PDA

View Full Version : Help me convince my wife..... :)

May 23rd 16, 05:58 PM
So.. I bought a share in a 1-35 this winter. I've already had a blast in it this season. I own just 1/4 of it, so not much of an outlay of cash.

I've got the disease pretty bad. I'm interested now in going halves with another club member on something glass and in the 40+ l/d

Lets say a ASW24. I've rented one before at Williams, and had fun in it.

With my own glass ship that travels well, I could hit FL and SW areas in the winter. My job allows me to float about the country pretty easy. In other words, take the glider to FL, work a week out of FL, then fly a few days and bring it back home.

So my wife.. while not being very EXCITED about the prospect of me spending 25 or so thousand dollars on a glider hasn't thrown fits. BUT... she took me for a loop today.

She said, what about just going places to rent? I countered with the fact that many places were clubs, and many places were not renting high performance stuff like that.

When she heard CLUB.. she just said.... well, for the money you are spending, you could join at a couple clubs around the country and travel to them each once a year.

UHHHHH...

now.. off the top of my head, the depreciation on a well cared for glass ship is pretty low, what maybe 2k a year 3 at most? Then throw in my half of insurance and mtx.. call it another grand or two. That's a couple to three thousand a year.

Any help here?

Please.

JP

Renny[_2_]
May 23rd 16, 06:43 PM
JP,
Interesting dilemma. Here are some "deep thoughts:"

1. An older glider like an ASW24 will probably not depreciate very much at this point. If you buy one today and sell it in a few years you may get close to the same price you paid for it, so a $2-3K annual depreciation may be a bit too pessimistic (assuming you take good care of it)!

2. Joining various clubs around the country is an interesting idea, but reality tells me that it may not be the right option. For example, monthly dues will have to be paid. Many clubs have sizable initiation fees to join. More importantly many clubs (right or wrong) limit the use of clubs ships for X-C use. Some are better than others in this regard, but your X-C flying may be limited. Dare I say, I also believe there may be some hesitation in clubs to have someone from out of state decide to "suddenly" show up, take a club ship and go cross country. Just think how the "local" club members will feel if you damage the ship in a land-out and then the local club members lose the ship for the season....It would not be pretty....

3. Using various club ships will not really allow you get the comfort and familiarity that you would get in your own ship. It is critical that you get comfortable in a ship's handling and performance especially if you want to do some serious X-C soaring. This is also very important to allow you to fly safely and this is something I am sure your spouse would want you to do....

4. Owning your own ship allows you to equip it with the avionics you choose.. In clubs ships you have no choice on how it is equipped. Now, I know you can carry a few items like an Oudie with you, but it is absolutely not the same as being able to fly a ship regularly with equipment that you know how to properly use. Again, this "familiarity" tracks with #3 above.

So, I do believe that the "club" idea might sound reasonable, but I do believe that in reality the odds of success would be quite low.

Now, this all being said, if you cannot afford a ship (or do not want to invest in one at this point in time), it might be worth investigating this club idea a bit further. In addition, one could explore renting from commercial operations that do rent high-performance ships such as at: SoaringNV at Minden and Sundance Aviation at Moriarty!

OK...that's my 2 or 3 cents...Good luck!

Thx - Renny
(Flying glider #6)

On Monday, May 23, 2016 at 10:58:08 AM UTC-6, wrote:
> So.. I bought a share in a 1-35 this winter. I've already had a blast in it this season. I own just 1/4 of it, so not much of an outlay of cash.
>
> I've got the disease pretty bad. I'm interested now in going halves with another club member on something glass and in the 40+ l/d
>
> Lets say a ASW24. I've rented one before at Williams, and had fun in it.
>
> With my own glass ship that travels well, I could hit FL and SW areas in the winter. My job allows me to float about the country pretty easy. In other words, take the glider to FL, work a week out of FL, then fly a few days and bring it back home.
>
> So my wife.. while not being very EXCITED about the prospect of me spending 25 or so thousand dollars on a glider hasn't thrown fits. BUT... she took me for a loop today.
>
> She said, what about just going places to rent? I countered with the fact that many places were clubs, and many places were not renting high performance stuff like that.
>
> When she heard CLUB.. she just said.... well, for the money you are spending, you could join at a couple clubs around the country and travel to them each once a year.
>
> UHHHHH...
>
> now.. off the top of my head, the depreciation on a well cared for glass ship is pretty low, what maybe 2k a year 3 at most? Then throw in my half of insurance and mtx.. call it another grand or two. That's a couple to three thousand a year.
>
> Any help here?
>
> Please.
>
> JP

Max Kirschner[_3_]
May 23rd 16, 06:56 PM
At 16:58 23 May 2016, wrote:
>So.. I bought a share in a 1-35 this winter. I've already had a
blast in
>it this season. I own just 1/4 of it, so not much of an outlay of
cash.

>I've got the disease pretty bad. I'm interested now in going
halves with
>another club member on something glass and in the 40+ l/d
>
>Lets say a ASW24. I've rented one before at Williams, and had
fun in it.

>With my own glass ship that travels well, I could hit FL and SW
areas in
>the winter. My job allows me to float about the country pretty
easy. In
>other words, take the glider to FL, work a week out of FL, then
fly a few
>days and bring it back home.
>
>So my wife.. while not being very EXCITED about the prospect of
me spending
>25 or so thousand dollars on a glider hasn't thrown fits. BUT...
she took
>me for a loop today.
>
>She said, what about just going places to rent? I countered with
the fact
>that many places were clubs, and many places were not renting
high
>performance stuff like that.
>
>When she heard CLUB.. she just said.... well, for the money you
are
>spending, you could join at a couple clubs around the country
and travel to
>them each once a year.
>
>UHHHHH...
>
>now.. off the top of my head, the depreciation on a well cared for
glass
>ship is pretty low, what maybe 2k a year 3 at most? Then throw
in my half
>of insurance and mtx.. call it another grand or two. That's a
couple to
>three thousand a year.
>
>Any help here?
>
>Please.
>
>JP

I think I made money on most of the Gliders I owned, I only lost
money on the ASH 25.

But the real benefit of owning rather than renting or club Gliders is
availability. The gliders only users are you and your syndicate
partners, so you can work out between you when it is available.

Next the instruments are to your liking and you know how they
work, and the Batteries are kept in good condition, you can make
yourself comfortable, its your parachute which you can get
comfortable in.

You can get to know how the Glider handles and enter
competitions.

If you are just flying the odd hour now and then a club glider is
fine and cost effective, if you want to break records and fly all day
you can't beat your own glider.
Max

Ben Coleman
May 23rd 16, 10:03 PM
Economic and practical arguments are good. But don't forget safety - swapping aircraft regularly will increase your chance of getting it wrong down low. You need your own ship to get intimately familiar with its flying behaviour. There are probably some other irrefutable safety benefits if you think hard. Knowledge of parachute history and aircraft maintenance?
Of course play this card carefully and know your audience - for instance if you spent 6 months convincing her that gliding is not dangerous then maybe disregard this argument line!

Cheers Ben

May 24th 16, 01:23 AM
JP,
In most clubs, you are required to do some kind of duty as part of your club membrship. That has to be taken into account if you fly with various clubs.

Also. as Renny mentioned, club members will not be happy with you if you "prang" one of their gliders and take it out of flying status for the season.

Another consideration is that you will never have access to the glider you want to fly on the really good days because other members will be clamoring to fly that particular glider too, especially if it's relatively high performance.

To reiterate what Renny said, you need to be very familiar with a glider if you are going to do any serious XC safely. Switching gliders could get you in serious trouble in high stress situations like landing out. "What side is the gear actuation handle?"

I have never regreted buying my own glider. After 15 years I could sell it for the same amount paid 15 years ago.

Chuck Zabinski
"ZC"

Ben Coleman
May 24th 16, 01:39 AM
Maybe you should make it a fair deal - offer to buy her an equivalent gift.

Then give her a new Cobra to follow you around with!

Cheers Ben...always seeking equality in gliding

Ramy[_2_]
May 24th 16, 01:51 AM
On Monday, May 23, 2016 at 5:39:55 PM UTC-7, Ben Coleman wrote:
> Maybe you should make it a fair deal - offer to buy her an equivalent gift.

Ron Gleason
May 24th 16, 02:23 AM
On Monday, 23 May 2016 18:51:21 UTC-6, Ramy wrote:
> On Monday, May 23, 2016 at 5:39:55 PM UTC-7, Ben Coleman wrote:
> > Maybe you should make it a fair deal - offer to buy her an equivalent gift.
> >
> > Then give her a new Cobra to follow you around with!
> >
> > Cheers Ben...always seeking equality in gliding
>
> A new Cobra and a nice SUV that is...
>
> I started flying gliders believing that I'll be able to fly wherever and whenever I want by joining clubs, just as I used to when I flew hang gliders. I joined at least 4 clubs/FBO's in my first year but quickly realized that if I am serious about soaring, owning my own glider is the only way to go. With very few exceptions in the US (BASA is one of them), non owners club members rarely get to fly cross country or even get significant soaring time.
>
> Ramy

What Ramy and others have said. clubs are not a path for cheap access to glider rentals. Much behind the scene activities occur at clubs to allow people to learn, fly and mentor others. There are only a few commercial operations around the US that have the resources or ability to maintain a rental pool.

Time to pay the piper

May 24th 16, 02:41 AM
Time to pay the Piper.. I had to laugh. Coincidentally.. my name.

My wife is frugal, and would never let me buy her a toy. She's got the cash sitting in the bank for her next vehicle.. hers turns 10 this year.

I haven't gotten her out to the field to check it out yet. She has less than zero interest in going for a glider ride.

We'll see what my potential syndicate partner says. You never know who's gonna come out of the woodwork when you start talking about sharing a good toy.

JP

JS
May 24th 16, 02:51 AM
There's another hiccup. Others suggest "your own glider", I agree if you're going to take it away for weeks at a time.
A partner might want to fly it too.
Jim

On Monday, May 23, 2016 at 6:41:08 PM UTC-7, wrote:
> We'll see what my potential syndicate partner says. You never know who's gonna come out of the woodwork when you start talking about sharing a good toy.
>
> JP

Ben Coleman
May 24th 16, 02:56 AM
On Tuesday, 24 May 2016 11:21:56 UTC+9:30, JS wrote:
> There's another hiccup. Others suggest "your own glider", I agree if you're going to take it away for weeks at a time.
> A partner might want to fly it too.
> Jim
>

> On Monday, May 23, 2016 at 6:41:08 PM UTC-7, wrote:
> > We'll see what my potential syndicate partner says. You never know who's gonna come out of the woodwork when you start talking about sharing a good toy.
> >
> > JP

They tell me choosing the right partner is key. Someone with sufficient funds, a similar mindset and no time to fly.

Someone asked me recently if I would buy half a glider with them. I clearly need to fly more!!

Cheers Ben

May 24th 16, 03:12 AM
On Monday, May 23, 2016 at 9:51:56 PM UTC-4, JS wrote:
> There's another hiccup. Others suggest "your own glider", I agree if you're going to take it away for weeks at a time.
> A partner might want to fly it too.
> Jim

True.. but being in New England I was thinking more of traveling in the 'off' season. I think it's likely that a syndicate partner could work it out so that you BOTH had a chance to fly it somewhere else. Maybe leave the tow vehicle there and let the other person tow one way.

yes... the right partner is key. I always joke that 'partners are for dancing' however with the purchase price in the area I'm looking at, it's either wait a few years, or get a partner. Honestly.. flying a whole bunch in the 1-35 isn't that bad of an option. I just don't plan on going anywhere with it. It's not too hard to rig, but a little bit of a chore.

JP

Bob Whelan[_3_]
May 24th 16, 04:14 AM
On 5/23/2016 8:12 PM, wrote:
> On Monday, May 23, 2016 at 9:51:56 PM UTC-4, JS wrote:
>> There's another hiccup. Others suggest "your own glider", I agree if
>> you're going to take it away for weeks at a time. A partner might want to
>> fly it too. Jim
>

> True.. but being in New England I was thinking more of traveling in the
> 'off' season. I think it's likely that a syndicate partner could work it
> out so that you BOTH had a chance to fly it somewhere else. Maybe leave
> the tow vehicle there and let the other person tow one way.
>
> yes... the right partner is key. I always joke that 'partners are for
> dancing' however with the purchase price in the area I'm looking at, it's
> either wait a few years, or get a partner. Honestly.. flying a whole bunch
> in the 1-35 isn't that bad of an option. I just don't plan on going
> anywhere with it. It's not too hard to rig, but a little bit of a chore.
>
> JP

Partners - whether in marriage or gliders - are best chosen wisely (IMHO).
Been there, done both, with no major hiccups in either. OTOH, seen lotsa less
than successful choices in both fields...

As for wifey's frugality, there's a lot good to be said for it, if maximizing
retirement funds are a significant consideration. Rotating the tires on my
wife's original-owner/-engine, 280,000+ mile '87 Mustang today got us to
reflecting on the original-owner, 3-engine, '72 Ford Maverick I sold after 37
years for $500 (still a registered, driving, rustbucket when sold), and its
all-but-the-glider-towing-capability replacement '90 Honda CRX HF,
original-owner/-engine, 239,000 mile, 50mpg, everyday-car replacement parked
adjacent to the Mustang. When I think of all the vehicle replacement funds
never spent, taxes saved, etc., retirement bux were undoubtedly saved. Towing
is handled by a bought-used Tacoma these days. Works for us...

As to XC in a 1-35, you *are* aware that the world's first >1,000Km XC flight
in a 21/1 1-26 was made less than a month ago, right? (And by a derned KID,
kinda-sorta in your neck of the woods, he sez with the greatest respect!)
Point being, XC miles come less from the L/D than what's in the pilot's skull.
I've never felt hampered by "limiting myself" to a 1st-generation glass glider
for the bulk of my post 1-26 XC miles.

Meanwhile - "What everyone else has already said," about club dynamics, et al.

Bob W.

P.S. If wifey won't consent to a new Cobra, I'll consent to a mere Cobra
replica. We ARE talking cars, right? :)

Tango Whisky
May 24th 16, 07:01 AM
Hate to say that, but if wifey has a say on which glider you fly, you've made a strategic error years ago. Should be a clear case of wrongful divorce though.

Bert
Ventus cM "TW"

Surge
May 24th 16, 07:26 AM
If money is the main hindrance and you want to fly cross country for leisure and not compete in competitions, have you considered some of the early glass ships that are in the 40+:1 range?
There are some LAK 12's and a 101 Pegase A for sale for $15000 or less on Wings and Wheels.
For $18000 and under you could be flying an Open Cirrus, Speed Astir, T.59D Kestrel, etc.
Yes, some of them may have handling quirks and may not be as nice as the more expensive, newer glass ships but there is still plenty of fun to be had in them at a much lower cost.

I was in a similar situation so I purchased an airworthy Nimbus 2 and nice trailer for approximately $8200 (at current exchange rate). While the handling may not be be every one's cup of tea, it's plenty of bang for the buck without breaking the bank or upsetting the wife.
Club rentals and part ownership was not an option since I just don't trust other people with something that my life depends on. I've seen too many hard landings and glider abuse go unreported and not inspected. Then there is the issue of each member wanting the glider at the same time.

Partnerships work for some people but I'd think that option over very carefully if you plan to fly long cross country flights every weekend.

HGXC[_4_]
May 24th 16, 02:12 PM
On Monday, May 23, 2016 at 9:56:38 PM UTC-4, Ben Coleman wrote:
> On Tuesday, 24 May 2016 11:21:56 UTC+9:30, JS wrote:
> > There's another hiccup. Others suggest "your own glider", I agree if you're going to take it away for weeks at a time.
> > A partner might want to fly it too.
> > Jim
> >

> > On Monday, May 23, 2016 at 6:41:08 PM UTC-7, wrote:
> > > We'll see what my potential syndicate partner says. You never know who's gonna come out of the woodwork when you start talking about sharing a good toy.
> > >
> > > JP
>
> They tell me choosing the right partner is key. Someone with sufficient funds, a similar mindset and no time to fly.
>
> Someone asked me recently if I would buy half a glider with them. I clearly need to fly more!!
>
> Cheers Ben

I always think choosing the right wife is the key! Flying 43 years -:)

Dennis

May 24th 16, 03:36 PM

> I always think choosing the right wife is the key! Flying 43 years -:)
>
> Dennis

I've got the right wife.. she just hates flying. Makes it tough on myself to justify a huge chunk of money on a glider. half of a 24 is well under my pain point. We'll see what comes about.

JP

Charlie Papa[_2_]
May 24th 16, 03:59 PM
On Monday, May 23, 2016 at 12:58:08 PM UTC-4, wrote:
> So.. I bought a share in a 1-35 this winter. I've already had a blast in it this season. I own just 1/4 of it, so not much of an outlay of cash.
>
> I've got the disease pretty bad. I'm interested now in going halves with another club member on something glass and in the 40+ l/d
>
> Lets say a ASW24. I've rented one before at Williams, and had fun in it.
>
> With my own glass ship that travels well, I could hit FL and SW areas in the winter. My job allows me to float about the country pretty easy. In other words, take the glider to FL, work a week out of FL, then fly a few days and bring it back home.
>
> So my wife.. while not being very EXCITED about the prospect of me spending 25 or so thousand dollars on a glider hasn't thrown fits. BUT... she took me for a loop today.
>
> She said, what about just going places to rent? I countered with the fact that many places were clubs, and many places were not renting high performance stuff like that.
>
> When she heard CLUB.. she just said.... well, for the money you are spending, you could join at a couple clubs around the country and travel to them each once a year.
>
> UHHHHH...
>
> now.. off the top of my head, the depreciation on a well cared for glass ship is pretty low, what maybe 2k a year 3 at most? Then throw in my half of insurance and mtx.. call it another grand or two. That's a couple to three thousand a year.
>
> Any help here?
>
> Please.
>
> JP

There is aq syndicate of 3 gliders at Seminole Lake FL, if that's where you want to spend some time in the winter. And they are excellent ships (DG800, LS-8 18, and DG 1000 turbo), and an excellent group of guys. It's close to Orlando, so for her there's the shopping, parks, golf etc. And it's the best flying in eastern NA winter months.

Gordon Walker[_2_]
May 24th 16, 06:04 PM
My take on it,
What you are really paying for with owning a glider is having
something to fly on the really good days. THIS IS THE WHOLE CRUX OF
THE ISSUE
The type of glider is rather less important than having it to fly.

Any of the older glass ships will let you fly decent size tasks at decent
speeds. Once you can turn in really good performances regularly (ie
beating many of the other locals) then maybe something better might
be worthwhile.
As others have intimated if you go the syndicate route chose your
partner with care. If you get a good syndicate partner you will get
more fun than owning on your own as there is always someone willing
to retrieve you and lead you astray for another gliding expedition......

Regards

Gordon

Dan Marotta
May 24th 16, 06:30 PM
Wifey always has a say. Don't you know that, when Momma's happy,
everyone's happy, but when Momma's not happy, nobody's happy?

BTW, Wifey bought me a LAK-17a years back. I repaid the kindness by
buying her a Pipistrel Sinus. I've now sold the LAK and bought a
Stemme, which she loves to fly, so we're selling her Pipistrel... Live
is good! :-D

--
Dan, 5J

May 24th 16, 11:42 PM
https://www.facebook.com/hotbikebaggersmag/photos/a.219938078242.164902.18652238242/10154337159573243/?type=3

Replace "motorcycle" with "glider".....

Oscar-Hotel-Mike
May 25th 16, 01:58 PM
A few seconds;

- I REALLY second the safety angle of owning your own ship. Safety is always a PRIMARY concern for my wife.
- I second that a club; won't let you, or limit you, on XC flights - be angry if you break something - won't like you being a "zoomer" (come/go/not-help) - might have expensive fees - forces you flying only a few locales instead of anywhere - might have the "wrong", substandard or missing safety avionics (i.e. xponder, FLARM).
- I second that your glider partner might not want you to take "his" ship for weeks at a time. So you need to figure to go it alone.

One idea is to try the club-only-ship approach for a year. After a year of your wife hearing your repeated complains, she might see the light. Also, keep a spreadsheet of "club" expenses to prove your financial points.

Good luck, John

May 25th 16, 03:25 PM
Thanks for the tips.

I'm going to try for something simple first. Just bring her over to NH with me to hang out for a day. I'll stay at the foofy bed and breakfast instead of in my inexpensive little RV. I'll send her to the outlet shops when she gets bored.

If I can make that FIRST trip to the glider port go well... I'll see where it leads me.

JP

akiley
May 25th 16, 04:36 PM
I also REALLY second the safety factor. (Likely to be a big selling point for wifie). Newer ships have more crash resistant cockpit designs, more spin resistant behavior and are likely to have some kind of anti-collision equipment.

That said, our local club just leased back an ASW-19b. No flarm, but it has a transponder, and a Zaon PCAS. Compared to our STD Cirrus, it has noticeably better fight characteristics. So check out your local clubs and in the unlikely event that it has an '80s ship or better with some anti-collision equipment, then go to plan B and buy something. At our club all our ships are hangered so no assembly required, plus it seems fairly inexpensive. The ASW-19b is our cross country ship. We can sign it out for however long we want and fly as far as we want, not many people are flying it so I have the best of all worlds. If I was a contest flyer, it would be another story. They frown on trailering it off site for a week.

May 25th 16, 04:50 PM
On Wednesday, May 25, 2016 at 10:25:14 AM UTC-4, wrote:
> Thanks for the tips.
>
> I'm going to try for something simple first. Just bring her over to NH with me to hang out for a day. I'll stay at the foofy bed and breakfast instead of in my inexpensive little RV. I'll send her to the outlet shops when she gets bored.
>
> If I can make that FIRST trip to the glider port go well... I'll see where it leads me.
>
> JP

If you can't get her to drive retrieve you are better off leaving her home. That you have the ability to pull a pass and get out to the gliderport puts you miles ahead of your contemporaries don't screw it up by dragging the wife along.

May 25th 16, 11:47 PM
On Wednesday, May 25, 2016 at 8:50:58 AM UTC-7, wrote:
> On Wednesday, May 25, 2016 at 10:25:14 AM UTC-4, wrote:
> > Thanks for the tips.
> >
> > I'm going to try for something simple first. Just bring her over to NH with me to hang out for a day. I'll stay at the foofy bed and breakfast instead of in my inexpensive little RV. I'll send her to the outlet shops when she gets bored.
> >
> > If I can make that FIRST trip to the glider port go well... I'll see where it leads me.
> >
> > JP
>
> If you can't get her to drive retrieve you are better off leaving her home. That you have the ability to pull a pass and get out to the gliderport puts you miles ahead of your contemporaries don't screw it up by dragging the wife along.

and for God's sake, if you take her with you, DO NOT under any circumstances take her for a ride and make her sick by demonstrating your awesome thermalling skills. She will hate the sport after that...ask me how I know.

May 26th 16, 03:01 AM
LOL

no glider rides. she hates to fly. First date I took her on a seaplane ride. she liked me, so she didn't let on how terrified she was. She hates flying MORE now than when we met. She said we've got a pretty good life now, and she has more to live for than back then.

I'm hoping she won't hate it out at the airport. Hauling a trailer doing retrieves isn't likely anytime soon.. I'm hopeful I can eventually get her driving an RV. Baby steps!

JP

May 26th 16, 11:29 AM
And if she is your crew when you start going to contests ... don't camp out at a cold windy site like Mifflin in May (where you freeze your butt off and the wind is blowing so hard that your tent is flapping all night) ... stay in a Hotel or B&B ... or she won't crew for you again. Ask me how I know.. KK

May 26th 16, 12:37 PM
On Thursday, May 26, 2016 at 6:29:06 AM UTC-4, wrote:
> And if she is your crew when you start going to contests ... don't camp out at a cold windy site like Mifflin in May (where you freeze your butt off and the wind is blowing so hard that your tent is flapping all night) ... stay in a Hotel or B&B ... or she won't crew for you again. Ask me how I know. KK

All the wisdom of other's mistakes. Make me laugh.

I have a dream of traveling and working from an RV a few months a year. My wife and I have a beautiful, very secluded house. Taking the dogs along with us is the idea. We currently have 4 'furry kids' so until we pair down the pack, we won't be trying the RV lifestyle.

JP

noel.wade
May 26th 16, 10:15 PM
Ultimately, the key is having a wife that is comfortable doing "her thing" while you do yours. No matter how you arrange the driving and accommodations, you're going to be in the air for a few hours and she'll be on her own. So make sure she is aware of this and has people to hang out with or a hobby/interest to pursue, during the time you're aloft.

--Noel

May 27th 16, 01:16 AM
Thanks

Being that I go away for a week at a time for work, she's comfortable on her own. Being stuck at a glider port MAY be a bridge too far. We'll find out.

JP

May 27th 16, 08:46 AM
Well you could join multiple clubs but to me being a good club member obliges you to spending a certain amount of time and energy in volunteer work to keep things going as well as putting up the membership and rental fees. As long as you were willing and able to do that rather than just show up for a few weeks every year to use the equipment and then disappear afterwards it could be an option.

If buying the 24 would really put a strain on your finances maybe go for an older glider rather than the club route. It's just too damn nice to actually own your own ship, have it available whenever you need it, set it up exactly the way you want it and get thoroughly familiar with it. If you buy a good one and keep it in good shape you're unlikely to lose much money on the deal.

son_of_flubber
May 27th 16, 02:40 PM
On Thursday, May 26, 2016 at 5:15:35 PM UTC-4, noel.wade wrote:
> Ultimately, the key is having a wife that is comfortable doing "her thing" while you do yours.

I know one couple who made it work in your locale. Wife joined http://www.amc4000footer.org/ Husband flies (and owns a nice glider).

If you go this route, you may be the one waiting around for your spouse to return.

I've climbed a few of 4000 footers in the Whites. Soaring takes less sweat,and costs more money, but the views are better and deer ticks and mosquitoes are a non-issue (unless you land out).

May 27th 16, 07:04 PM
Jp you might enjoy reading an article I wrote thats in this last months May Soaring "Two Bits Gets Silver-a Silver Anniversary". Its the last of a three part series. This was my wifes introduction to crewing LOL.
Dan

May 28th 16, 11:23 AM
On Friday, May 27, 2016 at 2:04:57 PM UTC-4, wrote:
> Jp you might enjoy reading an article I wrote thats in this last months May Soaring "Two Bits Gets Silver-a Silver Anniversary". Its the last of a three part series. This was my wifes introduction to crewing LOL.
> Dan

Dan.. I have been reading the series, I had a good laugh. The drunk 'helpful' mechanic was my favorite part. I get into situations like that ALL the time at small county airports flying private jets. Eventually, you get the job done, but no one believes the crap you have to go through to get there.

JP

May 28th 16, 02:31 PM
JP the biggest trip of all, as you have seen in your back road charter flying is, its all true! I couldnt make up half of what I encounter flying xc around here. I'm glad you enjoyed the series.

In all seriousness, if soaring is something that has become a passion, then it is something you have to pursue within financial responsibility. I have found that to deny whats in your heart leads to a compromise induced form of soul misery. Your wife while knowing that flying isnt her thing, hopefully aknowledges that flying IS yours and its integral to what makes you, you. My wife has no idea how integral soaring is to me. She crewed for me but it was no big deal. When I set a new regional 1-26 record this spring she didnt have a clue what it meant. She even read my articles when I first wrote them but didnt say much, even after they were published. But she does get that flying is my thing and while not actively involved much, she doesnt get in the way either.

Find a bird that you can afford outright. If you can save up and buy an early 70's generation glass (libelle, cirrus, asw15) buy one for cash and fly the wings off it, you will never regret the decision to own your own bird. If you are on a tighter budget or want a real challenge of soaring airmanship get into a 1-26. Thats what I did and I have never had so much fun in my life. Ive had glass and 40/1 ships but the fun and challenge of the little 1-26 has been phenominal. I've got a grand total of 8k invested which got me arguably one of the nicest birds in existance including a custom trailer, and fully stocked modern panel. We have a great association that helps in every aspect of the bird from flying it efficiently to maintenance. And if you have a competative spirit either with yourself (personal goals) or others (competition flying) then the 1-26'ers can fill that nitch. One of the great things about them is, they are very easy to crew for, extreemly rugged and safe, and the top guys while fiercly competative, will share all the tips they used in beating you over an after flight beer. Also, on the crewing front, you can set records and still be very close to home.
There's my advice and commercial LOL. Save up if you need to but buy the bird, then ask for forgiveness afterward.
Dan

May 28th 16, 02:41 PM
Dan

The money isn't the main issue. My wife is tighter than the bark on a tree! She's have the same complaint if I spent 5 or 50 thousand. :)

I can live with half of a 50k ship. My syndicate partner is in his middle to late 60s.. so very likely I'd be buying the other half before I turn 55. Lots of years to enjoy it.

I own the 1-35 now. It's just not so easy to rig and de-rig for travel... and I own 1/4 of it. I'd keep that. It's too cheap not to.

Just looking for something with better legs, easy to rig and travel with, and better tech. I can stomach half. If I were only going it alone.. I wouldn't end up with something much better performance or ease of rigging than the 1-35. I could just fly at commercial places in the off season, and call it good for a few years. Maybe travel and setup the 1-35 for a few months at a time out west or in FL.

I don't think my wife is going to 'get' the lifestyle... but I'm hoping that an RV and brining our 'hair kids' along will work out. We'll see.

JP

May 28th 16, 02:47 PM
Just buy a glider. There are lots of women in the world, but a good glider is hard to find. Just saying.....

Paul Agnew
May 28th 16, 05:24 PM
"I have found that to deny what's in your heart leads to a compromise-induced form of soul misery."

Well said, Dan.

We only get one shot at life and find so many reasons to deny ourselves our own happiness. If there was anything my wife wanted that would make her happy, I'd agree in an instant. She knows that. Yet, for some reason I feel obligated to make a sales pitch for getting my own glider. Money isn't the issue. It's just that a glider is a solitary pleasure that she will take no part in and I feel a little selfish about it. I think we need to take a pottery class together... ;-)

Paul A.
Jupiter, FL

Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)
May 28th 16, 07:27 PM
You thinking "Ghost"?...... We'll all lose to PS, even though he passed away....... :-(

May 28th 16, 09:40 PM
On Saturday, May 28, 2016 at 11:24:32 AM UTC-5, Paul Agnew wrote:
> "I have found that to deny what's in your heart leads to a compromise-induced form of soul misery."
>
> Well said, Dan.
>
> We only get one shot at life and find so many reasons to deny ourselves our own happiness. If there was anything my wife wanted that would make her happy, I'd agree in an instant. She knows that. Yet, for some reason I feel obligated to make a sales pitch for getting my own glider. Money isn't the issue. It's just that a glider is a solitary pleasure that she will take no part in and I feel a little selfish about it. I think we need to take a pottery class together... ;-)
>
> Paul A.
> Jupiter, FL

Bought my wife a new car then bought my first glider, a 20 yr old Std. Class. Made many long flights and flew first contests. Wally Scott flew a 1-35 over 700 miles. He can be quoted "Its the day, not the glider"

Google