PDA

View Full Version : FAA publication Glider Flying Handbook

Jim Phoenix
July 31st 03, 04:55 PM
I just received a copy of the FAA publication titled "Glider Flying
Handbook" - publication number FAA-H-8083-13. Updated in 2003. Appears
to have some very current photographs and illustrations, but I haven't
read it yet.

I'm surprised to see things such as the Cambridge flight computer
described in detail, as well as descriptions of water ballast, use of
Skew-T soundings and a planform view of a 2-33 adjacent to a Nimbus
4DM! Very up-to-date!

I wonder who in the soaring community assisted with this publication -
kudos to them.

I got my copy free from my FAA PMI - he said their office received 10
copies and they don't really know what to do with them - call your
local FSDO and see if they have the same problem.

Jim

rjciii
August 1st 03, 03:49 PM
Anything in this FAA publication that we can use against the
FAA/Airport in our fight for equal access and reasonable operating
terms, such as:

-safety statistics
-glider operations(general)to include rigging, staging & ground
movement
-glider operations in a mixed aviation activity uncontrolled
environment
-glider tow operations across intersecting runways
-glider landing patterns
-inflight right of way

This request is extremely time sensitive (as in tomorrow AM--Sat, 2
Aug).

Please give specific references.

I may be contacted directly at:

SSA members may look up my phone number.

Thanks,

Ray Cornay

John H. Campbell
August 2nd 03, 05:40 AM
Rich Carr wrote in message ...
>Rolf Hertenstein did most if not all of the weather info. I think he
>also contributed to the training info.

Rolf says that other contributors include well-known CFI-Gs from
Minneapolis, Dallas, and Elmira, though not acknowledged by name in the
finished product.

Jim Phoenix
August 2nd 03, 10:29 PM
I don't see the book listed on the SSA, Knauff&Grove or bobwander.com sites
yet. Hopefully they will pick up the title so you don't have to go through
the GPO process.

Jim

"John H. Campbell" > wrote in message
> Rich Carr wrote in message ...
> >Rolf Hertenstein did most if not all of the weather info. I think he
> >also contributed to the training info.
>

> Rolf says that other contributors include well-known CFI-Gs from
> Minneapolis, Dallas, and Elmira, though not acknowledged by name in the
> finished product.

SoarBooks
August 4th 03, 09:43 PM
Note from Bob Wander:
I have the brand-new FAA Gliding Handbook in stock, and the price is $34.00
plus shipping. Haven't had time to update my website yet (www.bobwander.com)
but an email to me will suffice as an order from and I will ship (in the USA)
immediately.

Please do NOT include any credit card numbers. Just name, mailing address,
email address, and phone, and I will ship the book direct and invoice you.

Thanks all and safe soaring,
Bob Wander
Soaring Books & Supplies
Minneapolis MN USA

PS: It was, in fact, interesting and fun to be a writer and editor on this
project.

SoarBooks
August 11th 03, 03:58 PM
Hi Folks,
The new publication
FAA Glider Flying Handbook (FAA-H-8083-13)
can now be seen and at my website www.bobwander.com.
You can view the entire table of contents and order a copy if you like!

Thanks and safe soaring,
Bob Wander
website: www.bobwander.com
email:
+++++

FAA GLIDER FLYING HANDBOOK (FAA-H-8083-13) Published July 2003.
230 8.5 by 11 inch large format pages, with hundreds of full-color
illustrations.
This is the long-awaited official FAA document on flying gliders.
It is as up-to-date as it can be.
Written by glider people for glider people
(the FAA contracted the book to Jeppesen-Sanderson,
which in turn contracted the writing and editing out
to a number of American glider experts).
I am pleased to have written a number of chapters in this book,
and to have edited a number of other chapters for content and for writing
quality.
The result of all this labor by many talented people is a
comprehensive, modern, beautifully illustrated, easy-to-use book
for American glider pilots of all levels.
Jeppesen-Sanderson’s professional illustrators provided hundreds of
illustrations, all in full color.
comprehensive study guide for American glider pilots of all levels of
experience. Price $34.00 plus shipping.

Google