PDA

View Full Version : Gliding in Hawaii

Charles Petersen
August 3rd 03, 05:08 AM
Will be passing through Hawaii next November, stopping for three days, and I
am interested in taking a flight while there. Any recommendations where to
fly? I am not looking for an 'Intro ride', but have time only for a single
day.

Shawn Curry
August 3rd 03, 06:14 AM
Charles Petersen wrote:
> Will be passing through Hawaii next November, stopping for three days, and I
> am interested in taking a flight while there. Any recommendations where to
> fly? I am not looking for an 'Intro ride', but have time only for a single
> day.

Dillingham field on the North Shore of Oahu is the (only?) place.
Beautiful place to fly. Trade winds blow up a ridge paralleling the
runway. The ridge extends to the west end of the island and several
miles to the east of the field. As I recall I got to about 2500' MSL
which gave great views. The pattern is flown over the ocean. Very
cool, but I had a hard time not looking at the coral reefs on downwind.
Prices were cheaper than commercial rates in Boulder, CO at the time.
I called and asked about how much getting checked out would cost,
including tow fee.
"Tows are $14" (five years ago).
"$14 per thousand feet?"
"Huh?"
"You mean tows are $14 per thousand feet of altitude, right?"
"We usually never tow that high."
"Huh?"
"We turn right on to the ridge and release."
"Oh!"
Sure enough. I flew with an instructor for a check out flight in a
2-33. We turned on to the ridge at 500 feet or so and were off in lift.
I was told sometimes thermals allow flight inland, but usually they
stick to the ridge.
Have fun,

Cheers,
Shawn

P.S. Only time I've ever flown with a pellet variometer. It worked,
but I really didn't need it.

Check the SSA site for a couple different places

F.L. Whiteley
August 3rd 03, 06:19 AM
"Charles Petersen" > wrote in message
> Will be passing through Hawaii next November, stopping for three days, and
> am interested in taking a flight while there. Any recommendations where
> fly? I am not looking for an 'Intro ride', but have time only for a
single
> day.

Shucks, go to Dillingham, fly a 40,000 hour 2-32 and take the vertical,
speed limiting airbrake descent to the numbers.

PS You didn't hear this from me.

Google