PDA

View Full Version : Re: 2005 RAH Flyin at Pinckneyville goof correction

David Wenk
February 14th 05, 04:53 PM
Can somebody please enlighten me as to how and why Pinckneyville came to be
the home of the annual RAH Flyin? We're trying to do a profile on PJY and
the fly-in in particular, for Flyguides and AOPA's Postcards online. I
checked the FAQs but couldn't find what I was looking for. Anybody out there
who knows the history?

Thanks a million,

David Wenk
Flyguides, Inc

"Highfllyer" > wrote in message
> Sorry to all. I goofed. Here is the full banana.
>
> The annual fly in time is coming around again. The local motels will be
> filling up soon, so hurry and get your reservations in if y ou want a
> convenient room.
>
> WHEN: May 20, 21, and 22. This is Friday, Saturday, and Sunday of the
> weekend BEFORE the official Memorial Day Weekend. This has been the
> weekend for the Pinckneyville Flyin since the first one, ages ago! :-)
>
> WHERE: PJY, Pinckneyville Duquoin Airport, Pinckneyville, Illinois.
This
> is about 80 miles southeast of Saint Louis. We have a 4000 foot paved and
> lighted north-south runway and a parallel 1800 foot grass strip just west
of
> the pavement. There is no taxiway along the runway. We did have
instrument
> approaches but they slid into never neverland when the FAA decomissioned
our
> NDB last summer.
>
> WHAT: The annual three day get together of the diehards on the
rec.aviation
> newsgroups. Buddy rides all day and hangar flying all night. Beer, soda,
> and good chow. The Bar-B-Que is world renowned as are the HOT Italian
> sausages! :-)
> I do expect to have the Red Lady flying this year so anyone who wants a
ride
> in a Stinson Reliant let me know.
>
> WHO: Pilots, about to be pilots, wannabe pilots, and anybody who is into
> airplanes and won't be bummed by hanging out with a bunch of people who
talk
> about airplanes day and night!
>
> COST: This is NOT a "high dollar" flyin. Camping on the field is free.
> Local motels are quite reasonable. We do collect from everyone to cover
the
> cost of the groceries. Typically $20 for beer, soda, and nine meals.
Less
> if you are here for t he whole weekend.
>
> HOW: First drop Mary an email at to let her know you are
> coming and for how long. That is a great help when we start buying the
> groceries. Especially for the big saturday night dinner. The menu is
still
> open, at least somewhat, so if there are any good suggestions be sure to
let
> Mary know in the email. We do have vegetarian options available but we do
> not have the facilities to handle special religious requirements.
>
> Then fly in, drive in, bicycle, or hitchhike. Just be sure to get there!
> The Diehards arrive thursday afternoon and go home on Sunday or Monday.
:-)

> ACCOMODATIONS: Pitch a tent next to your airplane, no problem. You can
> also park motor homes next to the hangar or in the overflow tiedown area.
> No charges for camping or motorhomes. No sewer connections available but
we
> can probably run you out an extension cord for electricity. :-) If you
> would prefer a motel room with a shower and all, there are two local
> choices. The Mainstreet Inn, 618-357-2128, is reasonable and quite nice.
> The Oxbow Bed and Breakfast, 618-357-9839, is very nice and only a bit
more
> expensive. When these are full your best bet is DuQuoin, Illinois. After
> that, it gets to be a ways to the motels. We always manage to have
> transportation available for those who flyin to the Mainstreet Inn and the
> OxBow B&B. We can usually arrange transportation to the others as well.

February 14th 05, 10:26 PM
David Wenk wrote:
> Can somebody please enlighten me as to how and why Pinckneyville came
to be
> the home of the annual RAH Flyin? We're trying to do a profile on PJY
and
> the fly-in in particular, for Flyguides and AOPA's Postcards online.
> checked the FAQs but couldn't find what I was looking for. Anybody
out there
> who knows the history?

As far as I can remember, the first one was in '97. As for why, I
guess it seemed like a good idea at the time :-) Seriously, your best
source of info on the fly-in will be Highflyer, who made the original
post on this thread. It has contact info.

John Galban=====>N4BQ (PA28-180)

Bob Chilcoat
February 14th 05, 11:11 PM
The main reason it's at PJY is that Highflyer has a hangar there, and he
offered to host it the first year. It was a big success, and it's been
there ever since. I've only managed to make it one year, but I hope to go
again this year.

> wrote in message
oups.com...

> David Wenk wrote:
> > Can somebody please enlighten me as to how and why Pinckneyville came
> to be
> > the home of the annual RAH Flyin? We're trying to do a profile on PJY
> and
> > the fly-in in particular, for Flyguides and AOPA's Postcards online.
> > checked the FAQs but couldn't find what I was looking for. Anybody
> out there
> > who knows the history?
> >

> As far as I can remember, the first one was in '97. As for why, I
> guess it seemed like a good idea at the time :-) Seriously, your best
> source of info on the fly-in will be Highflyer, who made the original
> post on this thread. It has contact info.
>
> John Galban=====>N4BQ (PA28-180)

John Ousterhout
February 14th 05, 11:52 PM
David Wenk wrote:
> Can somebody please enlighten me as to how and why Pinckneyville came to be
> the home of the annual RAH Flyin? We're trying to do a profile on PJY and
> the fly-in in particular, for Flyguides and AOPA's Postcards online. I
> checked the FAQs but couldn't find what I was looking for. Anybody out there
> who knows the history?
>
> Thanks a million,
>
> David Wenk
> Flyguides, Inc

The Pinckneyville Fly-In began after discussion in late 1996 and early
1997 when a bunch of regulars on rec.aviation.homebuilt decided they
wanted to get together. John Johnson volunteered his hangar at PJY and
offered to host the event.

You can find the genisis in these links to r.a.h messages.
http://tinyurl.com/5l5q4
http://tinyurl.com/5mww2

A handful attended in 97. Many attended in 98. Attendance since then
had varied depending on weather and whim.

Just use google advanced groups search to search r.a.h using the word
Pinckneyville and you'll find lots of stories -- some even true.

Many photos of the event are on my web page: http://www.ousterhout.net

- J.O.-

Montblack
February 15th 05, 04:58 AM
("David Wenk" wrote)
> I checked the FAQs but couldn't find what I was looking for. Anybody out
> therwho knows the history?

We have FAQ's? <g>

Montblack

ChuckSlusarczyk
February 16th 05, 01:39 AM
In article <XQaQd.37$zH6.36@attbi_s53>, John Ousterhout says...
>The Pinckneyville Fly-In began after discussion in late 1996 and early
>1997 when a bunch of regulars on rec.aviation.homebuilt decided they
>wanted to get together. John Johnson volunteered his hangar at PJY and
>offered to host the event.
>
>You can find the genisis in these links to r.a.h messages.
>http://tinyurl.com/5l5q4
>http://tinyurl.com/5mww2
>
>A handful attended in 97. Many attended in 98. Attendance since then
>had varied depending on weather and whim.
>
>Just use google advanced groups search to search r.a.h using the word
>Pinckneyville and you'll find lots of stories -- some even true.
>
>Many photos of the event are on my web page: http://www.ousterhout.net
>
>- J.O.-

I guess 98 was the year the RAH-15 was born ,many of us had never met but we all
had 1 thing in common ,we were all zoomed at one time or another and were being
sued by zoom campbell . So we all got together with the original 15 and a bunch
of other RAH regulars and found out that for a bunch of
terrorists,liars,stalkers,thieves,blackmailers and other assorted pond scum,we
wuz actually a pretty good bunch of people LOL!!! ...and most I still consider
friends.
Everytime I hear Hotel California I get a tear in my eye for that as well as the
good memories of the gathering. Resurrections,chicken thieves,zoom targets in
the urinals ,gobs of neat airplane junk to look at...it don't get much better
then that :-)

Chuck (I'm going this year) S

PS thanks for keeping your web site up I visit it often for many reasons :-)

John Ousterhout
February 16th 05, 05:59 PM
ChuckSlusarczyk wrote:
> Everytime I hear Hotel California I get a tear in my eye

Me too Chuck. Me too!

Bring the Muzzleloader and we'll have another toast to Tony and other
absent companions.

- J.O.-

ChuckSlusarczyk
February 17th 05, 02:06 AM
In article >, John Ousterhout says...

>ChuckSlusarczyk wrote:
>> Everytime I hear Hotel California I get a tear in my eye
>
>Me too Chuck. Me too!
>
>Bring the Muzzleloader and we'll have another toast to Tony and other
>absent companions.
>
>- J.O.-

You got it John . I still miss tony I still have his e-mail address in my
address book I just can't seem to delete it.

See ya there

Chuck S RAH-15/1 ret

Barnyard BOb -
February 17th 05, 05:10 PM
>>Bring the Muzzleloader and we'll have another toast to Tony and other
>>absent companions.
>>
>>- J.O.-
>
>You got it John . I still miss tony I still have his e-mail address in my
>address book I just can't seem to delete it.
>
>See ya there
>
>Chuck S RAH-15/1 ret
====================================

Me too...
as well as Tony's phone number in my speed dial.

Barnyard BOb -

ChuckSlusarczyk
February 17th 05, 11:26 PM
In article >, Barnyard BOb - says...

>>>Bring the Muzzleloader and we'll have another toast to Tony and other
>>>absent companions.
>>>
>>>- J.O.-
>>
>>You got it John . I still miss tony I still have his e-mail address in my
>>address book I just can't seem to delete it.
>>
>>See ya there
>>
>>Chuck S RAH-15/1 ret
>====================================
>
>Me too...
>as well as Tony's phone number in my speed dial.
>

>Barnyard BOb -

Boy I'm glad to know I'm not alone in that sentiment.

See ya

Chuck S RAH-15/1 ret

ChuckSlusarczyk
February 18th 05, 01:05 AM
In article >, Barnyard BOb - says...

>>>Bring the Muzzleloader and we'll have another toast to Tony and other
>>>absent companions.
>>>
>>>- J.O.-
>>
>>You got it John . I still miss tony I still have his e-mail address in my
>>address book I just can't seem to delete it.
>>
>>See ya there
>>
>>Chuck S RAH-15/1 ret
>
>Me too...
>as well as Tony's phone number in my speed dial.
>

>Barnyard BOb -

Boy I'm glad to know I'm not alone in that sentiment.

See ya

Chuck S RAH-15/1 ret

Google