PDA

View Full Version : Whats the best "FREE" soaring program for the PocketPC

Siggi Ingason
August 1st 03, 09:54 PM
Hi,
before I put my hand in my pocket and pay for a soaring program which
I can use on my iPAQ, I'm interested in hearing what people think of free
programs like XCSoar and GPS_Log or any other soaring programs which run on
the iPAQ.

I must confess that I also have a Palm pilot Vx and think that SOARING pilot
(http://www.soaringpilot.com/) is an outstanding piece of software of the
Palm OS. The only reason I'm looking at the iPAQ is because my company has
just bought me a nice shiny new 5550.

Any feedback on iPAQ gliding software would be appreciated..

Thanks in advance
Siggi

Siggi Ingason
August 3rd 03, 09:00 AM
Hi Henryk,
thanks for your reply, from what I've seen, I think they
both have their pros and cons, but I suspect the GPS_Log software is better
supported. This is the one which I will download onto my nice new H5550 Ipaq
PocketPC running PcoketPC 2003.

I think to do a proper review you need to have used these programs for a
number of months to fully understand how they work.. I suspect there is also
an element of what you are familiar with as well, so for me, I'll download
GPS_Log and us this one.. Now all I need to do is to select the correct
version for my Ipaq - I think it's the "StrongARM or XScale processor"
version .

Regards
Siggi

"Henryk Birecki" > wrote in message
> "Siggi Ingason" > wrote:
>
> > before I put my hand in my pocket and pay for a soaring program
which
> >I can use on my iPAQ, I'm interested in hearing what people think of free
> >programs like XCSoar and GPS_Log or any other soaring programs which run
on
> >the iPAQ.
>
> They are free, are they not? Instead of listening to the pack - try
> them and form your own opinion.
>
> Henryk Birecki

Herbert Kilian
August 4th 03, 02:16 AM
> I must confess that I also have a Palm pilot Vx and think that SOARING pilot
> (http://www.soaringpilot.com/) is an outstanding piece of software of the
> Palm OS. The only reason I'm looking at the iPAQ is because my company has
> just bought me a nice shiny new 5550.
>
> Any feedback on iPAQ gliding software would be appreciated..
>
> Thanks in advance
> Siggi

Siggi,

Hallo nach Berlin von Chicago!

Forget about the free stuff, it's normally not that good. You want to
try the WinPilot Pro software on your shiny new IPAQ. Like they say
in the commercials, it changed my life! Get the demo software and try
it in simulator mode. If you are serious about flying cross country
and contests (and you should be), this is what you want.
After three years of using it I find myself even paying for the
upgrades. I credit the software (and my new LS8-18) for faster and
longer flights while feeling safer about my options. It ain't cheap
but well worth the money spent.

Herbert, J7

iPilot
August 4th 03, 11:03 AM
Partly agreed.

I think that when it comes to GPS_LOG, it's very close to Winpilot in functionality. It has some
drawbacks in usability, but with good learning and adopting it can be almost touchless in use. My
suggestion is:
If You're flying high-level competitions, You need possibly the best thing out there which is
Winpilot Pro.
Otherwise weigh your money and think if you need the best thing out there or the best bang for the
buck. Despite being free, I personally think that GPS_LOG offers as much or more than some programs
that are priced (except winpilot).

And last but not least. The program is developed quite heavily in recent years, so anyone who used
it three years ago can't be a good suggesting person.

Regards,
Kaido Tiigisoon

"Herbert Kilian" > wrote in message
om...
> > I must confess that I also have a Palm pilot Vx and think that SOARING pilot
> > (http://www.soaringpilot.com/) is an outstanding piece of software of the
> > Palm OS. The only reason I'm looking at the iPAQ is because my company has
> > just bought me a nice shiny new 5550.
> >
> > Any feedback on iPAQ gliding software would be appreciated..
> >
> > Thanks in advance
> > Siggi
>
> Siggi,
>
> Hallo nach Berlin von Chicago!
>
> Forget about the free stuff, it's normally not that good. You want to
> try the WinPilot Pro software on your shiny new IPAQ. Like they say
> in the commercials, it changed my life! Get the demo software and try
> it in simulator mode. If you are serious about flying cross country
> and contests (and you should be), this is what you want.
> After three years of using it I find myself even paying for the
> upgrades. I credit the software (and my new LS8-18) for faster and
> longer flights while feeling safer about my options. It ain't cheap
> but well worth the money spent.
>
> Herbert, J7

Google