PDA

View Full Version : New Coating

Muttley
March 14th 16, 07:01 PM
Hi

Guess how long it will be before we all put this stuff on our gliders??

https://youtu.be/IPM8OR6W6WE

No more waxing or Bugwipers!!

Muttley

Matt Herron Jr.
March 14th 16, 08:14 PM
On Monday, March 14, 2016 at 12:01:03 PM UTC-7, Muttley wrote:
> Hi
>
> Guess how long it will be before we all put this stuff on our gliders??
>
> https://youtu.be/IPM8OR6W6WE
>
> No more waxing or Bugwipers!!
>
> Muttley

I will coat my underwear with that stuff for low saves!

Giaco
March 14th 16, 10:18 PM
On Monday, March 14, 2016 at 3:01:03 PM UTC-4, Muttley wrote:
> Hi
>
> Guess how long it will be before we all put this stuff on our gliders??
>
> https://youtu.be/IPM8OR6W6WE
>
> No more waxing or Bugwipers!!
>
> Muttley

Mind=Blown
The day they sell this in rattle cans will be the day i go bankrupt...

Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)
March 14th 16, 10:21 PM
On Monday, March 14, 2016 at 3:01:03 PM UTC-4, Muttley wrote:
> Hi
>
> Guess how long it will be before we all put this stuff on our gliders??
>
> https://youtu.be/IPM8OR6W6WE
>
> No more waxing or Bugwipers!!
>
> Muttley

Soooo..... buy RainEx...... seems to be "the same/similar"......

Yes, it's cool..... but not the 1st (from what I've seen before).

Doug[_7_]
March 15th 16, 12:07 AM
Hey Muttley, any chance you're the same Muttley from theach C2 forum?

March 15th 16, 06:26 AM
From the MSDS sheet, ingredients by weight:
acetone: 96 - 98%
silica: 2 - 4%
proprietary additive: < 1%

I'll let someone else test the effects of that on their gelcoat for a number of years first...

Muttley
March 15th 16, 10:09 AM
On Tuesday, March 15, 2016 at 12:07:37 AM UTC, Doug wrote:
> Hey Muttley, any chance you're the same Muttley from theach C2 forum?

sorry must be another Muttley!

ND
March 15th 16, 12:20 PM
i actually was pretty interested in that. imagine ducking through a band of rain and having your wings be dry almost instantly after you exit. i bet the bugs would streak way back though...

On Monday, March 14, 2016 at 3:01:03 PM UTC-4, Muttley wrote:
> Hi
>
> Guess how long it will be before we all put this stuff on our gliders??
>
> https://youtu.be/IPM8OR6W6WE
>
> No more waxing or Bugwipers!!
>
> Muttley

March 15th 16, 12:36 PM
On Monday, March 14, 2016 at 8:07:37 PM UTC-4, Doug wrote:
> Hey Muttley, any chance you're the same Muttley from theach C2 forum?

First, I would like to see laminar airflow studies on glider airfoils. There is the assumption this will not affect the laminar flow or increase it. Maybe the opposite.

March 15th 16, 01:54 PM
On Tuesday, March 15, 2016 at 2:26:42 AM UTC-4, wrote:
> From the MSDS sheet, ingredients by weight:
> acetone: 96 - 98%
> silica: 2 - 4%
> proprietary additive: < 1%
>
> I'll let someone else test the effects of that on their gelcoat for a number of years first...

Sounds like a very good material for removing wax protecting the finish.
UH

March 15th 16, 04:48 PM
I saw something similar used for ketchup bottles as a demo so there might be a food-safe version available. How about for the inside of my Guinness can!

Jonathan St. Cloud
March 15th 16, 05:01 PM
Really, it does not have to be "food safe" to enter US market. Ever heard of trans fats.

On Tuesday, March 15, 2016 at 9:48:59 AM UTC-7, wrote:
> I saw something similar used for ketchup bottles as a demo so there might be a food-safe version available. How about for the inside of my Guinness can!

Muttley
March 15th 16, 07:42 PM
On Tuesday, March 15, 2016 at 5:01:54 PM UTC, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:
> Really, it does not have to be "food safe" to enter US market. Ever heard of trans fats.
>
> On Tuesday, March 15, 2016 at 9:48:59 AM UTC-7, wrote:
> > I saw something similar used for ketchup bottles as a demo so there might be a food-safe version available. How about for the inside of my Guinness can!

Material was apparently developed by NASA for Application on Airliners
to eliminate Bug problems on leading edge of Wings!!

Tango Eight
March 15th 16, 09:40 PM
You wouldn't have thought that people would still be trying to sell hydrophobia in *2016*. I think a lot of us hoped we were beyond all that. How completely, totally repellent.

T8

Steve Leonard[_2_]
March 15th 16, 10:26 PM
On Tuesday, March 15, 2016 at 4:40:41 PM UTC-5, Tango Eight wrote:
> You wouldn't have thought that people would still be trying to sell hydrophobia in *2016*. I think a lot of us hoped we were beyond all that. How completely, totally repellent.
>

> T8

And repulsive.

WB
March 15th 16, 10:30 PM
Might not want that on your wings. It leaves a sort of "fuzzy" texture on surfaces.

March 16th 16, 12:42 PM
Get a grip T8. I think we all need to learn to let things slide. This topic has been on a slippery slope from the get go.

Tango Eight
March 16th 16, 01:20 PM
I hate the word hydrophobia.

It's not a fear.

I am not scared.

I'm just a glasshole.

T8

Paul Agnew
March 16th 16, 05:25 PM
The manufacturer's website states emphatically that it does not dry clear and there are no colors available. The photos show it drying to a milky haze. Cool stuff, but still a few years from it becoming the go-to anti-bug, hydro/oleo-phobic must-have product.

Paul A.
Jupiter, FL

March 16th 16, 06:59 PM
Pik 20 drivers will keep this companies stock price high

Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)
March 16th 16, 07:14 PM
On Wednesday, March 16, 2016 at 2:59:41 PM UTC-4, wrote:
> Pik 20 drivers will keep this companies stock price high

Why????? Beading of water on the PIK20 wing profile (same as a SGS-1-35 IIRC) is the same.
ANY contamination kills the performance. Best bet on this profile is:
-600 grit sanding @ ~45* to airflow
-Wipe from spar forward with liquid dish soap so the water sheets, NOT beads

Finer sanding, wax, etc. all are "death" to wing performance. Anything like the product in this thread, RainEx, wax, etc. all make liquids bead. While some of these will shed most of the water, the rest will make a glass ship about like a 1-26 in glide (and before the 1-26 drivers jump on me, I'm part owner of 002......and have quite a few hours in it.)

March 16th 16, 09:24 PM
Your right, mea culpa, I was thinking that with the extreme beading and sheding action of this product, the water would be gone fast. Thats true but I forgot you many times have to fly thru showers for an extended amount of minutes. With this products extreme beading your totaly screwed. I fly a 1-26 so with its non laminar flow airfoil non of it matters, sand or wax or smatter with bugs, ya still get 23/1 lol.

Steve Leonard[_2_]
March 16th 16, 09:36 PM
On Wednesday, March 16, 2016 at 4:24:35 PM UTC-5, wrote:
> I fly a 1-26 so with its non laminar flow airfoil non of it matters, sand or wax or smatter with bugs, ya still get 23/1 lol.

Only get 23:1 from a 1-26 with a tailwind!

March 16th 16, 10:35 PM
Shhhh dont let our little secret out.

March 16th 16, 10:47 PM
In all seriousness, after about 40 hours of flying my recently restored 1-26 I consistently get over 22/1 day in day out. My flight computer is set for 22/1 and I never fall below it. The only thing possibly a little more exceptional about my bird is I spent a good bit of time with sealing to remove as much drag as possible. But wing wise, mine have got 50 years of dings and wrinkles, it doesnt seem to matter much.
Dan 1-26 #225

March 18th 16, 06:10 PM
Is there anybody who tried out this one?

http://www.loprestiaviation.com/#!speedcoat-2-/chjn
http://www.loprestiaviation.com/#!product/prd19/2787678181/speed-coat-2-lsm-scd-037-1

Not really cheap, especially since you probably need two spray bottles or more for a glider.

Google