PDA

View Full Version : Commercial - Cumulus Update

Paul Remde
August 6th 03, 03:45 AM
Hi,

I added a few new GPS products to my web site.
http://www.cumulus-soaring.com/teletype.htm

I ordered a TeleType BlueTooth GPS for testing with my iPAQ 3970 and Glide
Navigator II. I'll let you know how it goes.

Good Soaring,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring Supplies
http://www.cumulus-soaring.com

Jim Kelly
August 6th 03, 11:42 PM
Hi Paul,

For your BlueTooth GPS you note:

This unit has not yet been tested with Glide Navigator II or WinPilot
<<

You may have seen my recent post that all new iPaqs suitable for
gliding have BlueTooth . . . Any plans to test BlueTooth GPS
reliability in gliding soon???

These units make sense if they work, especially now that the costs are
getting lower. Folks who also like to use their GPS/iPaq in their car
will be greatly advantaged by buying a BlueTooth GPS.

Anyone else tried one extensively in a glider?

There are two issues I can see:
1. Reliable (BlueTooth) connection GPS to Pocket-PC.
2. Power. BlueTooth GPS units vary in their claimed battery life. Some
have disposable batteries, some rechargeable, most have the option to
be powered by (included) 12volt adapter. I suspect that some may not
need to be hard wired to the glider.

Cheers,

Jim Kelly

"Paul Remde" > wrote in message
| Hi,
|
| I added a few new GPS products to my web site.
| http://www.cumulus-soaring.com/teletype.htm
|
| I ordered a TeleType BlueTooth GPS for testing with my iPAQ 3970 and
Glide
| Navigator II. I'll let you know how it goes.
|
| Good Soaring,
|
| Paul Remde
| Cumulus Soaring Supplies
| http://www.cumulus-soaring.com

Paul Remde
August 7th 03, 03:09 AM
Hi,

I have ordered a TeleType BlueTooth GPS for testing with Glide Navigator. I
may also order one from Transplant. I'll let you know how they work with my
3970 and Glide Navigator, and with the TeleType street mapping software.

I think the idea of a BlueTooth GPS is interesting, but I'm not yet
convinced they are as nice as you might first think. Since the battery only
lasts about 6 hours, you can't rely on them for long glider flights - unless
you power them with an extra battery, or the glider battery. Running power
to one is nearly as complicated as wiring a Garmin to your Pocket PC
directly. It will be fun to test them to see how convenient they are.

I agree they will be nice for use in a car - but again, I'll need to run
power to it for a long day in the car.

Good Soaring,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring Supplies
http://www.cumulus-soaring.com

"Jim Kelly" > wrote in message
u...
> Hi Paul,
>
> For your BlueTooth GPS you note:
>

> This unit has not yet been tested with Glide Navigator II or WinPilot
> <<
>
> You may have seen my recent post that all new iPaqs suitable for
> gliding have BlueTooth . . . Any plans to test BlueTooth GPS
> reliability in gliding soon???
>
> These units make sense if they work, especially now that the costs are
> getting lower. Folks who also like to use their GPS/iPaq in their car
> will be greatly advantaged by buying a BlueTooth GPS.
>
> Anyone else tried one extensively in a glider?
>
> There are two issues I can see:
> 1. Reliable (BlueTooth) connection GPS to Pocket-PC.
> 2. Power. BlueTooth GPS units vary in their claimed battery life. Some
> have disposable batteries, some rechargeable, most have the option to
> be powered by (included) 12volt adapter. I suspect that some may not
> need to be hard wired to the glider.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Jim Kelly
>

> "Paul Remde" > wrote in message
> | Hi,
> |
> | I added a few new GPS products to my web site.
> | http://www.cumulus-soaring.com/teletype.htm
> |
> | I ordered a TeleType BlueTooth GPS for testing with my iPAQ 3970 and
> Glide
> | Navigator II. I'll let you know how it goes.
> |
> | Good Soaring,
> |
> | Paul Remde
> | Cumulus Soaring Supplies
> | http://www.cumulus-soaring.com

Jim Kelly
August 7th 03, 02:54 PM
Hi Paul,

I see signs that BlueTooth GPS units will become quite cheap as
CarStreetNav units proliferate, and as many can probably claim this
expense as an income tax deduction it will become the most cost
effective way for folks to buy an iPaq+GPS. In a car, BlueTooth GPS
units allow quick egress without iPaq wires to disconnect . . and the
GPS unit (wired to 12v) can easily be hidden from view. Now that I
have used a Pocket-PC for six months I wouldn't be without one. They
are a really fantastic productivity tool.

TravRoute's Co-Pilot really is very clever at finding routes between
awkward suburbs and voicing the instructions as you drive. I expect
NavMan 4400 to be the same. Simply add GN2 or WinPilot, etc, at the
weekend and glide!! BlueTooth GPS units will put pressure on the
GlidingSoftware authors to realise that a GPS display will not be
available in some cockpits so they may need to add some features that
otherwise seem to duplicate Garmin displays/info. Such a pity no FAI
endorsement . . .

As to power in a glider, we need 12v for the iPaq so no big deal to
power the GPS too whether it is BlueTooth or not. If such a cable set
is made up then it can be used in a car too. Perhaps the CarStreetNav
kits will include all that is needed? A cigarette lighter socket in
gliders might turn an eye or two ;-\

Looking forward to hearing how the BlueTooth GPS units perform.

Cheers,

Jim Kelly
Australia.

"Paul Remde" > wrote in message
| Hi,
|
| I have ordered a TeleType BlueTooth GPS for testing with Glide
Navigator. I
| may also order one from Transplant. I'll let you know how they work
with my
| 3970 and Glide Navigator, and with the TeleType street mapping
software.

| I think the idea of a BlueTooth GPS is interesting, but I'm not yet
| convinced they are as nice as you might first think. Since the
battery only
| lasts about 6 hours, you can't rely on them for long glider
flights - unless
| you power them with an extra battery, or the glider battery.
Running power
| to one is nearly as complicated as wiring a Garmin to your Pocket PC
| directly. It will be fun to test them to see how convenient they
are.

| I agree they will be nice for use in a car - but again, I'll need to
run
| power to it for a long day in the car.
|
| Good Soaring,
|
| Paul Remde
| Cumulus Soaring Supplies
| http://www.cumulus-soaring.com
|
| "Jim Kelly" > wrote in
message
| u...
| > Hi Paul,
| >
| > For your BlueTooth GPS you note:
| >

| > This unit has not yet been tested with Glide Navigator II or
WinPilot
| > <<
| >
| > You may have seen my recent post that all new iPaqs suitable for
| > gliding have BlueTooth . . . Any plans to test BlueTooth GPS
| > reliability in gliding soon???
| >
| > These units make sense if they work, especially now that the costs
are
| > getting lower. Folks who also like to use their GPS/iPaq in their
car
| > will be greatly advantaged by buying a BlueTooth GPS.
| >
| > Anyone else tried one extensively in a glider?
| >
| > There are two issues I can see:
| > 1. Reliable (BlueTooth) connection GPS to Pocket-PC.
| > 2. Power. BlueTooth GPS units vary in their claimed battery life.
Some
| > have disposable batteries, some rechargeable, most have the option
| > be powered by (included) 12volt adapter. I suspect that some may
not
| > need to be hard wired to the glider.
| >
| > Cheers,
| >
| > Jim Kelly
| >

| > "Paul Remde" > wrote in message
| > | Hi,
| > |
| > | I added a few new GPS products to my web site.
| > | http://www.cumulus-soaring.com/teletype.htm
| > |
| > | I ordered a TeleType BlueTooth GPS for testing with my iPAQ 3970
and
| > Glide
| > | Navigator II. I'll let you know how it goes.
| > |
| > | Good Soaring,
| > |
| > | Paul Remde