PDA

View Full Version : cold weather flying

ND
May 2nd 16, 08:32 PM
Hi all,

My thread is either 8 months too late, or three months too early depending on how you look at it.

I'm looking for opinions on gear for cold weather flying, and high altitude flying, particularly as it relates to footwear. I'm trying to find a pair of boots which are warm and insulated, but also relatively low profile because i'm looking for rudder clearance. does anyone know of a good brand or specific boot?

thanks dudes.

-Andy

May 2nd 16, 09:53 PM
Finally a subject I have knowledge of :)

I found that the best is the inside boot liner of my ski boots. I never get very cold skiing and thought "let me try them" they worked excellent.

I had though of trying heaters ... but what happens if they get too hot or..... I can not reach my feet at all in my Pegase. I flew Mt Washington and got really high - 50+ below zero - was never totally frozen. I use them now for all winter flying.

WH1

Michael Opitz
May 2nd 16, 11:58 PM
At 20:53 02 May 2016, wrote:
>Finally a subject I have knowledge of :)
>
>I found that the best is the inside boot liner of my ski boots. I never
>get very cold skiing and thought "let me try them" they worked
excellent.

>I had though of trying heaters ... but what happens if they get too
hot
>or..... I can not reach my feet at all in my Pegase. I flew Mt
Washington
>and got really high - 50+ below zero - was never totally frozen. I
use
>them now for all winter flying.
>
>WH1

You might look at this site for other options:

http://www.millenair.nl/shop/index.php?
route=product/category&path=124_64

RO

Dan Marotta
May 3rd 16, 12:31 AM
How will ski boot liners perform in a parachute landing?

--
Dan, 5J

Cookie
May 3rd 16, 01:04 AM
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/tcx-x-cube-evo-wp-boots

For the last 4 years or so, I've been flying with this style of motorcycle boot(see link above)

Surprisingly warm...and fairly small "footprint" to fit the small area available in glass gliders....thin enough sole to "feel"...comfortable...

you can always add heat packs, or electric insoles?

Cookie

On Monday, May 2, 2016 at 3:32:50 PM UTC-4, ND wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> My thread is either 8 months too late, or three months too early depending on how you look at it.
>
> I'm looking for opinions on gear for cold weather flying, and high altitude flying, particularly as it relates to footwear. I'm trying to find a pair of boots which are warm and insulated, but also relatively low profile because i'm looking for rudder clearance. does anyone know of a good brand or specific boot?
>
> thanks dudes.
>
> -Andy

May 3rd 16, 01:29 AM
Dan as for a parachute landing the footware is probably the least of your concerns a good ways behind getting out eithout being struck and getting that chute opened. LOL

May 3rd 16, 01:14 PM
On Monday, May 2, 2016 at 7:31:44 PM UTC-4, Dan Marotta wrote:
> How will ski boot liners perform in a parachute landing?

Not as good as steel tipped construction boots would be, but at least as good as the sneakers I wear in warmer weather and way better than pilots that fly bare foot or in sandals :)

I just found them the best solution I have tried so far :) - so I was just sharing................ ya know

WH1

ND
May 3rd 16, 01:53 PM
thanks guys! i actually have a pair of heated insoles, they work very well in insulated footwear, but they aren't much good in a pair of sneakers, so i wanted to find a pair of good boots to put them into. i think i'll take a serious look at the motorcycle boots, and ski boot liners. ski boots are supposed to be stiff, but i don't know if the liners are restrictive.

On Monday, May 2, 2016 at 3:32:50 PM UTC-4, ND wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> My thread is either 8 months too late, or three months too early depending on how you look at it.
>
> I'm looking for opinions on gear for cold weather flying, and high altitude flying, particularly as it relates to footwear. I'm trying to find a pair of boots which are warm and insulated, but also relatively low profile because i'm looking for rudder clearance. does anyone know of a good brand or specific boot?
>
> thanks dudes.
>
> -Andy

Dan Daly[_2_]
May 3rd 16, 02:43 PM
On Tuesday, May 3, 2016 at 8:53:17 AM UTC-4, ND wrote:
> thanks guys! i actually have a pair of heated insoles, they work very well in insulated footwear, but they aren't much good in a pair of sneakers, so i wanted to find a pair of good boots to put them into. i think i'll take a serious look at the motorcycle boots, and ski boot liners. ski boots are supposed to be stiff, but i don't know if the liners are restrictive.
>
> On Monday, May 2, 2016 at 3:32:50 PM UTC-4, ND wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > My thread is either 8 months too late, or three months too early depending on how you look at it.
> >
> > I'm looking for opinions on gear for cold weather flying, and high altitude flying, particularly as it relates to footwear. I'm trying to find a pair of boots which are warm and insulated, but also relatively low profile because i'm looking for rudder clearance. does anyone know of a good brand or specific boot?
> >
> > thanks dudes.
> >
> > -Andy

Not only the boots are important; change to dry socks just before take-off, and it is a good idea to spray your feet with antiperspirant. Evaporating moisture really cools the feet.
Also, on Arctic Survival, one theme was always, "If your feet get cold, wear a bigger hat" - since you're losing the heat up top. You don't win awards for style, but a wool watch cap lined with Thinsulate really keeps your feet warm.
For boots in the Lake Placid Wave, I use BEARPAW Men's Dream 8" Shearling Boot,Hickory. I've used them 3 years, and they're holding up well (I only wear them to fly). You have to order one size larger than you normally wear. I only put them on just before T/O, change socks, etc. They fit well under the rudder pedal loops on the SZD-55 (nice in rotor).
Dan
2D

May 3rd 16, 03:01 PM
What about this..

if you have a heated option, try a pair of booties OVER your shoes. I have two different overshoes for cycling. One is just rain protection, the other is insulated.

When it's really cold out. I'll wear my regular shoes, then stick a toe warmer on the OUTSIDE of the toe of the shoe, then cover with the insulated bootie. Works for the bike. I'm gonna try it in the glider.

May help to get warmth, without bulk. With size 13s... I need all the room in the nosecone I can get!

JP

Tango Whisky
May 3rd 16, 03:42 PM
I've got myself SkyBoots
http://www.streckenflug.at/shop/product_info.php?products_id=1661
which you put over your normal shoes just before take-off (you can walk around a little bit; they have a small reinforcement on the underside).

I actually don't remember anymore what cold feet feel like ;-)

Bert
Ventus cM "TW"

Stu
May 3rd 16, 09:15 PM
On Monday, May 2, 2016 at 1:32:50 PM UTC-6, ND wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> My thread is either 8 months too late, or three months too early depending on how you look at it.
>
> I'm looking for opinions on gear for cold weather flying, and high altitude flying, particularly as it relates to footwear. I'm trying to find a pair of boots which are warm and insulated, but also relatively low profile because i'm looking for rudder clearance. does anyone know of a good brand or specific boot?
>
> thanks dudes.
>
> -Andy

Check out Thermacell heated insoles. You can get them at Cabela's. They have a remote control and I have never had them overheat. Several years ago, I also use Hotonics and at the #3 setting they never overheated my feet, however I did not like the batteries hanging form my boots.

Stu 2Z

RomeoRomeo
May 3rd 16, 10:06 PM
On Monday, May 2, 2016 at 3:32:50 PM UTC-4, ND wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> My thread is either 8 months too late, or three months too early depending on how you look at it.
>
> I'm looking for opinions on gear for cold weather flying, and high altitude flying, particularly as it relates to footwear. I'm trying to find a pair of boots which are warm and insulated, but also relatively low profile because i'm looking for rudder clearance. does anyone know of a good brand or specific boot?
>
> thanks dudes.
>
> -Andy

Here is my preference:

https://nunatakusa.com/down-booties/23-kangri-mukluks.html

Knee High down booties. When it is 40 below, everything from my knees down gets cold (out of the sun), so these are great. NG for bailing out, but are so breathable I can wear them in all but the warmest weather. I am tall, and the relitively thin soles "make me shorter"...

RR

Dan Marotta
May 4th 16, 02:34 AM
Dan, getting out and getting the chute opened are independent of
footwear. ND is pretty flat and well plowed, but you wouldn't want to
walk on the NM canyons and desert in anything flimsy. Then consider how
far you may have to walk in those booties, assuming you haven't broken
an ankle on landing.

Dan

On 5/2/2016 6:29 PM, wrote:
> Dan as for a parachute landing the footware is probably the least of your concerns a good ways behind getting out eithout being struck and getting that chute opened. LOL

--
Dan, 5J

Dan Marotta
May 4th 16, 02:39 AM
I wear hiking boots from REI. I also use them on my motorcycle and, oh
yeah, for hiking!

--
Dan, 5J

May 4th 16, 03:14 AM
Do your hiking boots have lace hooks? If so, they are not safe for going parachuting.

ND
May 4th 16, 01:58 PM
do these have some kind of sole? do you wear them over your shoes? i like this option, but i want to understand what kind of sole or insole it already might have, since i'd like to incorporate my heated insoles if possible.

On Tuesday, May 3, 2016 at 5:06:53 PM UTC-4, RomeoRomeo wrote:
> On Monday, May 2, 2016 at 3:32:50 PM UTC-4, ND wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > My thread is either 8 months too late, or three months too early depending on how you look at it.
> >
> > I'm looking for opinions on gear for cold weather flying, and high altitude flying, particularly as it relates to footwear. I'm trying to find a pair of boots which are warm and insulated, but also relatively low profile because i'm looking for rudder clearance. does anyone know of a good brand or specific boot?
> >
> > thanks dudes.
> >
> > -Andy
>
> Here is my preference:
>
> https://nunatakusa.com/down-booties/23-kangri-mukluks.html
>
> Knee High down booties. When it is 40 below, everything from my knees down gets cold (out of the sun), so these are great. NG for bailing out, but are so breathable I can wear them in all but the warmest weather. I am tall, and the relitively thin soles "make me shorter"...
>
> RR

May 4th 16, 02:06 PM
ND are in north dakota? I fly up in the Minot area. We are getting set up to start a club up here.
Dan

May 4th 16, 02:51 PM
Yes Dan I understand the aspects of the hike out. Most of my xc flying was out of minden and Ive had my share of hikes. As for getting out of the ship, boots may be important for another reason. My bro once had to bail out of a ventus after a midair. After a guy hit him my bro found himself in a high G loop (guy clipped my bros elevator it jammed in full up postion). My bro had to use his legs to kick out the canopy cause it wouldnt eject with the high poss G's. In this case his boots definitely saved his ass.

Dan Marotta
May 4th 16, 03:23 PM
Yeah, I know. When I was jumping, they taped up the hooks with duct
tape. So I switched to sneakers. Note that I use a ram air rectangular
chute with a much lower vertical speed at landing.

On 5/3/2016 8:14 PM, wrote:
> Do your hiking boots have lace hooks? If so, they are not safe for going parachuting.

--
Dan, 5J

Dan Marotta
May 4th 16, 03:26 PM
Good point! And that's a scenario that gives me the willies. At my
age, I might not be able to get out under those circumstances.

On 5/4/2016 7:51 AM, wrote:
> Yes Dan I understand the aspects of the hike out. Most of my xc flying was out of minden and Ive had my share of hikes. As for getting out of the ship, boots may be important for another reason. My bro once had to bail out of a ventus after a midair. After a guy hit him my bro found himself in a high G loop (guy clipped my bros elevator it jammed in full up postion). My bro had to use his legs to kick out the canopy cause it wouldnt eject with the high poss G's. In this case his boots definitely saved his ass.

--
Dan, 5J

May 4th 16, 03:35 PM
Yep me too Dan. My bro was really low, toward the bottom of a gaggle filled thermal at the start of a race. The midair occurred at about 2k agl and folks that saw it say he got out around 1300 ft, lucky to be here. The ventus ended up landingvitself, it bottomed out of the last loop right at ground level, didnt hardly scratch a wing but the fuselage was a mess lol

May 4th 16, 04:19 PM
On Wednesday, May 4, 2016 at 9:06:56 AM UTC-4, wrote:
> ND are in north dakota? I fly up in the Minot area. We are getting set up to start a club up here.
> Dan

ND flies out of Harris Hill in NY.
UH

Jonathan St. Cloud
May 4th 16, 05:04 PM
Might I ask you to explain this statement? I don't doubt you, just wanted to know reason. I fly with light boots in the summer that are laced and have a side zipper. For wave flying if you are already a sailor these boots are great for cold weather flying and for cold weather sailing http://www.apsltd.com/ultima-stretch-sea-boot-brown.html I have put my feet in these boots soaking wet (3 hour watch) and they have come out dry.

On Tuesday, May 3, 2016 at 7:14:05 PM UTC-7, wrote:
> Do your hiking boots have lace hooks? If so, they are not safe for going parachuting.

ND
May 4th 16, 07:31 PM
He's right Dan,

my name is andy. that's where ND came from... enn-dee. a lady in our club thought of that back when we were teenagers dreaming of what our contest ID's would be when we had gliders someday, and it stuck.

On Wednesday, May 4, 2016 at 11:19:06 AM UTC-4, wrote:
> On Wednesday, May 4, 2016 at 9:06:56 AM UTC-4, wrote:
> > ND are in north dakota? I fly up in the Minot area. We are getting set up to start a club up here.
> > Dan
>
> ND flies out of Harris Hill in NY.
> UH

May 4th 16, 09:58 PM
They have a neoprene sole. As I said, not for hiking but should work dandy with heated insoles. I put my shoes in the back when I use these. If I had to bail out, it could be problimatic, but for flying high, they have been great. There is a small problem that they compress on your heels, and that spot can get cold. But I have been meaning to glue a mouse pad like layer of neoprene on the "floor" of the cockpit to have a nice soft and warm spot for my heels.

It is interesting that my "wave ware" has become less and less over the years. Just a few layers of micro fleece on top as dark micro fleece will soak up the sun, but again, in the shadows under the panel, it can be nasty cold, these have worked well for me.

They breathe well enough that I have used the air-activated hand warmers. A pair of socks, then one above my toes and one below, taped in place and under a large pair of fleece socks. Then the down booties.

Happy Feet...

RR

On Wednesday, May 4, 2016 at 8:58:23 AM UTC-4, ND wrote:
> do these have some kind of sole? do you wear them over your shoes? i like this option, but i want to understand what kind of sole or insole it already might have, since i'd like to incorporate my heated insoles if possible.
>

> > Knee High down booties. When it is 40 below, everything from my knees down gets cold (out of the sun), so these are great. NG for bailing out, but are so breathable I can wear them in all but the warmest weather. I am tall, and the relitively thin soles "make me shorter"...
> >
> > RR

Dan Marotta
May 5th 16, 01:40 AM
ND is North Dakota; NM is New Mexico. I should have spelled them out to
avoid confusion.

--
Dan, 5J

JS
May 5th 16, 01:57 AM
On Wednesday, May 4, 2016 at 9:04:25 AM UTC-7, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:
> Might I ask you to explain this statement?
>
> On Tuesday, May 3, 2016 at 7:14:05 PM UTC-7, wrote:
> > Do your hiking boots have lace hooks? If so, they are not safe for going parachuting.

Lace hooks are also parachute suspension line hooks.
If you open the chute head down or tumbling and get a line stuck in your shoe, you may be wishing the lace hook would cut the suspension line.
Jim

Google