
July 31st 03, 03:07 PM
How do you put thoes "DELETE_THIS_TO_REPLY" lines in your address? I
went to the change address screen for my account, but I see my last
post has my un-edited address.

tango4
August 1st 03, 06:40 AM
How do you stop SPAM?

Disconnect from the internet

Ian

iPilot
August 1st 03, 08:16 AM
I use Cloudmark's Spamnet. Works. 99,9% clean.

Regards,
Kaido

"tango4" > wrote in message ...
> How do you stop SPAM?
>
> Disconnect from the internet
>
> Ian

Marc Till
August 1st 03, 08:32 AM
Looks like you posted through Google (which I do not and don't know how
to do that)

Basicly, when posting on a newsgroup, you have two addresses on which
you should have control :

One is the "FROM" address, which is the one that gets retrieved by
spammers and therefore shoud be modified. Rather than adding text in the
real address, you should make it look like an address on the spammer's
local server :
] (see my "FROM" address as an example)
This will cause the spammer's mail server to return a "non-existing
user" message.

The other one is the "REPLY TO" address, which is said to be safer, in
which you can leave your real address, so that people can join you.

If you use both addresses, people willing to reply will use the real
one, whereas spammers will hopefully use the modified one.

Hope this helps

Marc Till

Mark Busse a écrit:
> How do you put thoes "DELETE_THIS_TO_REPLY" lines in your address? I
> went to the change address screen for my account, but I see my last
> post has my un-edited address.

F.L. Whiteley
August 1st 03, 05:40 PM
"Mark Busse" > wrote in message
om...
> How do you put thoes "DELETE_THIS_TO_REPLY" lines in your address? I
> went to the change address screen for my account, but I see my last
> post has my un-edited address.

Not sure you can post through Google with a spoofed e-mail as you must
create a Google account with a legitimate e-mail initially I think.

Does netzero.net have NNTP servers? Probably not, at least I couldn't
resolve one. A news posting client with an ISP that hosts NNTP and you
could spoof the right hand side of the equation, but it may cost a bit more.
Don't confuse full access ISPs with discount or content providers, they are
vastly different.

I also use www.mailarmory.com, another solution is www.postini.com, AFAIK
both require your ISP to subscribe. I can assure you, with some user
attention, mailarmory.com does as it claims and there's nothing to install
on the client box, also bandwidth is not wasted (important in this area
where rural dial-ups rip along at 26,400bps max and wireless is only just
becoming more than an idea).

Frank Whiteley

ken ward
August 1st 03, 11:07 PM
step 1: adopt new email protocols which will refuse to forward any
outgoing email with a fake return address. we need to prevent spam from
getting out onto the network, not just prevent it from being delivered
to our own mailboxes (which is about all we can attempt to do right
now).

Ken

Google