PDA

View Full Version : Soaring simulator projects

Peder Lindbom
March 11th 16, 07:18 AM
We are three swedish clubs considering building three simulators. It would be great to get in contact with people who have done something similar. We could possibly also be interested in buying them if someone with experience would be interested in building them for us.

Please get in touch with me. (+46705665226) or peder (dot) lindbom (at) mac (dot) com

March 12th 16, 11:10 PM
On Friday, March 11, 2016 at 2:18:43 AM UTC-5, Peder Lindbom wrote:
> We are three swedish clubs considering building three simulators. It would be great to get in contact with people who have done something similar. We could possibly also be interested in buying them if someone with experience would be interested in building them for us.
>
> Please get in touch with me. (+46705665226) or peder (dot) lindbom (at) mac (dot) com

Take a look at http://www.gliderbooks.com/training-sim.html and let me know if you have any questions!

March 18th 16, 04:23 PM
On Friday, March 11, 2016 at 2:18:43 AM UTC-5, Peder Lindbom wrote:
> We are three swedish clubs considering building three simulators. It would be great to get in contact with people who have done something similar. We could possibly also be interested in buying them if someone with experience would be interested in building them for us.
>
> Please get in touch with me. (+46705665226) or peder (dot) lindbom (at) mac (dot) com

We use simulation training extensively and have 5 simulators, courtesy of the National Soaring Museum. Four of them are simple desk and office chairs with joystick/rudder pedals and the fifth is a portable 'hotseat' rig adapted from a driving simulator similar to this one (https://s-media-cache-ak0..pinimg.com/564x/2a/b6/40/2ab6401b35c4c8be3b45b23b6e7ae14f.jpg)

In our experience, while it is 'nice' to have a layout that mimics a glider cockpit, you still get great results from the standard chair/desk layout. Most of our students are able to go from simulator to real glider and are generally ready to fly tow and landing (supervised, obviously!) after just a flight or two. The difference in control layouts for the simulator and glider do not seem to interfere with transferring what is learned in the sim to the real glider.

If you are building the simulators to attract public attention, then by all means, go for a more realistic option. You just don't need it for instructing using simulation.

Google