PDA

View Full Version : contest task completion rates?

ken ward
August 9th 03, 08:40 PM
the guys running hang gliding contests are debating their task
completion rates. it looks like 1/3 of pure flex wing entrants make
goal, while 2/3 of rigid wing entrants make goal. sometimes they have
the same tasks, sometimes the rigid wing tasks are a little longer.
sometimes they start at the same time, sometimes they hold back the
rigid wings.

the question is, how do these rates compare to sailplane contests? some
are alleging that sailplane contests plan for 100% completion rates.
true or false? any data?

also, when running a sailplane contest with multiple classes, do you
send the Standard Class out first to mark the thermals for the higher
performance classes, or do you send the Open Class out first on their
own?

Ken
LAK-12
not a racer

Eric Greenwell
August 9th 03, 09:46 PM
In article <kenward1000-B49256.12404809082003@newssvr24-
ext.news.prodigy.com>, says...
> the guys running hang gliding contests are debating their task
> completion rates. it looks like 1/3 of pure flex wing entrants make
> goal, while 2/3 of rigid wing entrants make goal. sometimes they have
> the same tasks, sometimes the rigid wing tasks are a little longer.
> sometimes they start at the same time, sometimes they hold back the
> rigid wings.
>
> the question is, how do these rates compare to sailplane contests? some
> are alleging that sailplane contests plan for 100% completion rates.
> true or false? any data?

We get close to that at our Region 8 contests, though I think it is
more of an unconscious goal, rather than a formally stated one.

> also, when running a sailplane contest with multiple classes, do you
> send the Standard Class out first to mark the thermals for the higher
> performance classes, or do you send the Open Class out first on their
> own?

Region 8 always starts the Open Class last, but rotates the order of
the other classes (generally Sports and 15M). The heavy 25M gliders
like to have all the runway, and they can still fly a good task with
their extra performance, even though they might be starting later than
optimum (actually, in the good conditions we generally have during the
contest, the Open class gliders don't have a big advantage). If it
weren't for the runway length, we'd rotate all the classes.

I fly in the Open class, but I haven't found the thermal marking to be
important, even though the 15M class often has the same task as the
Open. This is probably because the 15M class has had only 7-10 gliders
lately, so there aren't many markers.
--
!Replace DECIMAL.POINT in my e-mail address with just a . to reply
directly

Eric Greenwell
Richland, WA (USA)

Tom Seim
August 11th 03, 03:32 AM
Data on completion rates can be derived from the contest results
posted on the SSA's web site. I'm sure many would be interested with
what you find out. Generally, the competion directors try to set tasks
that will ensure at least 80%. Otherwise the pilots (and crews) get
somewhat testy. Sometimes this leads to conservative task calling, but
not always.

Google